U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-11-2012, 12:48 AM
 
3,982 posts, read 5,764,761 times
Reputation: 4039

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Having lived in Miami and knowing how the community feels about Castro, I doubt that Ozzie will be able to keep his job.

The puzzling thing to me is how Ozzie's recent remarks would seem to be in contrast to his anti-Hugo Chavez comments last year.
Precisely. The irony is quite thick, isn't it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-11-2012, 12:53 AM
 
9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times
Reputation: 6814
Bonds are not tax instruments .... They just are not ..... These particular bonds are held against revenue from the bed tax ..... At least the portion that is specifically set aside for sports, arts, etc ..... That money had to be spent on something and sports its one of the things specifically mentioned in the law

I'd you want to argue sports vs other items where that money can legally go that is fine. However the schools, cops and infrastructure emotional play that is so frequently touted its just wrong.

Also note that you are not wrong in saying taxpayers ..... Just Miami Dade taxpayers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 01:01 AM
 
3,982 posts, read 5,764,761 times
Reputation: 4039
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post


you're employed by your employer to do a specific task during work hours, the rest is your prerogative.
That's not true. Especially, if you have a contract (which Guillen does) that states you can be reprimanded or dismissed for actions or statements that are not in line with the image the organization wishes to present.

Another good example of this is the firing of Bobby Petrino (the Arkansas Razorbacks football coach). His "prerogative" (as a married father of four) was to fraternize with a 25 year old female assistant. Adultery is not illegal, but it is usually considered immoral. However, even though he did nothing criminal, he was fired "with cause." And, you may soon find out, that the "cause" was a clause in his contract that stated he could be fired for moral turpitude which is conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty, or good morals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 02:24 AM
 
1,862 posts, read 3,004,304 times
Reputation: 2109
I would have fired Petrino because he misled the university about the details of his accident. Firing someone for a "moral" offense like adultery is pretty dumb. It's his wife's job to 'fire' him for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
That's not true. Especially, if you have a contract (which Guillen does) that states you can be reprimanded or dismissed for actions or statements that are not in line with the image the organization wishes to present.

Another good example of this is the firing of Bobby Petrino (the Arkansas Razorbacks football coach). His "prerogative" (as a married father of four) was to fraternize with a 25 year old female assistant. Adultery is not illegal, but it is usually considered immoral. However, even though he did nothing criminal, he was fired "with cause." And, you may soon find out, that the "cause" was a clause in his contract that stated he could be fired for moral turpitude which is conduct that is considered contrary to community standards of justice, honesty, or good morals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 05:27 AM
 
1,378 posts, read 3,699,765 times
Reputation: 1740
Petrino put his girlfriend on the payroll in the athletic department.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Hometown of Jason Witten
5,985 posts, read 3,737,533 times
Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
None of the Cubans went to the games in the old ballpark, so to hell with them, let them stay home from the new ballpark, too. A lot of fans will probably be relieved to go to a place where there are no Cubans. Not everybody in Miami loves the Cubans and kisses their butts and regards them as essential to their wellbeing..
Of the many ethnic communities in south Florida, the Cubans comprise an overwhelming majority. No business (including baseball) can thrive without their support. When I first arrived in Miami, my new boss taught me the most important thing to know about doing business there: Cuba has long been a melting pot society and there is no Cuban race. A great many Cubans are Caucasian, so you'd better know who you're talking to before you start denigrating the Cubans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 07:03 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post

The puzzling thing to me is how Ozzie's recent remarks would seem to be in contrast to his anti-Hugo Chavez comments last year.
On the contrary. They would only seem to be in contrast to an observer who know nothing about Cuban or Venezuelan history, and nothing about Castro or Chavez, and who number-paints everything in black and white according to a Fox News palette. In fact, if anything, it demonstrates that Guillen was not praising Castro necessarily with respect to anything Castro might have done that is analogous to anything Chavez has done.

I other words, it shows that Guillen, unlike nearly all the posters on message boards and most of the news media, has actually sat down and thought about Castro and the various facets of his life and influence, and made distinctions in which he has found that, like everyone else, Castro had a complex of qualities that encompassed the good, bad, and indifferent, each of them to be judged on its own merit irrespective of each other.

As I understand it, Guillen praised Castro for being a survivor against a sustained onslaught of overwhelming adversity, and I have a hard time understanding why that is considered a bad thing by people who worship John Wayne and the rest of the defenders of the Alamo for exactly the same reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 07:19 AM
 
Location: NY
9,072 posts, read 15,041,236 times
Reputation: 11514
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As I understand it, Guillen praised Castro for being a survivor against a sustained onslaught of overwhelming adversity, and I have a hard time understanding why that is considered a bad thing by people who worship John Wayne and the rest of the defenders of the Alamo for exactly the same reason.
That does seem to be what Guillen was doing, and it is the sound bite media of the US to distort and portray outside of context.

For the Marlins, it is a win either way. They hired Guillen to open his mouth to increase interest in the team. This has gotten them a ton of publicity in Southern Florida. Plus, by suspending him, the Marlins look like the good guys too.

They increase interest in the team, come out looking good, and hope it pays off at the box office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Hometown of Jason Witten
5,985 posts, read 3,737,533 times
Reputation: 1915
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
As I understand it, Guillen praised Castro for being a survivor against a sustained onslaught of overwhelming adversity, and I have a hard time understanding why that is considered a bad thing by people who worship John Wayne and the rest of the defenders of the Alamo for exactly the same reason.
I fail to find any similarity between Castro's power grab and the Texas settlers' struggle for independence from Mexico. But I think most of us can agree that Ozzie should talk about baseball and avoid subjects he knows very little about, especially history and political science.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-11-2012, 09:18 AM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Reputation: 36087
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I fail to find any similarity between Castro's power grab and the Texas settlers' struggle for independence from Mexico. But I think most of us can agree that Ozzie should talk about baseball and avoid subjects he knows very little about, especially history and political science.
Yes, they were different. Castro wasn't acting to perpetuate the institution of slavery. The settlers would have been perfectly happy living in Mexico, except for the inconvenient fact that Mexico was one of the civilized nations that had already outlawed the slaves that the settlers wanted to bring with them in chains. The brave men of the Alamo fought to the death for nothing else but their beloved principles of slavery.

I don't know what you do for a living, but it's pretty obvious that you should stick to talking about that, and not about history or political science.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-11-2012 at 09:35 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top