U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 06:00 PM

12,272 posts, read 11,326,033 times

Advertisements

I have traveled a lot for work and sometimes the only thing I can get is MLB radio in remote locations. A good deal for about $15 per season.

Having relocated this year to San Diego (my new 2nd favorite team the Padres) hardly are ever on TV. Now I have a running feud with MLB prices and "deals". For one thing it's expensive and another they black out games for no gaddam good reason. Opening day here was blacked out and it was a sellout. Locals tell me there is also a problem with the Padres Management that does not help this situation.

So is there a real deal whereby I can watch games that anyone knows of? I have Apple TV bells whistles galore as my new family includes a tech wiz you has got us SET UP. I looked at the prices and they are expensive still.

MLB just pisses me off over and over again. They won't even let reporters tell fans about the game score and all during the game to "persuade" fans to buy MLB program line up.....say it ain't so Bud.

Dang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 06:32 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,433,841 times
Since the Padres are your 2nd favorite team - I hope you didn't buy any of the sports packages to just watch them while you are in the SD market

The home team is always blacked out in those packages - has to deal with protecting broadcasting rights of the local channels - which are currently paying out massive sums

The Padres are aligned with Fox Sports San Diego - if you get this channel you get most every Padres game

If you do not get this channel, you probably have Time Warner (one of their 210,000 local subscribers), Dish Network or ATT U-Verse

These things usually work out pretty quickly, but this one can be very ugly given that the padres have an ownership stake in the network, the padres are for sale and time warner is highly invested into the dodgers

Best bet is to find a friend or a bar that has a different provider or simply change your service

Old 04-14-2012, 12:23 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Mlb.tv never blacks anything out "for no goddam good reason", but as required by MLB's agreement to do whatever the hell anybody pays them enough money to do. Every area of the US is in the blackout zone of at least one team, and the whole state of Iowa is blacked out for six teams, and so is southern Nevada. The Royals are blacked out from the Wyoming state line to Mississippi, and the Mariners to the North Dakota state line. And all games of all teams are blacked out everywhere on Saturday afternoon, the day the Brinks truck from Fox arrives at MLB's loading dock.

http://media.247sports.com/Uploads/B...447/401307.jpg

If you subscribe to mlb.tv, each time you log on, they read the IP number from your exact location, and black you out according to which teams have the TV rights in that area. When the announcers on your games pitch the mlb.tv package so you can watch your favorite team "everywhere", they mean everywhere except in the states or regions where your favorite team is protected, and they make no effort to make that clear.

Last edited by jtur88; 04-14-2012 at 12:33 PM..

Old 04-14-2012, 05:40 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,737,533 times
Apparently the Braves are blacked out in my area after 7:45 p.m. That was when they pulled the plug Friday night.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 AM
Status: "Dow hits new high - over 27,000!" (set 3 days ago)

46,878 posts, read 37,036,075 times
You'd be best off going to a sports grill or some other place that has baseball on at this point in time.

Old 04-15-2012, 11:14 AM

7,836 posts, read 19,574,743 times
MLB.TV is $130 for the Premium level or $0.36 cents a day or $2.50 a week or $10.83 month. I think this is a very good price considering you can watch up to four games at once. I used to just buy directv just for baseball but after paying $90 a month or $1,080 a year just for baseball it seemed better sense to buy MLB.TV.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:55 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
MLB.TV is $130 for the Premium level or $0.36 cents a day or $2.50 a week or $10.83 month. I think this is a very good price considering you can watch up to four games at once. I used to just buy directv just for baseball but after paying $90 a month or $1,080 a year just for baseball it seemed better sense to buy MLB.TV.
It's 19.99 a month, which adds up to your $130 during the months of the baseball season. I think there is a free game every day, if you don't care which game you see, but to follow your favorite team, you need to ante up. The old baseball package that used to be offered by my cable company was, I think, about $200 for the season. The mlb.tv package can be bought on a month-to-month basis, and you don't need to buy the whole season.

Games involving the teams in your protected area, home and away, will always be blacked out. In other words, I can never get any Astros or Rangers games on mlb.tv. Not even the ones that are not televised on channels I can get.

Old 04-16-2012, 06:48 PM

7,836 posts, read 19,574,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
games involving the teams in your protected area, home and away, will always be blacked out. In other words, I can never get any Astros or Rangers games on mlb.tv. Not even the ones that are not televised on channels I can get.
True which sucks but that's the way it is.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:28 AM

2,217 posts, read 3,087,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post

I've gotten mlb.tv for about the last 4-5 seasons. Do you know how many "users" can be logged in at once?

I got a friend who was interested in watching games but I know they play the same time my Dodgers do a lot.

Old 04-17-2012, 10:39 AM

11,084 posts, read 17,559,406 times
I finally gave up on being an out of market Padres fan in Dallas. The games start too late for me, for the most part. At this point I only recognize a couple of names on the roster.

I sure miss the good ole days of Gwynn, Finley, Caminiti, Hoffman, et. al.

If you have Time Warner in San Diego, you get the Padres games on this channel, unless something has changed recently.

4SD : Channel 4 San Diego - Powered by SignOnSanDiego.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball