U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 12:34 PM

9,035 posts, read 16,475,782 times

Advertisements

again - further down the rabbit hole, now we are just into detail

you abhor public financing for stadiums - i merely dislike it & feel that sometimes it's a bitter pill that goes with some other positive food

honestly, not worth the time and effort to take it from here and it's even further off topic...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 04:52 PM

4,916 posts, read 3,991,568 times

Clearly, this IS proof that Castro is on the DARKSIDE!!!!!

Old 04-13-2012, 07:08 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,215,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onceahogalwaysahog View Post
Almost every time he is interviewed something like this happens. Are we just realizing this now? Why do you think easy going guys like Nick Swisher have problems with him?

Old 04-14-2012, 08:51 AM

2,374 posts, read 3,067,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
The Marlins suspended him because he said something inflammatory that is now costing the Miami Marlins a ton of business. They are trying to save face with their paying customers.
Cite please....

did you see opening night? there were lots of empty seats, So. FLA is notorious for it's "fans" not being too attached to "their" teams.

if the Cubans are so populous and important to every part of the economy then why couldn't they even put a butt in every seat on opening night?

give it about a year, it will become another White elephant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I agree that slavery was a consideration for those settlers who chose to invest in the emerging cotton economy of Texas. But other major causes of unrest among the settlers were the requirements that they learn to speak Spanish, be loyal to the Mexican government and convert to Roman Catholicism.

But getting back to the original premise, Ozzie Guillen's comments infuriated the children and grandchildren of Cuban refugees, many of whom had been stripped of their personal property and forced to work in the agricultural fields. Although Cuba had abolished slavery in the 1880's, the treatment of these people wasn't much better.
see, this is the problem with america, everyone's a victim of something, everyone grabs onto one little minority status issue and wails at their horrors, never mind the fact that they themselves or even their parents never actually endured said hardship.

everyone feels the need today to wrap themselves up in the cloak of victimhood about some perceived wrongdoing. We've become a nation of professional victims drowning in our sorrows.

I miss the days when someone heard something that they didn't like or agree with and they simply got on with their life.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:00 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,013,008 times
I'm going to call bs on that one. It's true many of the Miami Cubans had property taken from them, and did some collective labor/prison time, but then again they were in bed with the previous regime. These guys made sure most Cubans lived in poverty, while reaping massive wealth for themselves and their US corporate and US mafia benefactors.

A revolution is not a dinner party, as the saying goes, and it sucks for you if you are on the losing side.

Quote:
I agree that slavery was a consideration for those settlers who chose to invest in the emerging cotton economy of Texas. But other major causes of unrest among the settlers were the requirements that they learn to speak Spanish, be loyal to the Mexican government and convert to Roman Catholicism.

But getting back to the original premise, Ozzie Guillen's comments infuriated the children and grandchildren of Cuban refugees, many of whom had been stripped of their personal property and forced to work in the agricultural fields. Although Cuba had abolished slavery in the 1880's, the treatment of these people wasn't much better.

Old 04-14-2012, 01:04 PM

2,374 posts, read 3,067,311 times
announced attendance at last nights game: just over 30K

capacity: over 36K

seen with real eyes: about half full

they can't even fudge a sell-out in a brand new, several times used, state-of-the-art, white elepha... uh, I mean stadium

Old 04-14-2012, 05:47 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,744,967 times
When I lived in south Florida a vast majority of the people I met were either Yankee or Cub fans. I assume this is still the case.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:39 PM

8,163 posts, read 13,215,685 times
Quote:
When I lived in south Florida a vast majority of the people I met were either Yankee or Cub fans. I assume this is still the case.
This can be said for the tampa area as well. Especially because spring training for the Yankees is right there. Even now the Rays don't have a tremendous local fan base.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:41 AM

1,821 posts, read 2,334,719 times
Just wanted to point out that the Marlins made people sign up for the opportunity to buy about 2000 tickets for opening day. 2 per person would be allowed. About 20,000 people signed up. Then they released a few more if you bought tickets to 4 other "selected" games. They could've easily sold out if they would've just released all available seats. I guess they tried to force people into going to more games than just opening day. Let's see what they come up with to fill the stadium in a few weeks.

Old 04-15-2012, 07:28 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,744,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
This can be said for the tampa area as well. Especially because spring training for the Yankees is right there. Even now the Rays don't have a tremendous local fan base.
And this is why I'm skeptical about MLB support in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or