Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:11 AM

810 posts, read 1,804,016 times

Advertisements

Phillies pitcher Cole Hamels admitted to intentionally beaning Bryce Harper last night. That apparently didn't go too well, as Harper ended up stealing home.

I love baseball, and it's my favorite sport to watch, but what's with all the intentional beaning? Is this a necessary component of the sport? I can (mildly) understand retaliation, but why did Hamels do that to Harper? Was it a "Welcome to The Show" display, or something else?

I just don't see beaning as an essential part of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 10:22 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,778,007 times
It used to be apparently, look at the guys like Pujols and Ryan Howard watching home runs seemingly forever. Some pitchers believe they are showing off and then someone gets plunked that's the way it is. Hamels probably watches too much ESPN and is tired off all the play Harper gets, so he gave him a shot. I don't think it's a big deal he didn't go for Harpers head.

Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,010,222 times
It is well known that all MLB players swap wives and girlfriends fairly easily. The overall ethic is supposed to be a free and loose one, but now and then, as these things go, someone winds up feeling cheated or jealous. If it is the pitcher himself who is angry as a result of one of these situations, then it is up to him to execute his revenge on the offending opposition player via a purpose pitch. If it is a position player who is upset, he goes to the starrting pitcher on the day when his team is facing the opponent who has pissed him off, and offers the pitcher a weekend with his wife or girlfriend in exchange for a retaliatory pitch aimed at the offending party.

If it is a teammate of the pitcher who has generated the jealousy in the pitcher, he goes to a pitcher on an opposing team and says "Look, in the first or second inning I'll lightly hit one of your guys in the arm or thigh and that will set you up for having to deal out some payback later. When you do, make sure that it is............ you throw at. I'll do the same for you when you need to get at one of your teammates."

Old 05-07-2012, 11:04 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,493,505 times
I think it was ridiculous for Hamels to throw at Harper simply because of the press the kid is getting. Contrast that with Chase Utley, who in the playoffs vs. the Reds two seasons ago acted like he was hit by a pitch when replays clearly showed the ball didn't hit him, but the umpire called it anyway. IMO, he should've got one in his ear his next time at bat, but Dusty didn't call for it.

Old 05-07-2012, 12:09 PM

7,887 posts, read 17,144,588 times
This is another case of ego or trying to prove to your team that you have their back. To me, it's one thing to protect one of your teammates if they are targeted by the other team, or if the other team intentionally threw at your team or injured someone intentionally, and it's another thing to be a baby about someone hitting a bomb and enjoying their work.

It's funny how pitchers pump their fists and show up the hitters after a strikeout, but hitters must follow some sort of imagined code. Same thing for bunting to break up a no hitter. The way the pitcher and defense can show up the hitter is to get him out. If the hitter goes yard, then maybe it's because you threw him the wrong pitch. Just sayin'.

Old 05-07-2012, 02:49 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,097,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I think it was ridiculous for Hamels to throw at Harper simply because of the press the kid is getting. Contrast that with Chase Utley, who in the playoffs vs. the Reds two seasons ago acted like he was hit by a pitch when replays clearly showed the ball didn't hit him, but the umpire called it anyway. IMO, he should've got one in his ear his next time at bat, but Dusty didn't call for it.
Usually a veteran pitcher doesn't need to be coaxed by his manager especially when a batter does something that is out of line or wrong.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:22 PM

8,277 posts, read 23,022,349 times
Because D bags like Bryce Harper exist, I hope he get's drilled again. Cocky young kid!

Old 05-09-2012, 09:33 AM

13,290 posts, read 15,249,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Because D bags like Bryce Harper exist, I hope he get's drilled again. Cocky young kid!
I dunno...I'd say the guy hurling the deadly weapon at the other guy is the D bag.

If it were up to me Hamels would be paying a fine and serving jail time.

Old 05-09-2012, 10:04 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,144,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
I hope you're just being sarcastic. What exactly earns Bryce Harper the "D bag" label anyway? He's a teen who can play as well or better than many in their 20s and 30s. Does that make him a "D bag" in your view?

I'd rather have a kid who plays the game hard and enjoys playing it, over some overpaid free agent veteran who thinks his crap doesn't stink. If pitchers like Hamels want to show up these kids, then get them out. If they can't, then beaning Harper only shows Hamels and others for what they are. Good on him for stealing the plate. That's how you get at Hamels...increase his ERA.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:59 AM

3,490 posts, read 3,778,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I dunno...I'd say the guy hurling the deadly weapon at the other guy is the D bag.

If it were up to me Hamels would be paying a fine and serving jail time.
Jordan Zimmerman should receive the same punishment since he hit Hamels on purpose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball