U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 05:05 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,690,048 times

Advertisements

Why no acclaim for Citizen's Bank Ballpark in Philadelphia? I grew up in South Jersey a bit, and enjoyed Veterans Stadium, believe it or not. As a 12-year-old in the 70s, the place seemed so glamorous! That Lowry organ, the waterfall, astroturf, different colors of seating levels...

The new park hashad national attention in recent post-seasons, so can't call it ignored. But is it that ordinary and uneventful? Never been, but I realize the area is not one to spend time before or after the game?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2012, 05:21 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,690,048 times
Oh, forgot to add that the distant skyline is visible from some upper-level seats (?) which someone said is not true in Cincy?

Old 06-24-2012, 06:12 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,781 times
Best looking stadiums in the league to me are PNC Park, Target Field, Citizens Bank Ballpark, Busch Stadium and Camden Yards.

Old 06-24-2012, 08:23 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,086,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Oh, forgot to add that the distant skyline is visible from some upper-level seats (?) which someone said is not true in Cincy?
If I alluded to that in my criticism of Great American Ballpark, my bad. You can most definitely see the skyline from the upper level (same as you could at Riverfront along the first base line).

The problem is that, in my opinion, home plate faces the wrong direction, unlike PNC Park, which has Downtown Pittsburgh as its backdrop. Great American Ballpark's is...the perennially brown Ohio River and the Northern Kentucky suburbs.

Old 06-24-2012, 09:43 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,183,836 times
I haven't followed baseball much in the last 10 years, I've been out of the loop. Ever since the steroid scandal, the Bonds mess, Clemens, etc.

When did Nike start advertising on pitching gloves? I saw that tonight on CC Sabathia's glove. I also think I saw the nike swoosh on the catchers chest protector. Interesting product placement. They made the logo big enough to show on tv.

Old 06-25-2012, 07:35 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I haven't followed baseball much in the last 10 years, I've been out of the loop. Ever since the steroid scandal, the Bonds mess, Clemens, etc.

When did Nike start advertising on pitching gloves? I saw that tonight on CC Sabathia's glove. I also think I saw the nike swoosh on the catchers chest protector. Interesting product placement. They made the logo big enough to show on tv.
Nike is making the gloves and catcher equipment. Every manufacturer places their logo on their products.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:31 PM

5,921 posts, read 6,554,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Why no acclaim for Citizen's Bank Ballpark in Philadelphia? I grew up in South Jersey a bit, and enjoyed Veterans Stadium, believe it or not. As a 12-year-old in the 70s, the place seemed so glamorous! That Lowry organ, the waterfall, astroturf, different colors of seating levels...

The new park hashad national attention in recent post-seasons, so can't call it ignored. But is it that ordinary and uneventful? Never been, but I realize the area is not one to spend time before or after the game?
Citzen's Bank gets hurt by the same thing that affected the Vet: location. Downtown Philly would have been a nice location, albeit a bit congested (it is one of the larger of the nation's downtowns). Look at all the ballparks that are loved that are downtown.

but if not downtown, why not at least in the neighborhoods. Nobody has to explain what the neighborhood setting does for Wrigley. Neighborhood works, although to a lesser extent, for Fenway. And even YS and the Cell can claim to have a real neighborhood presence.

But CBB instead is in the middle of a huge parking lot that sprawls out a the edge of South Philly. For charm of location, it matches Citi Field.

Old 06-25-2012, 01:58 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,058,157 times
Design wise, i like Kauffman in Kansas City the best, after the renovations. Kauffman created its own style, not having to rely on the retro-bandwagon queues of recent stadiums. As cool as stadium quirkiness and dimensions are, I like Kaufmans clean symmetry, the sloping shape of the stadium on the outside, the smooth top roof covering the upper desk seats is almost an ode to cookie cutter concrete stadiums built around the same time, but somehow molded really well, kind of like the exterior ala JFK TWA airport terminal.

Inside, the jumbotron smack dab in the middle of centerfield, the towering poles for the lights and how integrated seats with the fountains, nice open air feeling, wide concourses complete it for me

Old 06-26-2012, 10:54 AM

832 posts, read 1,209,268 times
Another park that deserves an honorable mention is Chase Field. Not as aesthetically pleasing as ATT, PNC, etc., but if you take into account comfort, amenities, accessibility, Chase Field is about the most fan friendly park in the majors.

Old 06-26-2012, 11:24 AM

1,446 posts, read 2,291,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Citzen's Bank gets hurt by the same thing that affected the Vet: location. Downtown Philly would have been a nice location, albeit a bit congested (it is one of the larger of the nation's downtowns). Look at all the ballparks that are loved that are downtown.

but if not downtown, why not at least in the neighborhoods. Nobody has to explain what the neighborhood setting does for Wrigley. Neighborhood works, although to a lesser extent, for Fenway. And even YS and the Cell can claim to have a real neighborhood presence.

But CBB instead is in the middle of a huge parking lot that sprawls out a the edge of South Philly. For charm of location, it matches Citi Field.
Location makes a huge difference in how enjoyable a ballpark is. As you say downtown ballparks are great (especially if served by public transportation), but if not downtown then neighborhoods are nice too.

The worst is a sea of parking lots with nothing to do before or after the games. Turner Field is like that. I think it is a gorgeous ballpark on the outside and pretty nice on the inside, but it is in a terrible location (always thought it should have been where the Georgia Dome was built near Centennial Olympic Park and easily accessible from the MARTA, and the Georgia Dome should have been where Turner Field was built).

My favorite ballparks combine attractive exterior architecture, comfortable interior architecture, and easily accessible locations with activities before and after the game (see Camden Yards in Baltimore).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball