Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 11:41 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,526,471 times

Advertisements

Can somebody tell me why do the A's need to leave Oakland? Don't they have a park there? Don't they have the tradition and the history there? Is it a front office whim in order to get approval for a new park? What's wrong with the one they have now?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 12:55 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,528,010 times
Interesting thought, but that would mean 6 teams within 240 miles of each other. Based on the stink the Orioles made about the Nationals, I think the Phillies would make an even worse stink about it.
I wonder if there have been talks, about expanding, Raley Field, or building a new park, in Sacramento? I think the A's would be darn well, (maybe not really well though), if they moved there instead of San Jose.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey mouse is dead View Post
Can somebody tell me why do the A's need to leave Oakland? Don't they have a park there? Don't they have the tradition and the history there? Is it a front office whim in order to get approval for a new park? What's wrong with the one they have now?
It's shared with the Raiders, which means the field is beautiful from April-July and a disaster once August hits.
Also, its baseball charm was ruined when the Raiders returned and built the infamous "Mount Davis" in the outfield where a nice view of the Oakland hills and passing trains used to be. Add in the lack of corporate suites and outdated training facilities for the players, and you have a stadium only attended by the die-hard fans and the last choice for most free-agent players.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:50 PM

8,632 posts, read 13,000,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I seriously don't think Philadelphia can support two baseball teams like before. It won't be the same today. San Jose would be a better choice.
First of all Philly is a bigger market than the Bay Area and is the largest market in the country without having 2 pro-sports teams in one sport. The Philly Sports market has over 7 million people and that's not even including the Lehigh Valley which adds almost another million. I know the Phillies want no part in having a 2nd MLB team come in their territory but the Delaware Valley does have a large enough market size to support a 2nd MLB team. If the A's did relocate back to Philly my best bet would be that the stadium would probably not be in the city limits but in a nearby satellite city similarly to how the Philadelphia Union(MLS) play in Chester, PA.

I could see the A's moving to nearby cities like Trenton, NJ, Wilmington, DE or even Atlantic City, NJ. The inter-league rivalry between the two teams would be so amazing. I think that would be the most likely scenario if that ever did happen but sadly I think the Phillies would do everything in their power to try and make that not happen.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 07-31-2012 at 10:05 PM..

Old 07-31-2012, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Could you imagine if they built a new stadium in Center City with the A's playing there.

Old 07-31-2012, 10:47 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,936,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I could see the A's moving to nearby cities like Trenton, NJ, Wilmington, DE or even Atlantic City, NJ. The inter-league rivalry between the two teams would be so amazing. I think that would be the most likely scenario if that ever did happen but sadly I think the Phillies would do everything in their power to try and make that not happen.
The cities you cite are too far from a major airport. Camden would be more appropriate. It's close to Philadelphia International Airport and accessible for area fans, especially if a stadium is built on the waterfront. A waterfront stadium could spur economic development, as Camden Yards did in Southeast Baltimore. Just need someone with $$$ to step up to the plate.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:48 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,603,290 times
^ There are marketing issues with that one. Do you honestly think "Camden A's" is going to sell to anyone? (Or that the city of Camden would allow the team to call itself "Philadelphia" if it relocated there?)

Old 08-01-2012, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
^ There are marketing issues with that one. Do you honestly think "Camden A's" is going to sell to anyone? (Or that the city of Camden would allow the team to call itself "Philadelphia" if it relocated there?)
I'm pretty sure it would still be called the Philadelphia A's. Camden, NJ is a descent location but I think Trenton, NJ would better relocation spot since it is a better rail hub than Camden. You can draw fans from not only from SE Pennsylvania and South Jersey but also Central Jersey as well if it was located in Trenton, NJ.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 08-01-2012 at 12:12 PM..

Old 08-01-2012, 01:03 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,378,901 times
Locate the team in Wilmington and have a fan following in 4 states.

Old 08-01-2012, 02:09 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,314 posts, read 8,655,857 times
current A's ownership is only looking at San Jose...and they aren't interested in selling....
There's a ballpark for Oakland too. But San Jose is closer really just waiting on Selig to make Magowan Happy....
I'd rather see em go to Sacramento, but just because it's closer for me...they end up in San Jose it would be closer to go to Giant games, but that's a tough ticket to get
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball