U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 08:54 PM

1,603 posts, read 3,661,089 times

Advertisements

Not the smartest comment to be made, but certainly, there has been far worse said ... It's a shame when you're in the spotlight you have to really be mindful of every little thing you do and say ... He'll be ok. Look at Michael Vick. I'd hardly call that guy a role model, yet he's back on top- sickening .... I'd say what he did was A LOT worse than this clown.

People should turn their harsh eye on themselves- it's funny how the media purposely creates havoc and wants to see a trainwreck ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,750,352 times
Having lived in Miami and knowing how the community feels about Castro, I doubt that Ozzie will be able to keep his job.

The puzzling thing to me is how Ozzie's recent remarks would seem to be in contrast to his anti-Hugo Chavez comments last year.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,609,407 times
None of the Cubans went to the games in the old ballpark, so to hell with them, let them stay home from the new ballpark, too. A lot of fans will probably be relieved to go to a place where there are no Cubans. Not everybody in Miami loves the Cubans and kisses their butts and regards them as essential to their wellbeing..

Old 04-10-2012, 10:03 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,504,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Really? The Marlins club contributed 155 million toward the construction, the City of Miami tax payers put up 13 million, and the Dade County tax payers were hit for 347 million bucks.

You sure about that?!

Hard to take much else of that rant seriously when you swing and miss so hard out of the gate

Quote:
For example, the Marlins when campaigning for the tax boost, stressed the fact that the new taxes which would come into being to finance the stadium were mostly ones placed on tourism, making it seem like the burden would be carried by out of towners. Of course that utterly ignores the obvious reality that that same collected tax money could be spent on the Dade County infrastructure or schools, regardless of whether or not it is tourists forking it over.
this was not a new tax - strike two

Quote:
were mostly ones placed on tourism.
good contact, but it went foul

Quote:
Of course that utterly ignores the obvious reality that that same collected tax money could be spent on the Dade County infrastructure or schools, regardless of whether or not it is tourists forking it over.
and strike 3

============

the existing tourist bed tax has a set allocation - the percentage of that which the marlins tapped into absolutely cannot be spent on infrastructure or schools

i agree that public financing of stadiums isn't the best thing .... however, studies do go both ways on this topic and i'm sure there is some balance between public benefit and public cost ....... just many get a little too aggressive in how much they fork over

however, that's the way the current climate is ...... it's a bit silly to lambast the marlins or single them out because they received a deal that is similar to ones that most others have received ........ they were able to do it though without any state money and with the bulk of the cost being carried by existing tourist taxes

Old 04-10-2012, 10:11 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,019,561 times
This whole episode just goes to show how the lunacy of Miami Cubans knows no bounds. The Marlins have imperiled the fiscal health of Miami for generations with that massive rip-off stadium, yet all the Miami Cubans respond to is some lukewarm words of praise for Castro by Guillen. They are whack jobs.

Old 04-10-2012, 10:34 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,504,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
The Marlins have imperiled the fiscal health of Miami for generations with that massive rip-off stadium
Which of course you can quantify................

Old 04-10-2012, 10:42 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,724,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Sorry, you are absolutely right. I should have further qualified that statement.

If I'm quoted in a magazine representing my company in an official capacity, then my company has grounds to discipline me.

If I'm quoted in a magazine as Jane Doe Citizen, then no, my company does not have reason to discipline me if I'm not representing the company when I made the remark. But that was clearly not the case with Ozzie.
If you were pictured in the paper at a Klan rally, even though you were off duty and never mentioned where you worked, I'd think your employer wouldn't be happy and would have every right to fire you if they felt it was making your company look bad.

Old 04-10-2012, 11:34 PM

1,862 posts, read 3,019,561 times
Keep on burying head in sand, Finger Lakes.

Feds open SEC probe into Miami Marlins stadium deal - Miami-Dade - MiamiHerald.com (http://www.miamiherald.com/2011/12/02/v-fullstory/2529191/feds-open-sec-probe-into-miami.html - broken link)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Which of course you can quantify................

Old 04-10-2012, 11:37 PM

41,650 posts, read 18,726,938 times
Finger Laker;
Quote:

i agree that public financing of stadiums isn't the best thing .... however, studies do go both ways on this topic and i'm sure there is some balance between public benefit and public cost ....... just many get a little too aggressive in how much they fork over

however, that's the way the current climate is ...... it's a bit silly to lambast the marlins or single them out because they received a deal that is similar to ones that most others have received ........ they were able to do it though without any state money and with the bulk of the cost being carried by existing tourist taxes
No, there isn't a balance, the studies have shown that it is a benefit to the stadium operators and ballclubs, which does not provide a financial benefit equal to the cost born by the tax payers. You may rely on studies which you imagine must be out there, I elect to rely on studies I have read. Here is a link to one of the most exhaustive I have seen.
http://www.uwlax.edu/faculty/anderso...s/stadiums.pdf
Here is a quote from that study:
Quote:
Few fields of empirical economic research offer virtual unanimity of findings.
Yet, independent work on the economic impact of stadiums and arenas has
uniformly found that there is no statistically significant positive correlation between
sports facility construction and economic development (Baade and Dye, 1990;
Baim, 1992; Rosentraub, 1994; Baade,
I wrote that the ballclubs attempt to deceive the public regarding the actual economic impact. The study states:
Quote:
These results stand in distinct contrast to the promotional studies that are typically
done by consulting firms under the hire of teams or local chambers of commerce
supporting facility development. Typically, such promotional studies project future
impact and almost inevitably adopt unrealistic assumptions regarding local value
added, new spending, and associated multipliers

After I wrote that nearly all the clubs' stadiums deserved to be called Tax Payer Rape Stadium, I don't see the justice of your complaint that I am singling out the Marlins.

If it wasn't a new tax, then where was that money going before it got diverted to stadium construction? If it could not go to schoools or the infrastructure, where could it go? No community benefit at all?

The specific financing was the sale of bonds, how is that not a new tax? Bonds sales mean that down the road revenues will have to be extracted from the taxpayers, to pay off the interest on the bonds. It is the state or the city borrowing twenty five bucks and obligating itself to pay back $32.50 or whatever the rate demands, five or ten years later. What is your idea about where that extra $7.50, times however many millions of bonds are sold, is going to come from? If not the taxpayers, who?

Old 04-11-2012, 12:47 AM

3,983 posts, read 5,793,315 times
The Marlins suspended him because he said something inflammatory that is now costing the Miami Marlins a ton of business. They are trying to save face with their paying customers. You see, a good number of people living in Miami are Cuban refugees or their descendants. A good number of them have family members who were tortured and/or killed by the Castro regime. If you worked somewhere and said something that deeply offended a good number of the establishment's paying customers, you would probably be fired. Words have consequences. The 1st Amendment protects your right to speak your mind. It does not, however, exonerate you from the responsibility associated with the consequences that may arise from them.

The funniest part of this whole thing is that Guillen berated Sean Penn for offering his more-or-less supportive perspective on Hugo Chavez (Guillen is from Venezuela). He went on and on about how horrible Chavez was and how offended he was by what Sean Penn said. You would figure that he would be sensitive to how heavy his words might be on the ears of a Cuban-American.

To further illustrate what kind of ignoramus Ozzie Guillen is, he hates Chavez but admires Castro. Chavez is a well documented populist disciple and close friend of Castro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or