U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 09:09 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,221,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
You would not be thrown out for making an appeal, you would be thrown out because after the umpires rejected your appeal, you would remain on the field and keep arguing and arguing and arguing.
Only if my adversary is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 PM

4,847 posts, read 6,356,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
The Tigers are in the post-season in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 1935.
No hockey and the Lions are a huge disappointment thus far. This is very welcome news. I'll put The Year of the Tiger '68 on the turntable tomorrow after work for celebration.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:17 PM

882 posts, read 1,780,220 times
Quote:
Huh? In what manner could someone who has already scored, be passed on the basepath?
Who scored? Once the decision was taken to reset back to the time of the play, then there was no score, as R3 had tagged up on the ball's flight, thus R3's "score", coming after the play in question, was erased, only to be added back @ the replay ruling.

(note that the process I'm describing is by the book - but I have no way of knowing "why" this play was ruled in that fashion)

Old 10-01-2012, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Who scored? Once the decision was taken to reset back to the time of the play, then there was no score, as R3 had tagged up on the ball's flight, thus R3's "score", coming after the play in question, was erased, only to be added back @ the replay ruling.

(note that the process I'm describing is by the book - but I have no way of knowing "why" this play was ruled in that fashion)
As a general rule, common sense prevails, but one can never be sure because the rule book can be very complex on these issues.

In the 1980 NLCS in which the Phillies Kieth Moreland lined to Astros 2B Rafael Landestoy, who trapped the ball, but umps made conflicting calls and at first, runners thought it was caught in the air. Before time was called, there was an apparent triple play, with almost everybody being caught between bases, unsure of which way to go. The umps ruled that it was trapped, and then simply places the runners where they thought they would be, had the play been unambiguously recognized at the outset for what it was, which turned out to just be just a force out at s second.

One hopes that in the case the other night, the umpires would apply the same casebook rule, and award the four runs, but they would also be obliged to ensure that all the runners actually ran around the bases, which of course would have be done in the right order, without anybody missing a base. When a rule entitles a runner to advance, the runner has to actually do so to validate it. For example, a batter who hits a walk-off homer can still be called out if he misses a base. To reset the runners and replay the circling of the bases would be the obvious manner in which the manager could ensure that this actually transpired unambiguously.

After Bobby Thomson's famous homer, Jackie Robinson watched him run around the bases to make sure he stepped on every one. After Geroge Brett's pine-tar homer, when the protested game was replayed, the umpires had in their pockets notarized affidavits from the original umps from that date, certifying that Brett had stepped on all four bases. They knew Billy Martin would start the resumption of the game with appeals at all the bases, ready to ask the umps how they knew Brett had stepped on them, since they did not work the game on the original date. A bit of trivia -- when play resumed, the first Yankee batter was Don Mattingly, who had at that point not yet his his first MLB home run.

Last edited by jtur88; 10-01-2012 at 10:28 PM..

Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 PM

40,848 posts, read 18,553,245 times
Grant Balfour comes in and strikes out the Rangers to preserve a 4-3 win. The A's have clinched a post season spot and ended the seasons for the Angels and Rays.

Oakland can still win the AL West by sweeping the next two against Texas.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:34 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Balfour with one of the most overpowering single inning performances I've seen in awhile.

I doubt you can be more focused.

Old 10-02-2012, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Balfour with one of the most overpowering single inning performances I've seen in awhile.

I doubt you can be more focused.
I was afraid he'd get fixated on striking out the side, and come too close to the plate. I wanted the carcher go out and get him back down out of the clouds. I've seen that happen too many times.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:38 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I was afraid he'd get fixated on striking out the side, and come too close to the plate. I wanted the carcher go out and get him back down out of the clouds. I've seen that happen too many times.
Ever since he had that bad outing a few weeks ago against the Angels he seems like he is on a personal mission there. Though he was always a bit intense, something happened to his attitude after that awful outing and it almost seems like he is just locked in on every single pitch. Pretty impressive, but I hope he can keep his composure out there if a guy or two gets on base.

Looks like he wants to throw the ball straight through the backstop.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:29 PM

46,819 posts, read 36,996,604 times
Well, you don't see this every day or every year: Two teams in the same division with 100 losses.

You guessed it; the NL Central. The Astros and the Chicago Flubs. And they play each other one last time as members of the same league in this 3-game series.

Quote:
Grant Balfour comes in and strikes out the Rangers to preserve a 4-3 win. The A's have clinched a post season spot and ended the seasons for the Angels and Rays.

Oakland can still win the AL West by sweeping the next two against Texas.
And wouldn't that be something?

Old 10-02-2012, 06:33 PM

9,028 posts, read 16,421,659 times
Adam Greenberg didn't have exactly a storybook conclusion in his 1st AB since being plunked by his 1st and only MLB pitch over 7 years ago ......... strikes out on 3 pitches
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or