U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-11-2012, 02:32 PM
 
1,455 posts, read 2,867,760 times
Reputation: 1127

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
I highly doubt this would ever happen today. Personally I would love it and would love to see a true subway series with a new A's stadium at Borad and Spring Garden
What's currently at the corner of Broad and Spring Garden?

I think on the waterfront along Delaware Ave would be more suitable. It's acccessible to I-95 and I believe a train stop is nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-12-2012, 07:17 PM
 
Location: Chicago
5,927 posts, read 6,563,287 times
Reputation: 5402
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
First of all Philly is a bigger market than the Bay Area and is the largest market in the country without having 2 pro-sports teams in one sport.
how is Philadelphia a bigger market than the Bay Area? Philadelphia might be bigger if metro Phila. is compared to SF-Oak which excludes the south bay. But defining the Bay Area in its reality....all counties surrounding the bay and thus SF/Oak/SJ, it is clearly bigger than metro Philly.

as for a new stadium anywhere, things are tough. I don't see many stadiums going up these days based on the economy. none in MLB and only Santa Clara in the NFL. that's pretty unusual given the track record of all those years since 1990.

As for the A's, nobody mentioned Las Vegas as a possible location (which has been considered). and, if the economy were to change, the A's still have options in the Bay Area. the East Bay is theirs, whether it is Oakland, Fremont, or other locations...and still could be an option; there is no territorial issues with the Giants in East Bay and the southern portions of East Bay are fairly close to San Jose and all of Silicon Valley, more so with the BART extension.

Of course, if Philly does want the A's back, I suppose one could make a slot for them in the tight northeast market: just make the O's the St. Louis Browns again and PRESTO! you open a spot for the AL in that close Philly/Balt/Wash corridor.

or how about the ultimate northeast dream:
Boston Red Sox
Boston Braves
New York Yankees
New York Giants
New York Mets
Brooklyn Dodgers
Philadelphia Phillies
Philadelphia Athletics
Baltimore Orioles
Washington Nationals
Washington Senators

That would make each of the five cities a two team market except New York (with 4) and Baltimore (with 1). the eastern establishment would love that one.

excuse this insanity from a cocky Chicagoan. Hey, we're the only city in the nation that was in both NL and AL throughout their history, from the start, every year. From 1958-1960, we were the only two team city in the nation. Please do not ask how many world championships we have to show for this honor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 07:32 AM
 
Location: The City
22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
Reputation: 7749
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
how is Philadelphia a bigger market than the Bay Area? Philadelphia might be bigger if metro Phila. is compared to SF-Oak which excludes the south bay. But defining the Bay Area in its reality....all counties surrounding the bay and thus SF/Oak/SJ, it is clearly bigger than metro Philly.

as for a new stadium anywhere, things are tough. I don't see many stadiums going up these days based on the economy. none in MLB and only Santa Clara in the NFL. that's pretty unusual given the track record of all those years since 1990.

As for the A's, nobody mentioned Las Vegas as a possible location (which has been considered). and, if the economy were to change, the A's still have options in the Bay Area. the East Bay is theirs, whether it is Oakland, Fremont, or other locations...and still could be an option; there is no territorial issues with the Giants in East Bay and the southern portions of East Bay are fairly close to San Jose and all of Silicon Valley, more so with the BART extension.

Of course, if Philly does want the A's back, I suppose one could make a slot for them in the tight northeast market: just make the O's the St. Louis Browns again and PRESTO! you open a spot for the AL in that close Philly/Balt/Wash corridor.

or how about the ultimate northeast dream:
Boston Red Sox
Boston Braves
New York Yankees
New York Giants
New York Mets
Brooklyn Dodgers
Philadelphia Phillies
Philadelphia Athletics
Baltimore Orioles
Washington Nationals
Washington Senators

That would make each of the five cities a two team market except New York (with 4) and Baltimore (with 1). the eastern establishment would love that one.

excuse this insanity from a cocky Chicagoan. Hey, we're the only city in the nation that was in both NL and AL throughout their history, from the start, every year. From 1958-1960, we were the only two team city in the nation. Please do not ask how many world championships we have to show for this honor.
Philly is still the 4th largest media market (only NYC, LA, and Chicago is larger; actually on media market size Philly is as close to Chicago as the Bay is to Philly with a difference of 500K households); though to me I think the area would struggle today to support two teams. What the Bay media excludes is not South Bay it is all the counties that are far from the Bay itself; Philly picks up Mercer (11 miles from Philly, Atlantic County (22 miles from Philly, and Alleentown 33 miles from Philly that are not part of the census metro, believe it or not there are more people living in closer proximity (well say within 50 miles that there are in the bay)

Based on TV market households

1 NYC 7.4 million
2 LA 5.6 Million
3 Chicago 3.5 Million
4 Philadelphia 3.0 Million
5 DFW 2.6 Million
6 SF/Oak/SJ 2.5 Million
7 Boston 2.4 Million
8 DC 2.4 Million

TV Markets 2011, Designated Market Areas, Nielsen DMA rankings

Like your ideas above but realistically, well...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 07:39 AM
 
Location: The City
22,341 posts, read 32,208,951 times
Reputation: 7749
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
What's currently at the corner of Broad and Spring Garden?

I think on the waterfront along Delaware Ave would be more suitable. It's acccessible to I-95 and I believe a train stop is nearby.

Not a ton, room for development. Also Blattstein also plans to buils a mega retail/entertainment/residential complex just south of there. There is also decent highway access there with 676 and even better subway access.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=broad...2,188.04,,0,-2

though is a pipe dream
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2012, 01:55 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,470 posts, read 25,453,769 times
Reputation: 8936
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ2MDdude View Post
I didn't realize that territorial rights could be overturned. I don't know if it has ever been done though. If Peter Angelos, managing partner of the Baltimore Orioles, could allow the Expos to move to DC, than I guess the Giants could permit the A's to move to San Jose. What's the big deal?
The Giants are a very greedy organization that is scared of the potential competition the A's can bring. The A's have outdrawn the Giants before and since the Giants really don't have much of a history with winning, they need to be the only team in the Bay Area with a nice stadium to draw the fans and corporate sponsors. The A's let them create these terriortial rights in SJ so they could stay in the Bay Area instead of moving to Florida and now they won't allow the A's to move there. The Giants are one greedy, pathetic excuse for a baseball team imo that is scared of being relegated back to the medicore fracnhise they have historically been in the Bay ARea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2019, 04:35 AM
Status: "You picked the wrong fool, fool." (set 18 days ago)
 
577 posts, read 158,544 times
Reputation: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Not a ton, room for development. Also Blattstein also plans to buils a mega retail/entertainment/residential complex just south of there. There is also decent highway access there with 676 and even better subway access.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=broad...2,188.04,,0,-2

though is a pipe dream
Spring Garden is far too close to downtown to have a baseball stadium. West or NE Philly sounds better. Anyway, this would be a dream come true. I guess Philly's just not in Chicago's league as of now, or (obviously) New York's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top