U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,820,918 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
If you disagree with that process, then you simply disagree with the need for minor league baseball.

That's not true at all.

Some players aren't good enough to contribute to the major league team in the present. That's what the minor league system is for.

Harper was good enough to contribute in the majors, there was no reason for him to continue in the minors.

Now, can you explain why a hittr who is capable of hitting at the major league level should learn to adjust to minor league pitchers, then learn to adjust to major league pitchers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:38 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,838,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

That's not true at all.

Some players aren't good enough to contribute to the major league team in the present. That's what the minor league system is for.

Harper was good enough to contribute in the majors, there was no reason for him to continue in the minors.

Now, can you explain why a hittr who is capable of hitting at the major league level should learn to adjust to minor league pitchers, then learn to adjust to major league pitchers.
Sure, see post #16 in this thread.

Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Sure, see post #16 in this thread.
The number of times I have read it is in stark contrast to it's content on the subject.

Quote:
So what? This means he is doing well so far, and perhaps he will be one of the few greats who can pull off coming up at such a young age.

Thinking I look at age and nothing else is pretty silly, isn't it? You don't think I take performance into account at all in evaluating prospects? You really think that to be true???

I don't see why you have difficulty understanding my point of view, even if you disagree with it. He had a good year in the minors last year, but spent the majority of it at Low A. When moved to AA for a bit over a month, he didn't do well at all (.256/.329/.395). With his AA OPS of .724, if he had sufficient at bats he would have finished 41st among qualifying batters. This isn't a surprise or criticism, since he skipped High A.

Now he starts this season in AAA, despite his struggles at AA last year. After nearly a month in AAA, he isn't doing very well (.250/.333/.375) yet gets promoted to the majors.

So, I thought he could have used some more time in the lower pressure minor league environment.
I see nothing about why a hitter who is capable of hitting major league pitching should learn to adjust to minor league pitchers and then repeat the process in the majors (of course they will repeat this process repeatedly at the major league level).

Of course, maybe I am the problem. If you could point it out explicitly for me, it would be appreciated.

Old 06-04-2012, 09:15 AM

13,784 posts, read 23,838,418 times
Quote:
The number of times I have read it is in stark contrast to it's content on the subject.

I see nothing about why a hitter who is capable of hitting major league pitching should learn to adjust to minor league pitchers and then repeat the process in the majors (of course they will repeat this process repeatedly at the major league level).

Of course, maybe I am the problem. If you could point it out explicitly for me, it would be appreciated.
Nope, we aren't going to continue this silly "looped" discussion any further.

We already went through the exchange in the Trout thread, and to repeat it over and over serves no purpose, besides boring me and others reading these threads.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24155946-post11.html

If Harper were failing badly, you'd be silent today.

Only his success since being promoted is giving you traction in this discussion.

The bottom line (and you can feel free to post whatever you want after this posting so you can have your critical "last word") is that he wasn't doing very well in the minors at the time of promotion, nor had done so at limited AA time last year.

Last edited by NewToCA; 06-04-2012 at 06:01 PM..

Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 AM

Quote:
you can feel free to post whatever you want after this posting so you can have your critical "last word")
Ah yes. The ol' "I'll get the last word by giving you the last word" gambit.

Quote:
We already went through the exchange in the Trout thread, and to repeat it over and over serves no purpose, besides boring me and others reading these threads.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/24155946-post11.html

If Harper were failing badly, you'd be silent today.
We can the quality of your intuition by your suggestion that Harper's confidence would be shattered by being rushed to the big leagues. This seems similar.

Quote:
The bottom line is that he wasn't doing very well in the minors at the time of promotion, nor had done so at limited AA time last year.
Probably because his confidence was ruined by playing at such a low level when he should have been a big leaguer.

[/word]

Last edited by filihok; 06-05-2012 at 06:06 AM..

Old 06-06-2012, 06:51 AM

Budweiser: Walk-Off A Hero | NYM@WSH: Nats walk off on Harper's single in the 12th - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Imagine that would have been a walk-off homer if his confidence hadn't been shattered by being rushed to the big leagues...either that or his confidence would have been boosted greatly by getting that hit off a AAA reliever.

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,309,830 times
Ugggh Harper. Boooooo.

Old 06-09-2012, 12:32 AM

Furthering some peoples' notions that Harper is an emotionally fragile, immature 19 year old kid, in his first game in historic Fenway Park:

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@BOS: Strasburg strikes out 13 over six innings - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia
Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | WSH@BOS: Harper makes a running catch in the second - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

3 for 5 with a 2B, HR and 3 RBI.

Of course, he did get caught off base between 1st and 2nd so the Nats would surely have been better off had Harper been with the Syracuse Chiefs playing against Louisville in Alliance Bank Stadium.

Old 06-10-2012, 07:24 AM

Currently, Bryce Harper is having the 4th best offensive season by a rookie player under the age of 20 in major league history.

1884 Oyster Burns 56% better than the average hitter
1945 Whitey Lockman 44% better than the average hitter
1884 Fred Carroll 56% better than the average hitter
2012 Bryce Harper 38% better than the average hitter

Major League Leaderboards 2012 Batters Dashboard | FanGraphs Baseball

He's just above
Tony Conigliaro 37% better
Jimmie Foxx 33% better
Mel Ott 26% better
Ty Cobb 19% better

If Harper can continue at this pace, he'll have put together one of the most impressive rookie seasons in major league history.

Old 06-12-2012, 09:57 PM

41,280 posts, read 18,638,985 times
Quote:
If Harper can continue at this pace, he'll have put together one of the most impressive rookie seasons in major league history.
He has stepped up the pace since you wrote the above, having two games with three hits in each, including a massive homerun today.

Just think what he could be doing if only he had gotten more minor league seasoning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball