Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bad Calls. Should more Umps be suspended? Should Instant Replay (IR) be added to the game?
Status Quo. No changes to anything, keep MLB as it currently is. 7 25.00%
Do not add IR, suspend Umps for bad calls. 2 7.14%
Add IR and stop suspending Umps for bad calls. 6 21.43%
Add IR and keep suspending Umps for bad calls. 13 46.43%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:48 AM

13,285 posts, read 15,302,626 times

Advertisements

Expanded replay for 2013 to include umpires “at a central location” | HardballTalk

Quote:
A group of umpires will watch games from a central location
On plays that are “clearly wrong” the group would then signal the umpires at the game and let them know there is an obvious call that needs to be changed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,726,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Fans, please vote in the poll....but read this first.

Umpire is suspended for one game, story here.

Question: Should there be more umpire suspensions for bad calls?
Question: Should there be Instant Replay (IR) on close calls and bang-bang plays?

The baseball news today is that for the first time since 2008, an umpire has been suspended by the league. It was only a one-game suspension for "poor situation handling" on the field. Though this current Umpire didn't make a bad call on a play on the field, the bad calls that are being made by some Umps do need to be dealt with. Umps should face being disciplined just as players and managers.

IMO more umps should be suspended for really bad calls. I've already seen at least two TV clips on umps who blew calls at First Base when the First Baseman's foot was at LEAST a foot off the bag. That's a really bad call. How many more have I missed seeing?

IMO baseball needs IR, asap. Until then, MLB should look at post-game replays and hand out suspensions for terrible calls.

Here are the Poll choices:

1. Status Quo. No changes to anything, keep MLB as it currently is.

2. Do not add IR, suspend Umps for bad calls. If post-game review finds an Ump made an awful call, suspend after the fact.

3. Add IR and stop suspending Umps for bad calls. Managers can call for IR after a close play, but if they don't, the play stands as called.

4. Add IR and keep suspending Umps for bad calls. If post-game review determines the Ump made a bad call, suspend him for the sake of the game.

Thanks for voting.
For me and I am sure others, this is a really tough call: I hate IR, it slows the game up so much, but I don't like to see umps suspended for a bad call and I don't want to see a game won or lost because of one either. I did vote for IR but I have to admit I am on the fence. ...If you start suspending upms for bad calls, where do you draw the line and who can judge whether it was a bad call, an awful call or a fair call?

Nita

Old 06-17-2012, 11:59 PM

Tough call for an ump

Baseball Video Highlights & Clips | CWS@LAD: Rios makes the putout, throws to turn two - Video | MLB.com: Multimedia

Trying to watch the runner a few feet from you and the catch a few hundred feet from you. If only there were some technological advance to make an umpire's job easier.

Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 AM

1,823 posts, read 2,127,177 times
I would agree that an umpire should not be suspended for making a bad call------snap judgments need to be made and occasionally there will be bad calls-----the umpires have the peragotive to get together and meet, and possibly change a call. Also, baseball should expand instant replay, and perhaps use the nfl system----allow the respective managers two times a game they can challenge a call. If the call is upheld a penalty should be assessed, like the next hitter starts out with 2-0 count on him.

The only times a suspension is justified is when an umpire inflames an already volatile situation. Umpires are also human, and they can be baited by managers and players------yet, since they set the tone for control of the game, it is vital that they maintain decorum and not throw gasoline on the fire. Suspending an umpire should happen only if the situation became so heated and out of control due in part to an umpires actions.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 AM

1,909 posts, read 2,538,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
No, you undermine their authority.

At the end of the season, grade the umps and let go of those found to be poor at making calls.

If having a problem during the season, replace an ump with a minor league call up umpire, but don't suspend for any period of time.
This is basically what I have been saying all year. There have been so many bad calls at the plate throughout the year. It is frustrating to watch a pitcher hitting his mark and getting strike outs ONLY after throwing 5 straight strikes (where two were called balls).
I would go further than just grading the umpires - I would reward good calls with bonus cash. Bad calls are going to happen, but a consistently bad ump should not be working and is detrimental to the sport.
I voted for IR but not suspension; I really don't think suspension is the answer for bad calls. However, an umpire should be suspended (and thrown out of games) when he acts worse than the managers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I would agree that an umpire should not be suspended for making a bad call------snap judgments need to be made and occasionally there will be bad calls-----the umpires have the peragotive to get together and meet, and possibly change a call. Also, baseball should expand instant replay, and perhaps use the nfl system----allow the respective managers two times a game they can challenge a call. If the call is upheld a penalty should be assessed, like the next hitter starts out with 2-0 count on him.

The only times a suspension is justified is when an umpire inflames an already volatile situation. Umpires are also human, and they can be baited by managers and players------yet, since they set the tone for control of the game, it is vital that they maintain decorum and not throw gasoline on the fire. Suspending an umpire should happen only if the situation became so heated and out of control due in part to an umpires actions.
I agree with everything you said, EXCEPT the penalty. We agree that umpires are human , therefore we have to agree managers are human, too. We all make mistakes. That is what IR is for - to show who is right or wrong. Your two time challenge sounds reasonable, but without penalty for doing so. (I don't watch football. Is there a penalty when a call is upheld?)

Old 05-31-2013, 11:52 PM

Another missed call by an umpiring crew.

Tampa vs Cleveland, bottom of the 6th. Michael Bourn is hung up between 1st and 2nd. Rays' SS Escobar dives to try to tag Bourn but misses him as is pretty clearly shown on replay, but the umpire's call him out.

Not an easy call to make in person.

Give umpires the tools they need to do their jobs.

Old 06-01-2013, 07:42 AM

48,564 posts, read 24,119,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
If the call is upheld a penalty should be assessed, like the next hitter starts out with 2-0 count on him.

That is not a fair idea. You are selecting one player, the pitcher, to punish for the manager's misjudgment in issuing a failed challenge. Why should the pitcher get the handicap of starting off behind in the count as opposed to doing anything else?

And how does your system work if the failed challenge was issued by a manager whose team is at bat? Start the next hitter off 1-2? The punitive burden then falls on whoever was unfortunate enough to be next in the lineup.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:15 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
I saw a call last night in the Rockies vs Dodgers game that the replay clearly showed was wrong.

Ump called a batter out for a swing and foul tip into the catcher's mitt; only problem is that the ball bounced in the dirt first and was just a foul ball, not a 3rd strike. Oh, the catcher wasn't able to hold onto the ball, a second miscue by that ump. Even the Rockies TV announcer agreed it was a bad call and that the Rockies got lucky. Didn't matter though, the Rockies lost the game in ten innings.

Should that umpire be fined or suspended? No.

Should baseball adopt instant replay? Yes.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-01-2013, 01:26 PM

14,682 posts, read 14,645,402 times
As we saw earlier this season in the A's/Indians game, even with instant replay you have bad calls which are upheld and a head office which shugs its shoulders. If suspensions are a prelude to ridding the league of its worst umpires, I'm all for it, but I don't think Selig, Torre, et al will institute any measures.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:35 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,696,237 times
Just as long as it catches guys like John Hirschbeck red-handed, I don't have a problem with Instant Replays and suspensions of Umpires.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball