U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2012, 04:24 AM

3,451 posts, read 8,156,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I get why MLB did this in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. But now it's permanent and it pisses me off. One love of country display per ballgame is enough. And GBA isn't even our national anthem. When I go to games, I absolutely refuse to observe this ritual. It's the worst kind of feaux bumper sticker 'patriotism'. If I'm at home, I change the channel. What's next--reciting the Pledge of Allegiance after every pitching change?
I totally agree. At the very least, mix up the songs that are played in the 7th inning. Some suggestions:

"America the Beautiful"
"My Country 'Tis of Thee"
"This Land Is Your Land"

IMO, "God Bless America" is the worst of all of the aforementioned songs, both in terms of the quality of the song and the jingoism it promotes. (On the flip side, I sometimes sing - not during "God Bless America" at baseball games but when the thought pops into my mind - a pseudo-cover version of the song called "Gag in the Bag" using God Bless America's melody in honor of the western fast food chain Jack in the Box, which my recently-deceased uncle liked to call Gag in the Bag. Unlike my uncle, I actually like Gag in the Bag's, I mean Jack in the Box's, food.)

Last edited by CHIP72; 04-21-2012 at 04:49 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Here in the low minor leagues where I live, they play "Centerfield" by John Fogerty. What a great baseball song!

But back to the topic at hand. I think enough time has elapsed since 9/11 to dispose of the GBA ceremony and get back to the good old days. My all-time favorite seventh inning stretch song was played at the Orioles home games. It was "Thank God I'm a Country Boy" by John Denver, a silly uptempo country song that always brought the crowd to life.
They still play Denver's song at Orioles games. At some games, there is a fan who dresses as a fiddler and sits in the first section of the club level next to the press box on the 3rd base side who (pretend) plays along with the song.

Last edited by CHIP72; 04-21-2012 at 04:42 AM..

Old 04-21-2012, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I propose a compromise solution that would give equal consideration to those who despise God and America. Prior to the game there could be a ceremonial flag-burning in the outfield, accompanied by Gershwin's "It Ain't Necessarily So."
We'll make sure Rick Monday is ready in the outfield.

Incidentally, I have no problem with people supporting God or America; I support both myself (though with God especially I do it in a way that resonates with me and isn't aligned with some organized religion's concept of what supporting God is supposed to be about). What I do have a problem with is the idea that God should bless America over other countries. Was it not that type of thinking, as illustrated by the writings in Genesis (Old Testament) and the idea that God "chose" a group of people over all other peoples, regardless of what good or bad any of those groups of people did, that created the conflict between Jews/Christians and Muslims?

Last edited by CHIP72; 04-21-2012 at 04:41 AM..

Old 04-21-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Perhaps instead of singing "God Bless America," everyone in attendance could smack the person seated next to them over the head for some perceived transgression (it could be political, religious, sports oriented--say, the person was wearing a cap from the opposing team--or any other reason).
I always wondered where the Three Stooges got their inspiration from, and Fred314X's comment prompted a flash of realization on my part. Thanks Fred!

Old 04-21-2012, 09:40 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,738,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIP72 View Post
We'll make sure Rick Monday is ready in the outfield.

Incidentally, I have no problem with people supporting God or America; I support both myself (though with God especially I do it in a way that resonates with me and isn't aligned with some organized religion's concept of what supporting God is supposed to be about). What I do have a problem with is the idea that God should bless America over other countries. Was it not that type of thinking, as illustrated by the writings in Genesis (Old Testament) and the idea that God "chose" a group of people over all other peoples, regardless of what good or bad any of those groups of people did, that created the conflict between Jews/Christians and Muslims?
Yes, it was.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:55 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
Look. Everybody has a device, OK?. If you go to a baseball game and can't last the whole three hours without a Religious/Patriotic fix, load GBA into your device, put on your ears, stand up and put your hand on your heart, and listen to it all weepy-eyed during the seventh inning stretch. But don't force me to stand there and listen to it, too, I don't have the pathological addiction to pageantry.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-21-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-23-2012, 08:33 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,540,265 times
Suppose they just played the baseball game without any adornments? (I know, I know--this is much too radical to merit serious consideration).

Old 04-23-2012, 12:18 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,738,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Suppose they just played the baseball game without any adornments? (I know, I know--this is much too radical to merit serious consideration).
Best idea I've heard in years.

Old 04-23-2012, 04:00 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
Jeez. Yesterday I was watching the Pirates game, and the public address preamble to GSA dragged on longer than the song itself, with its litany of glowing acknowledgements of all that is patriotically holy, dropping with weepy euphemisms for murder and mayhem. And then it was sung by some tone-deaf little girl whose saluting daddy just came home from one of our wars.

Old 04-23-2012, 08:00 PM

1,378 posts, read 3,701,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What did you think I did?
I had no idea, that's why I asked. I didn't think you went on some loud rant against the playing of the anthem, but thought perhaps you sat in a silent protest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or