Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:31 PM

9,131 posts, read 19,997,945 times

Advertisements

I don''t have a problem with "God Bless America" in general, but I agree that interrupting a baseball game, to have everyone stand and listen/sing it is a bit much. We already have the national anthem played beforehand. It is sufficient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 07:03 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I don''t have a problem with "God Bless America" in general, but I agree that interrupting a baseball game, to have everyone stand and listen/sing it is a bit much. We already have the national anthem played beforehand. It is sufficient.

I agree. I never have understood this either. "God Bless America" is no different than "America the Beautiful" or "Yankee Doodle Dandy". It's a patriotic song, but not one where people need to remove their hats and stand at attention. Chat it up, eat your hotdog, use the restroom if you need to. It's not the National Anthem.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
So, Yankee Stadium Takes This No Moving During "God Bless America"-Thing Rather Seriously

ETA: I wasn't there. I don't know what happened other than what this individual claims.
On August 26, 2008, a fan at a Boston Red Sox game at Yankee Stadium, who had attempted to leave for the restroom during the playing of the song, was restrained and ejected by NYPD officers. As part of the settlement of a subsequent lawsuit, the New York Yankees announced that they would no longer restrict the movement of fans during the playing of the song.

On September 15, 2009, three high school teens filed a lawsuit against New Jersey's minor league Newark Bears for being ejected from Eagles Riverfront Stadium over their refusal to stand during the playing of "God Bless America" on June 29, 2009. Before being ejected, they were asked to leave the stadium by Bears' president and co-owner Thomas Cetnar.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:55 AM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I agree. I never have understood this either. "God Bless America" is no different than "America the Beautiful" or "Yankee Doodle Dandy". It's a patriotic song, but not one where people need to remove their hats and stand at attention. Chat it up, eat your hotdog, use the restroom if you need to. It's not the National Anthem.
If I were a concessions vendor I would want the tradition to go away.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:03 AM

1,855 posts, read 3,608,205 times
Well you guys may be reading about me in the papers one day, because I absolutely will not stand and observe GBA and if they throw me out I'll definitely be filing a lawsuit of my own.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:28 AM

I swear that I've been to games where people are quieter and more respectful for the playing of GBA than they are for the National Anthem.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:21 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
I get why MLB did this in the immediate aftermath of 9/11. But now it's permanent and it pisses me off. One love of country display per ballgame is enough. And GBA isn't even our national anthem. When I go to games, I absolutely refuse to observe this ritual. It's the worst kind of feaux bumper sticker 'patriotism'. If I'm at home, I change the channel. What's next--reciting the Pledge of Allegiance after every pitching change?
Wow, tell us how you real feel? I can't understand why this would bother you, It certainly doesn't bother me. We can never display too much Patriotism. At least in my view we can't.

Old 04-15-2012, 01:23 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm all for showing proper respect during the National Anthem and this undue elevation of GBA's status into this level actually detracts from the appropriate respect that should be afforded the only national anthem we have.

Besides, Woody Guthrie's 'This Land is Your Land' is way better than GBA.
now, I can buy the part about "this Land is your Land" no matter who sings it.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:07 PM

1,378 posts, read 4,360,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoutboy View Post
Well you guys may be reading about me in the papers one day, because I absolutely will not stand and observe GBA and if they throw me out I'll definitely be filing a lawsuit of my own.
I think most tickets have something on the back that says they can kick you out for any reason.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:15 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongtimeBravesFan View Post
I think most tickets have something on the back that says they can kick you out for any reason.
But they have to terminate the contract by refunding face value of the ticket. So if you buy a $80 ticket from a scalper outside for $20 to see a late season game of a team that collapsed, and then refuse to stand up for GSA, you can pocket a quick $60, and see 7 innings of baseball.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball