U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 04:13 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,867,760 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
^ There are marketing issues with that one. Do you honestly think "Camden A's" is going to sell to anyone? (Or that the city of Camden would allow the team to call itself "Philadelphia" if it relocated there?)
It would not offend me. Plus the City of Camden has no leverage. As a stated above, a team could act as an economic engine for a city in desparate need for capital investment. There's plenty of potential along the waterfront.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2012, 05:57 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,366,892 times
Are there any ownership groups in Philadelphia that are actively trying to buy the A's and relocate them back to the region?

As far as I know, ownership is not willing to sell and they are only really willing to relocate to San Jose. If someone can correct me, I'd be interested to know.

Chances are, when all is said and done, the A's are probably staying somewhere in Northern California, most likely still in the Bay Area (Oakland or SJ..either way, still in the Bay Area). I'd love for them to move to Sacramento, but given the fact that they can barely keep the Kings there, MLB seems like a harder reach in a city that is very much strapped for cash. Stranger things have happened though.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:50 PM

As far as I know there is no serious interest in relocating the A's to the greater Philadelphia/so Jersey area. Just wishful thinking on the part of sports writers, bloggers and baseball fans.

I read somewhere there are nearly 70 political subdivisions in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on the verge of bankruptcy. I think the situation in New Jersey is better but not great. So I don't think it's possible for either state to publicly finance the construction of a new baseball stadium along with the necessary infrastructure improvements. And I don't think the Phillies would be charitable enough to share their stadium with the A's.

Old 08-02-2012, 12:16 PM

40,056 posts, read 30,560,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I read somewhere there are nearly 70 political subdivisions in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania on the verge of bankruptcy. I think the situation in New Jersey is better but not great. So I don't think it's possible for either state to publicly finance the construction of a new baseball stadium along with the necessary infrastructure improvements.
As the old expression goes, never say never. The Yankees built Yankee Stadium--but that was in the early 1920s. When the new stadium went up recently, it wasn't the Yankee coffers that funded it. New York City did.

If there was a chance the A's would consider returning to their original stomping grounds, you could be reasonably certain of this: the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania would find the money to accommodate them. Somehow and somewhere.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:28 AM

Quote:
As the old expression goes, never say never. The Yankees built Yankee Stadium--but that was in the early 1920s. When the new stadium went up recently, it wasn't the Yankee coffers that funded it. New York City did.

If there was a chance the A's would consider returning to their original stomping grounds, you could be reasonably certain of this: the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania would find the money to accommodate them. Somehow and somewhere.
The Yankees are the crown jewels of professional sports. No politician would allow them to move the franchise out of the Bronx let alone New York.

The A's left Philadelphia in 1954. You're not going to find many fans out there today, except for those living in an independent living facility or similar type of facility.

Otoh, the A's are in a pretty bad situation. They're 28 of 30 in attendance and the managing partner of the Giants is a tough guy attorney who won't cede San Jose to the A's.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:07 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,560,432 times
^ Territoriality is another kettle of fish! Who's to say that the Phillies would permit the A's to return to Philadelphia even if they wanted to?

Old 08-08-2012, 06:52 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,740,568 times
The A's have had much more of a winning tradition in Philadelphia than the Phillies. If the city cannot support two teams, why not bring the A's back and send the Phillies west?

Old 08-09-2012, 08:38 PM

Here's another reason to hate the Yankees:

Connie Mack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
After he [Connie Mack] retired from active management of the Athletics, the team crumbled to the bottom of the American League, nearly going bankrupt as the crosstown Phillies contested their second World Series in 1950. Although reduced to a figurehead, Mack continued to be treated with awe and reverence by players who considered him living history. His sons handled his correspondence by 1953 as he had become too frail by that point to do it himself. As that year ended, the other American League owners met to voice their distaste at having to play road games in the dilapidated Shibe Park with its largely empty bleachers. They wanted the Athletics sold off to a new owner and the Yankees in particular lobbied for it to be Kansas City businessman Arnold Johnson, owner of one of their farm teams. Roy and Earle Mack did not want to move the team, but pressure from the Yankees' owners finally moved their hand and they agreed to the sale. A final attempt to save the A's failed and 1954 attendance was only about 4,000 people for home games. When the AL owners met in New York to discuss the sale, they unanimously voted yes despite Connie Mack's feeble pleadings. His doctor reported that the nonagenarian owner suffered a sudden sharp drop in blood pressure and almost expired upon learning that his team was gone.

Old 08-10-2012, 09:08 AM

22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
I highly doubt this would ever happen today. Personally I would love it and would love to see a true subway series with a new A's stadium at Borad and Spring Garden

Ehh guess there is always next year for the Phils.

Broad St Subway Phillies Parade 2008 - YouTube

Old 08-11-2012, 02:23 PM

Quote:
^ Territoriality is another kettle of fish! Who's to say that the Phillies would permit the A's to return to Philadelphia even if they wanted to?
According to the article below, the A's appear to desperately want to move to San Jose, but the Giants have been invoking their territorial rights to that area.

The alternative proposed sites (Fremont, Sacramento and the Oakland waterfront) are not attractive to Lew Wolff, the A's managing partner. Not sure why?

I didn't realize that territorial rights could be overturned. I don't know if it has ever been done though. If Peter Angelos, managing partner of the Baltimore Orioles, could allow the Expos to move to DC, than I guess the Giants could permit the A's to move to San Jose. What's the big deal?

Source: Oakland A's stadium situation likely to be informally discussed at next owners' meetings - San Jose Mercury News
Quote:
The A's have been in a holding pattern going on three-and-a-half years regarding their desire to build a new ballpark in San Jose. The roadblock is that the Giants hold territorial rights to San Jose and are opposed to the A's moving there.

Those rights can only be overturned with a 75 percent vote from the 30 major league owners, and it's assumed that the quarterly owners' meetings would provide an opportune time for such a vote to take place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball