U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:10 AM

40,973 posts, read 18,569,815 times

Advertisements

I think people often confuse "outspoken" and "has something worthwhile to say."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 08:15 AM

32,378 posts, read 59,836,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I think reasonable people understand that Ozzie was speaking to Castro's resilience and longevity in the face of such opposition.
Not only do I understand what he meant, I even agree with him, to a degree.

But ... I didn't read the Time story with his comments about Castro in it, but I don't imagine they had much to do with baseball. That was my point about context; perhaps Ozzie should stick to talking about baseball -- or, at the very least, sports in general.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM

968 posts, read 1,525,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Yeah, only the biggest fool on earth would say what he thinks in America and expect to get away with it. Angry gangs in America have absolute power.
Did NBC "accidently edit" his statement or something to fit a narrative?

Old 04-10-2012, 09:38 AM

774 posts, read 651,511 times
Suspended for 5 games

Old 04-10-2012, 04:28 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
Suspended for 5 games
That has to be the worst excuse for a suspension I've ever seen. 1st Amendment anyone?

Old 04-10-2012, 05:01 PM

2,551 posts, read 2,413,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
That has to be the worst excuse for a suspension I've ever seen. 1st Amendment anyone?
Do the Miami Marlins have a 1st Amendment???

Old 04-10-2012, 05:22 PM

40,973 posts, read 18,569,815 times
It is complicated, the dynamics of pc and punishment. There are some forbidden opinions, specifically ones about gender, race or sexuality, which will be fatal to a public figure regardless of when or where they are said.

Ozzie didn't cross one of those lines, his was a poltical violation, the crime of expressing an opinion which offends a powerful special interest group. Still, Guillen could have survived this unscathed had the venue been different. Were Ozzie still employed in Chicago, he could have made those remarks, and then largely ignored what a bunch of Miami hotheads had to say about it.

Where Guillen screwed the pooch was in not considering his new geographic identity. He is now a high profile figure in Miami, home base of those hotheads. The hotheads cannot afford to permit some outsider to enter their home turf in a position of leadership and high community standing, while expressing views which contradict the basis for the hotheads political power...their anti Castroism. Thus, the fury factor had to be cranked up to concert volume.

This is not merely my opinion, it has already happened. If you read the linked article you will have seen:
Quote:
It's not the first time that he has praised Castro publicly. In a Men's Journal interview in 2008, Guillen was asked to name the toughest man he knows.

"Fidel Castro," he said. "He's a bull---- dictator and everybody's against him, and he still survives, has power. Still has a country behind him. Everywhere he goes they roll out the red carpet. I don't admire his philosophy. I admire him."
So four years ago, when Ozzie was in Chicago, he expessed very much the same ideas and no one seemed to feel that a suspension was in order. The anti Castro Cubans in Miami have clout there, but they don't register on the Chicago political meters at all.

Ozzie's big mistake wasn't what he said, it was where he said it. A domino effect followed. The professional Cuban Furiests raise a huge stink, MLB, which now has a large number of Latin American stars and close working relationships with a number of Latin American nations, cannot afford to have the anti Castro crowd calling for ML boycotts or ruining Miami's nice new Tax Payer Rape Stadium by surrounding it with protesters and pickets. So, to circumvent all that, Ozzie gets suspended.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:33 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,430,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Miami's nice new Tax Payer Rape Stadium
I'm sure you are able to explain the details on the financing of the stadium - do you know what tax payers are getting "raped"

Pretty good point up until that completely unneeded and unfounded cheap shot..........

Old 04-10-2012, 05:35 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,418,037 times
Basically Grandstander, the unspoken rule is don't mess with Jews in New York, and don't mess with Cuban-Americans in Miami.

Old 04-10-2012, 05:37 PM

904 posts, read 1,635,237 times
Ozzie Guillen has always been one of the biggest douche bags in baseball. He likes to get his name in the headlines and says things that will get people talking, except this time he took his comments too far in the sense a large portion of the general public, not to mention the city he coaches in, gave him a lot of backlash. He's not sorry for his comments, he's sorry there was a backlash and that he's losing a few good paychecks due to his suspension. He's an idiot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or