U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 02:09 AM

4,277 posts, read 5,171,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Wow, tell us how you real feel? I can't understand why this would bother you, It certainly doesn't bother me. We can never display too much Patriotism. At least in my view we can't.
Eh, it just bothers me because I don't like the fact that it is aired on TV during games now instead of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." I think at the stadiums they do both, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:09 AM

21,334 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I propose a compromise solution that would give equal consideration to those who despise God and America. Prior to the game there could be a ceremonial flag-burning in the outfield, accompanied by Gershwin's "It Ain't Necessarily So."
I propose taking this in another direction by requiring the national anthem to be played whenever mom comes into the room or a slice of apple pie is served.

Old 04-19-2012, 08:47 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,738,747 times
Here in the low minor leagues where I live, they play "Centerfield" by John Fogerty. What a great baseball song!

But back to the topic at hand. I think enough time has elapsed since 9/11 to dispose of the GBA ceremony and get back to the good old days. My all-time favorite seventh inning stretch song was played at the Orioles home games. It was "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" by John Denver, a silly uptempo country song that always brought the crowd to life.

Old 04-19-2012, 09:21 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,702,105 times
GS-What do you do during the anthem when you attend a game?

Old 04-19-2012, 10:31 AM

41,047 posts, read 18,589,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
GS-What do you do during the anthem when you attend a game?
I stand up, take off my hat and sing along if it is a just the music being presented. If it is someone singing it, I stand there and critique the singer.

If it is the Blue Jays in town, I give the Canadian Anthem a loud and lusty singalong because unlike our Anthem, I can hit all the notes properly. Then I wait around acting all innocent and distracted, for compliments from the surrounding strangers on my singing. They always say..."You must be Canadian"..under the apparent assumption that no American knows all the words to the Canadian Anthem. I explain that I am not.

What did you think I did?

Old 04-19-2012, 02:34 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,305,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
What do you do during the anthem when you attend a game?
Myself, I do the same thing I would do in any other country when their national anthem is played. I politely stand, respectful of the pride and patriotism that the people around me have for their country and their flag, and comport myself with appropriate solemnity. What else would one do during the public playing of any national anthem?

For those who believe in such pageantry, I'd like for one of you to present us with a comprehensive list of the kinds of events at which you think the anthem ought to be played, and GSA, and the events at which you think it is not necessary.

For example, should it be played before a movie? If not, why not? What is the difference between a ball game and a movie?

Old 04-19-2012, 07:44 PM

72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
Eh, it just bothers me because I don't like the fact that it is aired on TV during games now instead of "Take Me Out to the Ballgame." I think at the stadiums they do both, right?
and I do love 'take me out to the ballgame" I can undestand your feelings, but most here seem to object to the fact it is a patriotic song. If they had put it the way you have, I can understand.

Old 04-19-2012, 07:45 PM

72,014 posts, read 83,688,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I propose taking this in another direction by requiring the national anthem to be played whenever mom comes into the room or a slice of apple pie is served.
are we supposed to laugh? Sorry, I don't find your comment very funny.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:35 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,802,384 times
So...I'm the only one that says the Pledge of Allegiance, Hail Marys and Takbeeratul-Ihram before posting in the baseball thread?

Old 04-20-2012, 01:45 PM

21,334 posts, read 21,912,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
are we supposed to laugh? Sorry, I don't find your comment very funny.
I'm sorry too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or