U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:35 AM

735 posts, read 951,343 times

Advertisements

As for my favorite park... My favorite new park is Citizens Bank for the way it's set up. For design, I'd say the new Miami Marlins stadium for some of its innovative ideas. For things like setting, architecture, aesthetics, etc it's PNC Park and Great American Ballpark... though I like Comerica and Jacobs Field as well.

My favorite older park is a tie between Fenway and Wrigley. Yeah I know that's taking the easy way out but they're two different stadiums that are equally as great in my opinion.

I'm only taking MLB into account though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 12:37 PM

735 posts, read 951,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Why no acclaim for Citizen's Bank Ballpark in Philadelphia? I grew up in South Jersey a bit, and enjoyed Veterans Stadium, believe it or not. As a 12-year-old in the 70s, the place seemed so glamorous! That Lowry organ, the waterfall, astroturf, different colors of seating levels...

The new park hashad national attention in recent post-seasons, so can't call it ignored. But is it that ordinary and uneventful? Never been, but I realize the area is not one to spend time before or after the game?
Haha I forgot about the waterfall!

It's actually a pretty great area to see a game. There's XFinity Live! but also there are multiple restaurants, bars, and recently they're putting a bowling alley near there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonguy1960 View Post
Oh, forgot to add that the distant skyline is visible from some upper-level seats (?) which someone said is not true in Cincy?
I love the view of the skyline from Citizens Bank Park. Check out this post for a picture it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Citzen's Bank gets hurt by the same thing that affected the Vet: location. Downtown Philly would have been a nice location, albeit a bit congested (it is one of the larger of the nation's downtowns). Look at all the ballparks that are loved that are downtown.

But CBB instead is in the middle of a huge parking lot that sprawls out a the edge of South Philly. For charm of location, it matches Citi Field.
You don't know much about that area, do you? When the Vet was around, they ran a news story one morning after the annual 4th of July game where the people who lived in the neighborhood right near the ballpark were complaining about firework embers coming down into their neighborhood. The Sports Complex has housing directly to its north (past 1-95) and northwest, and has a major city park directly to its west. Before it was ever a sports complex, it was basically just a typical neighborhood hangout for kids from mainly South Philly (with the exception of JFK Stadium). It had a drive-in and I believe a bowling alley. The "sea of parking" you see now around the Wells-Fargo Center and XFinity Live! used to be mostly taken up by JFK Stadium and the Spectrum.

How many of them are in major cities that didn't need a ballpark to revive their downtowns? Fenway and Wrigley don't count because they're old ballparks that were built back when most people lived in the cities.

It's CBP, by the way. Furthermore, nobody gives a crap about "charm" of location. It's far South Philly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo6 View Post
Its odd to me that baseball has been dominated by these new "retro " stadiums whereas football has not. Sure baseball has a long and colorful history, but so does football. I like modern stadiums. I really like the new soccer stadiums- which are typically modern and looking forward.
That said, I like the look of what was Jacobs field in Cleveland.
Football's a completely different animal. It has no need to reach into its past the way MLB has. A football venue can easily be set-up, whereas baseball needs to be played in a more fixed, permanent venue.

Old 02-19-2013, 03:40 PM

22,331 posts, read 32,171,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
Citzen's Bank gets hurt by the same thing that affected the Vet: location. Downtown Philly would have been a nice location, albeit a bit congested (it is one of the larger of the nation's downtowns). Look at all the ballparks that are loved that are downtown.

but if not downtown, why not at least in the neighborhoods. Nobody has to explain what the neighborhood setting does for Wrigley. Neighborhood works, although to a lesser extent, for Fenway. And even YS and the Cell can claim to have a real neighborhood presence.

But CBB instead is in the middle of a huge parking lot that sprawls out a the edge of South Philly. For charm of location, it matches Citi Field.
It is a shame on the location but honestly the park is really quite good, just in terms of pure stadiums (what is around it withstanding which isnt as bad as it once was) it to me is easily a top ten, maybe even higher. Really a nice park for the game itself, and great crowds too, to me also an important factor

One thing to rmemeber though is I go from middle of rittenhouse to the game in ten minutes on the subway and back again in ten minutes. CBB has some of the best subway access of any stadium actually

cant wait to be there again this spring honestly

Old 02-19-2013, 08:54 PM

2,996 posts, read 3,750,139 times
In the West pretty well all of the new ball parks are now right downtown. That includes San Diego, San Francisco, Phoenix, Seattle.

Old 02-21-2013, 02:04 PM

11,092 posts, read 12,478,899 times
Dodger Stadium hands down.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:24 AM

104 posts, read 121,469 times
US CELLULAR (COMISKEY PARK) and Wrigley Field are the 2 I've been to and have loved. Went to Tropicana Field in St Pete, Fl and for all the crap they give that domed stadium it really is a nice place to see a ball game. Shea Stadium was another nice place to see a game. Miller Park is probably the nicest stadium that I've been to so far.

Old 02-23-2013, 03:00 PM

8,121 posts, read 12,689,212 times
I really did not like Tropicana Field at all. Nothing could be seen from the concourse, I didn't like the lighting, and the cow bells! Of the ballparks I've been to, I really do like Camden Yards, Jacobs/Progressive Field, and PNC Park. I am always disappointed and underwhelmed by Nationals Park.

Old 02-24-2013, 12:46 PM

630 posts, read 841,162 times
Camden Yard and Yankees new stadium!

Old 02-24-2013, 01:07 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,996,813 times
I love Minute Maid Park, because its unique and weird.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:28 PM

233 posts, read 209,423 times
It's hard to beat the view from Petco Park. It's a beautiful, downtown stadium with a great backdrop. I'm also a big fan of Safeco when opened up, and Target Field. Although, Target Field felt a little cramped and poorly designed in some areas of the concourses. I was pleasantly surprised with Minute Maid Park last year. It was better than what I expected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball