U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 11:06 AM

42,663 posts, read 74,231,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

If it were up to me Hamels would be paying a fine and serving jail time.
Maybe that's why it's not left up to you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2012, 08:48 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,790,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Maybe that's why it's not left up to you.
No. That assuredly has nothing to do with why it's not up to me.

Old 05-12-2012, 08:59 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,147,846 times
Well hitting Harper was really a waste since Harper AKA Gus Frerotte, smashed his bat against a wall and the bat came back to hit him in the head hard enough to get 10 stitches after the game. Nice.

Old 05-12-2012, 06:45 PM

3,763 posts, read 3,801,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I think it was ridiculous for Hamels to throw at Harper simply because of the press the kid is getting. Contrast that with Chase Utley, who in the playoffs vs. the Reds two seasons ago acted like he was hit by a pitch when replays clearly showed the ball didn't hit him, but the umpire called it anyway. IMO, he should've got one in his ear his next time at bat, but Dusty didn't call for it.

It's more than that. Harper is a punk, simple as that. Harper HAS NOT DONE A SINGLE THING in his professional career to deserve any hype. He tore up low A baseball, so what? At every other level he did nothing or was terrible. Harper comes into the MLB and then looks at umps or complains about strike calls all the time. That's why he is a punk. When Cole Hamels was a rookie, he had to work with strike zones that were probably 10% smaller yet still managed to produce. Now that he is a top tier pitcher, and through earned respect, MLB umpires give him a little bit of leeway with his strike zone. It's outrageous a 19 year old who has never done anything to deserve respect walks onto the big show and expects the league and officials to treat him like he is a superstar, such as getting a little bit of leeway with the umps for strike/ball calls. He thinks he is bigger the game, well he's not, and more MLB pitchers besides Hamels are going to light him up if he continues to be a punk.

There's more to baseball than just baseball. There is a minimum ethos and unwritten rules that ALL mlb players must meet or abide by. Respect is earned. Harper crossed the line and simply is being put in his place.

Old 05-13-2012, 01:22 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,790,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Harper HAS NOT DONE A SINGLE THING in his professional career to deserve any hype.
He took advantage of an idiot pitcher who gave him first base for no reason. I thought that that was pretty impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
He tore up low A baseball, so what? At every other level he did nothing or was terrible.
That's just untrue. Harper was an average or better than average hitter at each stop in his minor league career.
Bryce Harper Statistics Batting | FanGraphs Baseball

2010 Rookie Ball 50% better than average.
2011 Rookie Ball 45% better than average.
2011 A Ball 68% better than average.
2011 AA 3% better than average.
2012 AAA average.

Remember, he's just 19. Most major league players, most major league superstars are playing in the low minors at 19.

Quote:
blah blah blah

Old 05-20-2012, 06:40 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,966,979 times
Default The Roseboro/Marichal incident

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I dunno...I'd say the guy hurling the deadly weapon at the other guy is the D bag.

If it were up to me Hamels would be paying a fine and serving jail time.
To be sure, I would refer to what Filihok has provided as MLB at its ugliest.

There was another incident over four decades later, that while although a baseball player's life wasn't lost, but an ugly incident that cast a pall between two N.L.California teams, and I'm not sure that it didn't cast a pall over MLB altogether for a few years. And it was an incident that wasn't as to where a player was intentionally beaned, but it was a result of that type of strategy. As a 14 year old kid totally embracing MLB and being very active in Little League baseball and then high school baseball, I remember that incident well.

August 21, 1965.<<<<<<<<<<<<<

There are several people who post on baseball who I would like to have them post their recollections here. I'd appreciate it.

The Brooklyn Dodgers and the New York Giants never had much love for each other. And in their early years in MLB history I don't believe you could call the clubs a rivalry because of the hammer/nail comparison. The Dodgers were the nail and the Giants were the hammer.

Finally in 1941 Brooklyn won their first pennant, and by 1947 they would start a streak that for the next two decades would see them as one of baseball's winningest franchises. Everyone knows about the 1951 game and the "shot heard round the world" (Bobby Thompson's home run off Ralph Branca) to win the pennant against Brooklyn. And also the 1954 World Series, the Giants sweeping the Indians in 4 straight, and then there's "The Catch." The giants had stayed solid as well.

And when both the Giants and Dodgers moved to California that amped up the rivalry further. Fast forward to August 21, 1965.

By the early 1960's Juan Marichal was in some elite company with the best N.L. pitchers of the day, like Warren Spahn and Sandy Koufax. Until the 21st Marichal was known as the pitcher with the high delivery kick. And a pitcher would could throw overhand, three quarter, and sidearm. And mow down the opposition. John Roseboro was not known to a lot of people outside the Dodger organization but was noted as the catcher who replaced Roy Campanella after Roy's terrible car crash in January of 1958. But he was a good catcher, a smart catcher. He was small, but tough.

I'd have to look up the stats where the Dodgers and Giants were at by August 21st, but to be sure both clubs were contending. And both teams showed contempt as ever before. Things got chippy on the field and then worse. Marichal was close to hitting Dodger Maury Wills earlier in the game and after several nasty verbal exchanges all hell broke loose between Marichal and Roseboro. Sandy Koufax was on the mound and Roseboro was catching. Roseboro wanted Koufax to zing one at Marichal, but it wasn't in Sandy's personality to do that and never was. So after one pitch Roseboro stepped up a little closer and by throwing the ball back to Koufax, an argument started. Marichal thought Roseboro was out of line throwing the ball back to Koufax but throwing maybe a couple inches from Marichal's head. And in no time the fight started with Marichal thumping Roseboro's head with his bat several times, splitting his skull but not knocking him out completely. And both benches emptied immediately.

All hell broke loose for the next fifteen minutes with several player and coach ejections. And the guy who turned out to be a bigger hero (than he hardly hadn't been already) was Willie Mays of the Giants. As there was such an intense hate between the two clubs, it would have been unthinkable for anyone on the Dodger club to take on Mays. But while fisticuffs were going on all around the infield, somehow Mays was able to separate Roseboro from the players, wipe the blood off his face and hands with his uniform (Roseboro took 14 stitches) and went into the Dodger dugout which obviously took both clubs and the crowd of 41K plus in the ballpark by surprise.

Our family subscribed to Sport magazine back then, it was the chief rival to SI and The Sporting News and I remember the story in that magazine well. IIRC it was a game during the week but television only had it in the L.A. area (someone correct me if I'm wrong here.) There was no such thing as ESPN, MLB Network, etc. But that incident reverberated for weeks around the league. It was talked about on sports shows for weeks. IMO it was one of the ugliest incidents in MLB history.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 05-20-2012 at 07:12 PM.. Reason: addition, spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or