U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 03:17 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,816,736 times

Advertisements

If Bryce Harper isn't the best prospect in baseball, then there's a good chance that Mike Trout is.

Both of them are in the bigs now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2012, 07:38 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,741,708 times
Sounds fishy to me.

Old 05-01-2012, 08:58 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,834,051 times
Same concern I have about Harper, should turn out to be really good, but I don't like seeing guys rushed before they're ready.

I've just seen too many "sure fire future all star" players not pan out over the past 50 years. Some do, but many don't.

Old 05-01-2012, 10:35 PM

41,238 posts, read 18,629,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Sounds fishy to me.
And he came to LA straight from Salt Lake.

Old 05-02-2012, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Same concern I have about Harper, should turn out to be really good, but I don't like seeing guys rushed before they're ready.
What leads you to conclude that he's not ready? His age?

Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
What leads you to conclude that he's not ready? His age?
Not enough time in AAA, should have stayed down until the end of May to see if the pitchers were going to figure out how to work him at the plate.

Thinking back to guys who were top prospects like Ben Grieve, I think he would have potentially had more success if given additional time in AAA to see if pitchers figure out how to exploit his weaknesses.

Last edited by NewToCA; 05-02-2012 at 11:04 PM..

Old 05-03-2012, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Not enough time in AAA, should have stayed down until the end of May to see if the pitchers were going to figure out how to work him at the plate.

Thinking back to guys who were top prospects like Ben Grieve, I think he would have potentially had more success if given additional time in AAA to see if pitchers figure out how to exploit his weaknesses.
What's magic about the end of May?

Why should the Nationals let minor league pitchers figure out how to work him at the plate instead of major league pitchers? Suppose Harper has some glaring weakness that can be easily exploited. Wouldn't it be better to let him hit in the majors for a month instead of the minors before that weakness is exposed? At least then, the Nationals would get a month's use out of him.

Old 05-03-2012, 07:42 AM

I disagree filihok, I think it is about the long term investment in the player, not squeezing out usage moment to moment.

Two months at AAA provides enough time for the other clubs to figure out how to work him, and see if he can adjust. After all, the ability to adjust is likely one of the most important aspects concerning major league batting success.

Old 05-03-2012, 11:15 AM

41,238 posts, read 18,629,386 times
Adjustment works both ways, pitchers learn how to cope with Harper, Harper learns how to cope with the pitchers. I do not see why such a concern should be any sort of factor, the adjustment dynamic goes into operation no matter when he is brought to the big leagues. If Harper can hit ML pitching now, there is nothing to be gained by having him remain in the minors other than thrilling the minor league fans.

Old 05-04-2012, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Two months at AAA provides enough time for the other clubs to figure out how to work him, and see if he can adjust. After all, the ability to adjust is likely one of the most important aspects concerning major league batting success.
Agreed with Grandstander.

Why can't the Nationals see if he can adjust at the big league level? What is different about learning at the minor league level?

Quote:
I disagree filihok, I think it is about the long term investment in the player, not squeezing out usage moment to moment.
Sure.

But...if Harper is able to adjust he should be able to adjust to big league pitchers. Right?

If Harper is unable to adjust (in the minors or in the majors) then wouldn't the Nationals be better served to get at least a month's worth of use out of him as opposed to none at all?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball