U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 06:54 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,813,314 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm View Post
I'm not sure I follow. You mean you think if he played more in April and May he'd play better in April and May?
Yes.
The more one plays the more likely one is to play to their talent level.
If he goes 0-10 in April and never bats again, of course his April is going to look worse than it would if he continued playing.

Quote:
I think it's the other way around -- if he'd play better in April and May, he'd be played more.
This is, of course, also true.

Quote:
I'm a time-traveler, just visiting from the future.

I don't know that he's about to bust out, I think it. I suspect it. If I'm really really quiet, I can almost hear it. My projection system sees him swinging the bat very well and projects him to start hitting frozen ropes all over the field and with a batting average not too far from that .330 you put up there, and with a boatload of dingers to go along with it (my projection system doesn't deal with OBP/SLG).
And OF COURSE it's not based entirely on being a Tigers fan -- it's partly based on being a Brennan Boesch fan, too.
So, no, there's no actual reason that I should believe you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 07:43 AM

1,455 posts, read 3,655,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Yes.
The more one plays the more likely one is to play to their talent level.
If he goes 0-10 in April and never bats again, of course his April is going to look worse than it would if he continued playing.
I agree with the first part of that, but with a caveat: I think it's entirely possible that his talent level is a helluva lot higher in August and September than it is in April and May. Why? I have no idea. But year after year this guy seems to suck in the early months and then he's pretty awesome for the last couple months. Maybe he takes a while to warm up? Maybe he doesn't take it seriously till later? Maybe he's cold?

Anyway in his case, if he goes 0-10 in April I'm not sure his April would look better if he keeps playing. He might just go oh for his next 10. Or he could squeak out a blooper. And I suppose one of these years he could go on a tear (I can hope anyway). Who knows? That's part of what makes baseball fun for me.

I'd use him very sparingly until mid-summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So, no, there's no actual reason that I should believe you.
Sure, since there is no actual attempt to convince you of anything. I hereby grant you permission to believe whatever you'd like and to disregard anything and everything I say.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:01 AM

Well I'm convinced.
After watching the Rangers take 3 of 4, they're the better team right now. Yeah, their starting pitching is great and they have a great lineup of hitters, but what stood out to me is how much better their bullpen is than ours. Pretty much every reliever they brought in is someone I'd rather see on the Tigers than the guy who was pitching for the Tigers at the time. It told me something that in a game like this we had to go to a Thad Weber making his major league debut in the 11th inning.

All that being said, we don't have to be better than Texas in the regular season. We just have to win the Central and then when the playoffs roll around hope Verlander and Fister are Verlander and Fister and that we get some timely hitting. But right now? Yeah, Texas is kinda WOW.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:56 AM

Oof. Starting to look like this just ain't our year.

Delmon Young arrested, accused of hate-crime related assault assault in New York City (http://www.freep.com/article/20120427/SPORTS02/120427015/Delmon-Young-Detroit-Tigers-arrest?odyssey=tab%7Ctopnews%7Ctext%7CFRONTPAGE - broken link)

Almost six years to the day after this.

Looks like we have ourselves a real winner here.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Also, I think Brennan Boesch is about to start blowing up any day now on his way to a breakout season.
Quote:
I don't know that he's about to bust out, I think it. I suspect it. If I'm really really quiet, I can almost hear it. My projection system sees him swinging the bat very well and projects him to start hitting frozen ropes all over the field and with a batting average not too far from that .330 you put up there, and with a boatload of dingers to go along with it (my projection system doesn't deal with OBP/SLG).
This was posted towards the end of April

Thus far in May Boesch has hit .263 (with a .300 OBP and .395 slugging percentage). He's hit 2 home runs in May (after hitting 3 in April).

This is why I prefer to use statistics over using my gut

Old 05-25-2012, 03:53 AM

^Yep, my gut was wrong wrong wrong. Tigers are falling apart and Boesch ain't helping much. He's even been dropped from second to seventh in the batting order. He did put together a twelve-game hitting streak at one point, but it was one of the least productive streaks I've seen.

Currently, my gut is telling me that it has no idea what is going to happen next.

Old 05-25-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Currently, my gut is telling me that it has no idea what is going to happen next.
If your gut starts making predictions, I'd consult your head instead.

Old 04-06-2013, 11:15 AM
YAZ

7,083 posts, read 11,862,250 times
2013 thread now.....

Tigers signed Jose Valverde to a minor league contract. Our bullpen is questionable. Hey, he wasn't gone for very long......

Avila crushed one to right field in the home opener......that kid's got some power, eh?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or