U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 10:14 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with the OP. I won't stand up when Lee Greenwood sings "God Bless the USA", either. Wouldn't be so bad if it didn't also shove Monotheistic Religion down our throats.

It was particularly amusing when His Excellency The Acting Commissioner ordered fans in Toronto to stand and sing a paean to a foreign power. Imagine if the spectators in a Nashville-Dallas NHL hockey game were all asked to stand at attention and listen to a playing of "Barrett's Privateers" between the second and third periods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2012, 09:01 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,737,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Imagine if the spectators in a Nashville-Dallas NHL hockey game were all asked to stand at attention and listen to a playing of "Barrett's Privateers" between the second and third periods.
I agree. "Sloop John B" would be a much better choice.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I get why MLB did this in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. But now it's permanent and it pisses me off. One love of country display per ballgame is enough. And GBA isn't even our national anthem. When I go to games, I absolutely refuse to observe this ritual. It's the worst kind of feaux bumper sticker 'patriotism'. If I'm at home, I change the channel. What's next--reciting the Pledge of Allegiance after every pitching change?
The obvious solution to this horrible patriotic travesty is to place a warning label on all MLB ticket stubs. The warning should say, "Anyone who might be offended by any song written by Lee Greenwood or Irving Berlin should not attend this event." The TV networks could post similar warnings for the protection of unsuspecting baseball fans.

Old 04-11-2012, 01:58 PM

40,953 posts, read 18,569,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Th The warning should say, "Anyone who might be offended by any song written by Lee Greenwood or Irving Berlin should not attend this event." .
That isn't a satisfactory solution, I would have no objection to "Alexander's Ragtime Band" or "Puttin' On The Ritz" as a 7th inning singalong.

Old 04-11-2012, 04:28 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,259,760 times
We bet "Deep in the Heart of Texas" by Bob Wills, at our college and minor league games here.

Old 04-11-2012, 07:32 PM

6,304 posts, read 6,676,230 times
Quote:
I get why MLB did this in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. But now it's permanent and it pisses me off. One love of country display per ballgame is enough. And GBA isn't even our national anthem. When I go to games, I absolutely refuse to observe this ritual. It's the worst kind of feaux bumper sticker 'patriotism'. If I'm at home, I change the channel. What's next--reciting the Pledge of Allegiance after every pitching change?
Yah..... That'll show them.

Old 04-12-2012, 02:27 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,003,799 times
Not even remotely my point, but whatever. Snark on, dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLWH View Post
Yah..... That'll show them.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
That isn't a satisfactory solution, I would have no objection to "Alexander's Ragtime Band" or "Puttin' On The Ritz" as a 7th inning singalong.
I was trying to be facetious, as I do not consider this to be a major problem that I'll be losing any sleep over.

Last edited by Ridgerunner; 04-12-2012 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: Sp.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:26 AM

20,976 posts, read 16,265,689 times
Quote:
I would smack you in the head if I saw you disrespect America like that.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
We bet "Deep in the Heart of Texas" by Bob Wills, at our college and minor league games here.
Excellent choice. "Lone Star beer and Bob Wills music have kept my heart alive since you've been gone" (Red Steagall).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or