U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM

8,059 posts, read 7,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mig1 View Post
Sad to see a Yankee Great go out like this, he says he'll be back, I won't put much stock into that. With nothing else left to prove Mo should have retired this year with Posada. Hindsight. . .
Posada had been on a decline and it showed. Rivera was still among the top 2 or 3 closer in baseball. The stats including ERA and BB:SO don't lie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 09:12 AM

13,302 posts, read 6,010,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
Posada had been on a decline and it showed. Rivera was still among the top 2 or 3 closer in baseball. The stats including ERA and BB:SO don't lie.
ERA lies all the time

BB/K doesn't lie nearly as much

Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 PM

196 posts, read 260,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
If he were ten years younger, his leg wouldn't have gone out. This is not an old-man's game. There is a reason why there are not many 42-year-old MLBers. His body is telling him that it's time to quit.

care to explain these injuries?

MLB Baseball Injuries - CBSSports.com

Old 05-10-2012, 11:34 PM

8,059 posts, read 7,705,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
ERA lies all the time

BB/K doesn't lie nearly as much
ERA can be misleading but doesn't lie. A guy who consistently has an ERA of 2 or less is a star. That makes Mariano a very bright one.
We'll see him next year.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:20 PM

Mariano Rivera of New York Yankees having second thoughts about retirement, according to sources - ESPN New York

Quote:
New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman said closer Mariano Rivera informed him earlier this week that he is unsure if he will play again or retire.

Cashman told ESPN New York that on Tuesday he and Rivera had a conversation in which Rivera said he does not know yet if he will return for a 19th season.

"He wasn't certain on what he is going to do," Cashman said.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:43 AM

1,138 posts, read 1,347,283 times
When Rivera threw out the first pitch of the game two weeks ago, I said to myself: "That's it. He is retiring." It was a bit strange to see an "active" (under contract) player throw out the first pitch. Rivera has never been one to display the need for attention. Take for example when he overcame Hoffman for #1 on the career saves list. He didn't want to come out of the dugout for the ovation.

My guess is that he knew he was retiring when he threw out that first pitch. He got his one "goodbye" moment instead of a season-long "goodbye" from baseball fans. That's probably how he'd like it.

If he does come back, it is easy to say he won't have his stuff. He has been defying critics for years. Maybe he could do it at 43. As a lifelong yankee fan, I'd like to see Rivera go out on top instead of just "fade away."

Old 10-26-2012, 08:12 AM

10,449 posts, read 5,959,722 times
He doesn't need the money, and he does not need to add any other performance deeds to claim the title of the greatest relief pitcher ever, so if there is a motive for him coming back, it would only be his love of the competition and ML atmosphere. Against that is the effort required to get into pitching shape once more, as well as the risk of coming back and capping his career with a poor performance.

I have no advice for him, I figure that it is Rivera who gets to say when he is done, even though I have often found it painful to watch former superstars reduced to average or below average performances in their twilight years. On the other hand I would not try to argue that Rivera cannot return and be just as good as ever, he has already defied normal aging patterns.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:37 AM

4,267 posts, read 1,231,777 times
If his legs still have the strength to support his pitching motion, he could still be effective for another year, easily. His arm is still in very good shape, last I checked.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
His arm is still in very good shape, last I checked.
When was that?

Old 10-27-2012, 01:11 AM

1,124 posts, read 734,249 times
He seems done. When you are 'wishy washy' on coming back, you're 'retired' in your mind and you just have to come to grips that the time has come. It was an incredible run, too bad it had to end this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball