U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 11:38 PM

13,477 posts, read 16,390,269 times

Advertisements

New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi says closer Mariano Rivera has a torn right knee ligament, an injury that could potentially end his career.

The 42-year-old right-hander was carted off the field after twisting his right knee shagging flyballs during batting practice Thursday night before the Yankees played the Kansas City Royals.

Yankees' Rivera goes down with knee injury - Baseball- NBC Sports
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 07:08 AM

7,767 posts, read 10,067,199 times
As a baseball fan, I'm sorry to see a player get injured, and he's a great reliever who's destined for the HOF. As a Red Sox fan, I'm glad to see the Yankees have to start to worry about their pen as well as rotation.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:23 AM

13,296 posts, read 6,896,994 times
An anti-climactic way for one of the all-time greats to go out.

Old 05-04-2012, 08:49 AM

13,241 posts, read 12,468,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Yes.

NBC Sports called it "unfathomable."

You hate to see any player have to retire over circumstances like this. And at 42, Rivera does not have time on his side. ACL and his meniscus. Very sad.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:10 AM

50,189 posts, read 42,699,466 times
It is always sad to see a player be forced out of his/her sport due to injury. At 42 the chances are slim to none he will be able to return. I guess, if nothing else, he can be thankful for a wonderful baseball career, not that is much consolation to him right now, but it will be in years to come.

Nita

Old 05-04-2012, 10:03 AM

7,767 posts, read 10,067,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Yeah, but as is often the case, these guys push their careers to the very edge of physical capability and resist retirement until it's forced upon them. It's too bad that "Mo" had to go out this way, but he had a choice and could have retired on a high note but thought he had "one more season" which typically leads to "another season."

I'm 47, and once you hit your 40s, things that you could do routinely don't always end up being as easy as they used to be.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:20 AM

17,609 posts, read 10,166,610 times
I'm confessing a lot of ignorance here, but why would an ACL tear end a pitcher's career? It seems that the majority of the torque involves your left leg as a right-handed pitcher. As long as his right leg is strong enough to bear his weight load during the wind up, why would he not be able to come back? It's not like an NFL runningback whose constantly making sharp cuts.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:33 AM

38,757 posts, read 39,452,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Yes.

NBC Sports called it "unfathomable."

You hate to see any player have to retire over circumstances like this. And at 42, Rivera does not have time on his side. ACL and his meniscus. Very sad.
I'd rather see his career end like this, than with a series of blown saves and walk-off homers. I saw how Willie Mays prolonged his career into the outfield for the Mets in the post season, and it was a very, very sad thing to watch.

Rivera's career ended at the age of 42 with a weak double-play grounder to short with the tying run on base, and that is the way it should be in the best of all possible worlds.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:53 AM

5,286 posts, read 4,087,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I'd rather see his career end like this, than with a series of blown saves and walk-off homers. I saw how Willie Mays prolonged his career into the outfield for the Mets in the post season, and it was a very, very sad thing to watch.

Rivera's career ended at the age of 42 with a weak double-play grounder to short with the tying run on base, and that is the way it should be in the best of all possible worlds.
Nah, it's still a tough way to go out. I agree there could be worse ways that would "tarnish his legacy" but an injury ending a career is not exactly a storybook ending.

Old 05-05-2012, 09:30 AM
Status: "Merry Christmas! And 20 million views!" (set 1 day ago)

36,848 posts, read 20,016,933 times
I've read in the paper this morning that Rivera gave the implication that he may change his mind about retiring. Sez he doesn't want to "go out" like this. I can't see him, however, trying to come back from this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball