Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2012, 05:48 PM

8,012 posts, read 8,173,125 times

Advertisements

Well I was looking for a thread that addressed this but I couldn't find one so here we go. It became official this weekend. The Nationals have finally shut down Steven Strausburg for the rest of the season and the postseason it looks like. Needless to say I think the move is just stupid. I'm sure that going into the season the Nats themselves probably wouldn't have thought they would be in the position they're in now but now that they are Why not put your best players out there and go for it all?

Isn't winning a championship the goal of every organization out there? Who knows if these guys will ever get this opportunity again? Look at how the White Sox fell off after they won it all in '05? or how the Diamondbacks fell off after they won it all in '01. This team has a bonafide one-two combo in Strausburg and Gonzalez. The type that could carry a team over the top. They should just let the guy pitch.

Well what do you guys think about the move to shut down Strausburg? Is it a good idea or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2012, 07:44 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,490,296 times
I think this is going to set a precedent...and not a good one. And before you know it, this sort of thing will have attained a perverted sort of legitimacy, just like the 'pitch count.'

Besides, suppose the Nats make the playoffs. How long would it take Strasburg to be ready to play after an extended time out? (Alternatively, suppose they wind up NOT making the playoffs by a game or two. A game or two that Strasburg might have delivered for them. Fans will never forgive the front office).

Old 09-10-2012, 09:48 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,632,595 times
Mark my word.. the Nat will regret this move NOT just this year but for MANY MANY years to follow..
This is bare none the STUPIDIST thing I have ever seen in sports and if I was a Fan of the NATs, I would no longer be..

Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 AM

42,579 posts, read 86,637,395 times
What I find genuinely mind-boggling is that the Nationals management were able to predict, before the season even began, exactly how many innings Strasburg would be able to pitch this year, and they nailed it, almost right to the inning. An astounding feat of prognostication. I wonder what else they predicted. Who's going to win the World Series. The presidential election. The Dow Jones average. If only they would announce these things for us all to know.

By the way, look what the Yankees did to Joba Chamberlain, trying to protect him..

Old 09-10-2012, 11:23 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,236,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
What I find genuinely mind-boggling is that the Nationals management were able to predict, before the season even began, exactly how many innings Strasburg would be able to pitch this year, and they nailed it, almost right to the inning.
What are you talking about?

As I mentioned above, they put him on the same plan as they put Zimmermann. It can certainly be debated whether or not that was the correct plan, but it has nothing to do with prognostication.

Quote:
By the way, look what the Yankees did to Joba Chamberlain, trying to protect him..
Correlation does not equal causation.

Grandstander has the best post in this thread. Everyone should read it before commenting.

EDIT:
Except the two posts I'm referring to aren't even in this thread.

Here they are:
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
In this case I have to believe in the superiority of the information that the Nationals have.

The Nationals went through this exact situation with Jordan Zimmermann

In 2009 Zimmermann pitched about 100 innings (between the majors and minors) before having TJ surgery in his age 23 season.
In 2010 Strasburg pitched about 123 innings before having TJ surgery in his age 21 season.

In 2010 Zimmermann pitched 71 innings after rehabbing most of the season
In 2011 Strasburg pitched about 44 innings after rehabbing most of the season

In 2011 Zimmermann pitched 161 innings before being shutdown.
In 2012 Strasburg pitched 159 innings before being shutdown.

In 2012 Zimmernamm has pitched 171 innings so far

It appears they are following about the same plan. It's been quite successful with Zimmermann.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I don't know if this was an needed move or not, and none of us ever will know with certainty. Had he continued to pitch, and then been plagued by injuries next season, the official wisdom would blame overuse from the previous year, whether or not that really was the cause. The same with shutting him down, if he is healthy all next year, some will claim that it was because of the protective moves, but we really won't know. Of course if they shut him down and then he winds up sore armed next year anyway, the conventional wisdom will be left without a clear bumper sticker summary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball