Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-01-2012, 09:05 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,618,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm going to guess that there is nothing in the rule book about a batter needing to complete a fake swing in order for a home run to count.

I also think that had it been done the way I suggested, simply sending Morse to first and the two runners ahead of him to their respective bases, and letting them all trot home, would not have resulted in any sort of protest.
You are right, there is nothing in the rules requiring it. However, nothing to prohibit it either. So it was within the rules. If they had done what you suggest, I, as manager of the opponents, would have put the ball in play and stepped on bases and asked for an appeal. You never know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 09:16 AM

48,564 posts, read 23,980,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If they had done what you suggest, I, as manager of the opponents, would have put the ball in play and stepped on bases and asked for an appeal. You never know.
Well, yes, we would expect some time wasting, hyper scriptulous argument from you.

Then after you were thrown out, the game could resume.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:28 AM

882 posts, read 2,083,642 times
Quote:
You are right, there is nothing in the rules requiring it. However, nothing to prohibit it either. So it was within the rules. If they had done what you suggest, I, as manager of the opponents, would have put the ball in play and stepped on bases and asked for an appeal. You never know.
Which would have been the only correct response had Morse not started from HP. What a number of folks (esp. press who claim to know better) forget is that in Baseball, every scoring event is derived from a series of steps that must be carried out in the correct order. In this case, otherwise known in the Rulebook as "retouching", base runners must retouch in the correct order or be liable to be put out on appeal. Note that this does not mean that runners will be put out, but a correct retouch eliminates that possibility of runners being put out. It's really that simple.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
An excellent way to phrase the issue. In this case, however, the runners have to return to their original base at the time of the play (7.02), thus Morse would be forced to return home, not first.
Except that Morse was never on base at home, was he? It isn't as though he was "safe" at home and liable to be put out if he didn't return to the batter's box. He certainly isn't required to touch home plate before he advances the bases, is he?

Further, the umps restored the runner at third.... under what possible interpretation of the rules could this man have been in any jeopardy? Either the hit was in play or it was a home run, either way the runner from third scored and is no longer liable for being put out at any base.

If I am wrong, please provide me with an explanation as to how the runner from third could possibly have been ruled out on any sort of an appeal? The ball was put in play, he scored, he wasn't passed by anyone else....why does he need to return to third?

Old 10-01-2012, 01:01 PM

882 posts, read 2,083,642 times
Because, under this interpretation, R3 (or any other) would've been passed had they not been in position.

My $.02 - since there's no defining rule (yet) on replays, this crew decided (?) to enforce a retouch. Once that decision was taken (IMO rather stupid), then by rule, all runners must retouch in order to preserve the play as it stands at the time of the play. Note that doesn't require the plate theatrics (B/R could've restarted by stepping on, then off of 1st), but my opinion is that someone is trying to get the Rules Committee to finally deal w/the results of all possible replays. Convoluted & non sensical? Yep.

Old 10-01-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayess1 View Post
Because, under this interpretation, R3 (or any other) would've been passed had they not been in position.
Huh?

In what manner could someone who has already scored, be passed on the basepath?

Old 10-01-2012, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Well, yes, we would expect some time wasting, hyper scriptulous argument from you.

Then after you were thrown out, the game could resume.
Cite me one instance in the history of baseball, in which a manager was ejected for making an appeal play.

Scriptulous?? Basesball would love it. They could sell it. "Now here's the Hyper-scriptulous appeal play, presented by All-New 4G Burma Shave".

Old 10-01-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Cite me one instance in the history of baseball, in which a manager was ejected for making an appeal play.

You would not be thrown out for making an appeal, you would be thrown out because after the umpires rejected your appeal, you would remain on the field and keep arguing and arguing and arguing.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:29 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,527,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I was rooting for the Angels in both games of the double-header. Now the A's need to sweep the Rangers to win the division...
The Angels have a good chance of picking up more wins against the Mariners in this coming series.

I'm a Mariners fan and have to admit my team is playing lousy right now.
However, I am wondering if there is anyone is cyberland that could possible tape tonight's pre-game and game? I am one of five Ultimate Fans being shown during tonight's broadcast and our city no longer gets the channel for Mariners games.
If a Mariners fan could tape it for me that would be even more special.
Thanks.

Old 10-01-2012, 10:08 PM

The Tigers are in the post-season in back-to-back seasons for the first time since 1935.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball