U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-22-2012, 12:09 AM

6,741 posts, read 11,128,861 times
This guy is a tool!

ESPN.com Baseball beat writer Jim Caple joins the Sports Revolution 6-21-12 by 1025thegame on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2012, 05:37 AM

2,813 posts, read 3,116,723 times
The trend towards corporate named parks is terrible IMO. I think it waters down the baseball experience, makes it bland, generic, nondescript.

"I went to minute maid park. I went to At&T park. I went to Chase park". There's no soul or personality with these places.

-If baseball was smart, they would have limited the corporate names to a few. Maybe Coors Field (fits being in colorado). Turner in Atlanta. Maybe a few others. But the stadiums sound like a supermarket.

-There's no advertising on uniforms (yet). There's no advertising on the field or on the mound. All the corporate names are crazy.

Orioles Park at Camden Yards was brilliant. Thats a stadium done right. Not too much, great lineage to the past. Brilliant use of the warehouse.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 PM

Battle of the Ballparks -- Miller Park defeats AT&T Park - ESPN

Wow never knew how many people hated Brewer fans but after dominating every round of this espn poll and having to deal with Caple rooting for every other stadium but Miller Park! Congrats Milwaukee I say we are the most underrated and some of the most loyal sports fans in the country!

Old 06-22-2012, 07:29 PM

1,145 posts, read 869,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
The trend towards corporate named parks is terrible IMO. I think it waters down the baseball experience, makes it bland, generic, nondescript.

"I went to minute maid park. I went to At&T park. I went to Chase park". There's no soul or personality with these places.

-If baseball was smart, they would have limited the corporate names to a few. Maybe Coors Field (fits being in colorado). Turner in Atlanta. Maybe a few others. But the stadiums sound like a supermarket.

-There's no advertising on uniforms (yet). There's no advertising on the field or on the mound. All the corporate names are crazy.

Orioles Park at Camden Yards was brilliant. Thats a stadium done right. Not too much, great lineage to the past. Brilliant use of the warehouse.
The issue is since most stadiums are tax payer funded now a days it is mighty tough to turn down $50 million in some cases for naming rights. That is a big chunk of the cost of a stadium to turn down in the name of tradition.

And they were really close to having Spiderman 2 ads on the bases in '04.

I also agree Camden is a gem, heck it was the trend setter for this latest generation of ballparks.

Old 06-22-2012, 07:45 PM

Battle of the Ballparks, What Brewers Fans See in Miller Park

Old 06-22-2012, 08:42 PM

2,813 posts, read 3,116,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamjacobm View Post
The issue is since most stadiums are tax payer funded now a days it is mighty tough to turn down $50 million in some cases for naming rights. That is a big chunk of the cost of a stadium to turn down in the name of tradition.

And they were really close to having Spiderman 2 ads on the bases in '04.

I also agree Camden is a gem, heck it was the trend setter for this latest generation of ballparks.
I think what makes Camden good, its a good balance between the past and present. Modern amenities and seating. But it looks like something from 80 years ago. Great incorporation of Baltimore's past.

The irony with naming is a lot of these companies go out of business, merge, or get bought out. Remember Enron field, lol? Or they got swept up in the dot com bubble, like 3com park.

It is tough to turn down a lot of money, but too many ads start to look garish after awhile. You don't want the dugout looking like a Nascar stock car.

-I think good stadiums factor in elements of the neighborhood and city they are in.

Old 06-22-2012, 10:23 PM

701 posts, read 435,569 times
no one mentioned Yankee Stadium?

lol guess I'm biased since that's the only stadium I have ever been to

Old 06-23-2012, 05:15 PM
rfp

337 posts, read 231,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
There's no advertising on uniforms (yet).
Take a close look at the Miller's uniforms (I'm referring to the logo "M") and tell me that is not corporate advertising. How much did the ball club get paid for that? Milwaukee will always be a minor league town.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfp View Post
Take a close look at the Miller's uniforms (I'm referring to the logo "M") and tell me that is not corporate advertising. How much did the ball club get paid for that? Milwaukee will always be a minor league town.

Looks nothing like the Miller M

Nice try Minor Leaguer!

Old 06-24-2012, 10:03 AM

2,932 posts, read 2,669,259 times
Top three (in alpha order): AT&T, Fenway, Wrigley

Best of the rest (in no particular order): Camden Yards, PNC, Target, Dodger Stadium*

* YES! DODGER STADIUM! MLB's third oldest park is a classic, even with its huge size and its symmetry. Don't forget this was once called the Taj Mahal.

When DS was built, the Dodgers were The Franchise in the NL. Gold plated and solid. Now I realize that when DS was built, the circumstances were far different than the Yankees' new Yankee Stadium.

Ebbets Field, for all its acclaim, was not exactly a baseball palace and besides, the team now was LA, not Brooklyn, and they were not going to pay tribute to it (that would have to come with the Mets and Citi Field). So the Dodgers neither had the circumstances of the Yankees nor would they have wanted to, so of course they built something new and unique, yet something still so consistent with the great green game of baseball.

So to me how do YS and DS compare? IMHO, LA runs rings around NY. They created something new; they didn't try to recreate the old. DS is an original. And while LA goes hob to hob with NY as a place to see and be seen and where the $$$$ flows easily, Dodger Stadium still seems far more down to earth (even in a majestic way) than the Yankees' new temple to greed is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball