U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-30-2012, 08:02 AM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,738 posts, read 10,018,914 times
Reputation: 3268

Advertisements

I've been watching Harper and I'm impressed. He has made some fielding gaffes and a base running gaffe or two, but the kid plays hard and I've watched him stretch 2 routine singles into doubles, simply by running hard.

He seems to be the real deal, and can teach some of the lazy veterans a thing or two about running and playing hard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,473 posts, read 16,325,477 times
Reputation: 5314
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Good, I hope he becomes another Ted Williams, still doesn't negate my previous comments about both him and Trout. I suspect both may be great players, but still would have liked to see them stay at AAA for a couple of months prior to being promoted.

Baseball is a game of adjustments, and we'll see how successfully he adapts to major league pitching over the long term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 03:43 PM
 
Location: Marietta, GA
7,738 posts, read 10,018,914 times
Reputation: 3268
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
but still would have liked to see them stay at AAA for a couple of months prior to being promoted.
Why? If he's contributing in the majors, why keep him in the minors?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-30-2012, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,473 posts, read 16,325,477 times
Reputation: 5314
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Why? If he's contributing in the majors, why keep him in the minors?
Mike Trout called up by Angels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 06:36 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,302 posts, read 6,843,733 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Not enough time in AAA, should have stayed down until the end of May to see if the pitchers were going to figure out how to work him at the plate.
Well, now it's the end of May and pitchers don't seem to have been able to figure out how to pitch to him.

I still don't understand why it's better to let minor league pitchers figure out how to pitch to him than it is to let major league pitchers figure out how to pitch to him. I still don't understand why it's better to let him adjust to minor league pitchers than it is to let him adjust to major league pitchers.

I still think you just see his age and don't take much else into account.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 03:42 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,473 posts, read 16,325,477 times
Reputation: 5314
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Well, now it's the end of May and pitchers don't seem to have been able to figure out how to pitch to him.

I still don't understand why it's better to let minor league pitchers figure out how to pitch to him than it is to let major league pitchers figure out how to pitch to him. I still don't understand why it's better to let him adjust to minor league pitchers than it is to let him adjust to major league pitchers.

I still think you just see his age and don't take much else into account.
So what? This means he is doing well so far, and perhaps he will be one of the few greats who can pull off coming up at such a young age.

Thinking I look at age and nothing else is pretty silly, isn't it? You don't think I take performance into account at all in evaluating prospects? You really think that to be true???

I don't see why you have difficulty understanding my point of view, even if you disagree with it. He had a good year in the minors last year, but spent the majority of it at Low A. When moved to AA for a bit over a month, he didn't do well at all (.256/.329/.395). With his AA OPS of .724, if he had sufficient at bats he would have finished 41st among qualifying batters. This isn't a surprise or criticism, since he skipped High A.

Now he starts this season in AAA, despite his struggles at AA last year. After nearly a month in AAA, he isn't doing very well (.250/.333/.375) yet gets promoted to the majors.

So, I thought he could have used some more time in the lower pressure minor league environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,302 posts, read 6,843,733 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
So what? This means he is doing well so far, and perhaps he will be one of the few greats who can pull off coming up at such a young age.

Thinking I look at age and nothing else is pretty silly, isn't it? You don't think I take performance into account at all in evaluating prospects? You really think that to be true???
I'm only going by what you've said.

Quote:
I don't see why you have difficulty understanding my point of view,
Perhaps you haven't presented it well.

You've posted about things like 'confidence' and 'adjustments'. You've been asked direct questions regarding your comments and have not responded

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24158451-post12.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/24191125-post13.html

This is why I have difficulty understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-01-2012, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,473 posts, read 16,325,477 times
Reputation: 5314
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I'm only going by what you've said.


Perhaps you haven't presented it well.

You've posted about things like 'confidence' and 'adjustments'. You've been asked direct questions regarding your comments and have not responded

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24158451-post12.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/24191125-post13.html

This is why I have difficulty understanding.
You choose to only look at things like a SABR robot, which is your right. That doesn't mean reasons haven't been clearly, and frequently, presented.

His minor league performance up until the time of promotion didn't indicate him being ready for the majors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-02-2012, 09:13 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,302 posts, read 6,843,733 times
Reputation: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
You choose to only look at things like a SABR robot
Asking questions and attempting to get answers is the basis of SABR. If that makes me a 'robot' so be it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
That doesn't mean reasons haven't been clearly, and frequently, presented.
If you've presented why it is preferable to allow minor league pitchers to learn how to pitch to a batter, then have the batter learn to adjust to minor league pitchers, then to repeat the process at the major league level I have missed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-03-2012, 05:51 PM
 
Location: Sacramento
13,473 posts, read 16,325,477 times
Reputation: 5314
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
If you've presented why it is preferable to allow minor league pitchers to learn how to pitch to a batter, then have the batter learn to adjust to minor league pitchers, then to repeat the process at the major league level I have missed it.
If you disagree with that process, then you simply disagree with the need for minor league baseball.

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-03-2012 at 11:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top