U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:12 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,336,032 times

Advertisements

You're right, I shouldn't have said vengeance was the ONLY reason. Vengeance was a component in the timing of the performance of GBA at games, though, and cannot be divorced from it.

It was widely held that Curt Schilling spoke for the entire baseball community when he was bathed in network glory for writing:

"Like a lot of people, my thoughts Tuesday afternoon steered towards revenge, retaliation, retribution, in just how hard we could hit back."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 08:29 PM

1,305 posts, read 1,257,303 times
I think there reaches a point where being "too patriotic" comes across as almost fake and disingenuous.

It's the difference between tell your wife "I love you" and "Who's my smoochie boochie...I love you more...no no no, I love you more."

Old 05-18-2012, 02:02 PM

41,134 posts, read 18,604,845 times
I would find all the patriotic claptrap at ballgames less annoying if I liked the songs being utilized. I enjoy it when Canadian teams are in town and "Oh Canada" is played or performed, it is a nice tune, good to sing along with if you are so inclined.

Our national anthem is terrible in both lyrics and music. The Star Spangled Banner salutes the fact that Americans who are fortified in a stone installation, were able to survive a night of naval bombardment. Is that really everything about the character of the nation which should be celebrated in our national theme song? Worse, the entire event took place in a war which we had no business starting, and regardless of spin doctoring, certainly did not win.

The muscic was not written by Key, it was lifted from "The Anacreontic Song" by John Stafford Smith, a British subject. It is all about drinking and singing and having a bawdy time..the first verse:
Quote:
ANACREON in Heav'n, where he sat in full Glee,
A few Sons of Harmony sent a Petition,
That He their Inspirer and Patron wou'd be;
When this Answer arriv'd from the JOLLY OLD GRECIAN
"Voice, Fiddle, and Flute,
"No longer be mute,
"I'll lend you my Name and inspire you to boot,
"And, besides, I'll instruct you like me, to intwine
"The Myrtle of VENUS with BACCHUS's Vine.
To Anacreon in Heaven - Tomlinson

So, our national anthem is to the tune of a British drinking song.

And the tune is hardly a toe tapper, who would listen to it if it wasn't our anthem? Trying to sing it has destroyed the reputations of numerous professional performers over the years and humiliated many amatuers. (The worst I ever heard was on Kilpatrick Bread Day at Candlestick in the early '80's when the wife of the owner of Kilpatrick's Bakery came out to give us her version. She was horrible, could not sing a lick, it was so awkward and embarrassing that half way through most everyone in the stands began singing along just to try and drown her out.)

"God Bless America" is a nicer melody, showing the difference when something is written by a professional songwriter. However the lyrics assume a belief in a diety, and further call upon this diety to shower special favors upon our nation...at the expense of any other nation?

So...what should our national anthem be? Among existing patriotic airs, I am partial to "This Is My Country" which is a terrfic tune and has lyrics which are free of religious expressions. In the alternative, we could at least update the existing anthem and get some new lyrics which say something about America beyond the fact some people in Baltimore survived getting shelled, something more appropriate to what is actually going on......like..

"While we stand here waiting
For the ballgame to start
Let's give thanks from our hearts
For our homes and our cars

Take a minute right here
Raise your eight dollar beer
Snap a fancy salute
With a great roaring cheer

Got no kings and no dukes
Uncle Sam is a hoot
And if foes should arise
We will give em our nukes

Oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave...etc (the last verse is okay as it is.)

Old 05-18-2012, 06:24 PM

2,290 posts, read 3,244,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I get why MLB did this in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. But now it's permanent and it pisses me off. One love of country display per ballgame is enough. And GBA isn't even our national anthem. When I go to games, I absolutely refuse to observe this ritual. It's the worst kind of feaux bumper sticker 'patriotism'. If I'm at home, I change the channel. What's next--reciting the Pledge of Allegiance after every pitching change?
Agreed! I hate this song and the politics / culture it represents. Get rid of it!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:46 AM

5,886 posts, read 4,193,619 times
Who cares? If you don't like it don't go to baseball games. I'm an atheist and to the point of anti-religion yet I don't give a crap if they choose to acknowledge their mythical deity during sporting events. To paraphrase Thomas Jefferson it "neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

Old 05-21-2012, 08:20 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,553,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
Who cares? If you don't like it don't go to baseball games.
Unfortunately, if you extend that concept it could cause problems. For example, our money says "In God We Trust." Suppose you don't trust in God; does that mean you shouldn't use the money?

I, personally, don't think that "God Bless America" should be played at baseball games, because the National Anthem should be sufficient. But I wouldn't stop going to games just because I don't agree with the song. (I don't agree with huge screens that shove advertising in your face, either. Or the price of food at stadium concession stands).

Old 05-21-2012, 02:22 PM

3,325 posts, read 4,546,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
So then you wold be equally in favor of a 7th inning song call on God to equally bless all the people in the world, including Iranians and North Koreans, right? Since there is no intention to single out only certain people to receive God's blessing? Which obviously implies that other people be left out of the blessing. Maybe we could rotate it through the nations -- tonight we take off our hats and put our hands on our hearts and pray to God to bless Surinam, to make sure nobody gets slighted by God at our behest, for which we would have to take a share of the blame.

Stupid comment. I won't have to worry about them singing God Bless (enter name of country here) because A) It doesn't exist. and B) They won't sing it because we live in America. Not those other countries. You are upset that a song isn't including all other countries in it?? Pretty silly thinking there. Tell you what; before you eat your next meal, make sure EVERYONE else in the world has food first. Then you can eat. Ok?

What day did they start playing GBA at games? Was it pure coincidence that they just happened to start the day Americans were being whipped into an apoplectic frenzy of vengeance? The ONLY reason we started playing GBA at the games was to instil an unalloyed spirit of pure blind hatred and vengeance in the hearts of the American people, and endorse a trillion-dollar rampage of vengeance that so wonderfully enriched the shareholders of defense contractors. Were you old enough to remember that?

Not only was I old enough, I was directly affected by the terrorist attacks you are referring too. You seem more upset at our response to these attacks and efforts to unite most of our people rather than the attacks themselves. Apologists like you are hysterical. You are 100% wrong about what you think is the reason it's recited today. Tell you what buddy, you can defend the terrorists all you want but without God Bless America there would have been the same amount of hatred in our hearts for the terrorists that murdered innocent civilians.

By the Way, I think most, if not all, ballpark now do GBA only on Sundays. I guess they figure that God has a long enough attention span that he can keep our prayers in his rolodex for a whole week without having to keep repeating them over and over again.

Nope. I was at the Reds-Yankees series from Friday through Sunday. God Bless America was played at every game. Everyone stood and cheered. Sorry to burst your bubble.

You hate God and America. Good. We get it.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
You're right, I shouldn't have said vengeance was the ONLY reason. Vengeance was a component in the timing of the performance of GBA at games, though, and cannot be divorced from it.

It was widely held that Curt Schilling spoke for the entire baseball community when he was bathed in network glory for writing:

"Like a lot of people, my thoughts Tuesday afternoon steered towards revenge, retaliation, retribution, in just how hard we could hit back."
No, no, no. Don't be cowardly and backtrack on what you said. You meant what you said so be man or woman enough to stand by it.

Old 05-21-2012, 02:25 PM

I was at all of the Reds-Yankees games this past weekend and God Bless America was played. It was terrific. Everyone showed respect and the cheers were loud as usual when the song ended.

Of course, I wish Ronan Tynan would be allowed back to sing it. Oh well. My Reds took 2 of 3 so I was happy.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:57 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,807,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theroc5156 View Post
[/color]

You hate God and America. Good. We get it.
I think he just hates God Bless America being played at baseball games, but feel free to hyperbolize as you see fit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or