U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-24-2012, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn,NY
1,961 posts, read 4,312,654 times
Reputation: 1190

Advertisements

Yankees could be up for sale soon, as rumors swirl in baseball and banking circles: sources - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-25-2012, 12:51 AM
 
Location: Austin, TX
83 posts, read 169,102 times
Reputation: 63
Not a chance, the Steinbrenners already shot that rumor down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-25-2012, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,592,904 times
Reputation: 10491
Wouldn't that be hilarious...after they held up the city for a new stadium! (Oh wait...maybe that's why the rumor hasn't surfaced until now)...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 06:23 AM
 
Location: Hometown of Jason Witten
5,985 posts, read 3,744,576 times
Reputation: 1915
I've heard the club may be worth $3 billion. That's more money than I make in a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-27-2012, 06:34 AM
 
4,399 posts, read 9,088,866 times
Reputation: 2352
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
I've heard the club may be worth $3 billion. That's more money than I make in a year.
I think most of us can safely say that. That's more money than most of us would make in the next 60,000 years(if we lived that long).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 09:39 AM
 
Location: Long Island,New York
8,163 posts, read 13,214,370 times
Reputation: 2489
A BS rumor! The Steinbrenners will NEVER sell the team. The Steinbrenners will sell the team when Trump refuses to hire his useless family members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-28-2012, 01:28 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,847 posts, read 19,619,016 times
Reputation: 4449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
Wouldn't that be hilarious...after they held up the city for a new stadium! (Oh wait...maybe that's why the rumor hasn't surfaced until now)...
That's what Bud Selig did in Milwaukee. Bud had payroll around 25-26 million and kept cutting payroll and then got Miller Park built then sold the team for around 223 Million however I hear the latest evaluation of the brewers has the team valued at 376M. So Bud Selig and Mark Attanasio so far stand to make a lot of profit.

#22 Milwaukee Brewers - Forbes.com

#1 New York Yankees - Forbes.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 04:56 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,592,904 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
A BS rumor! The Steinbrenners will NEVER sell the team. The Steinbrenners will sell the team when Trump refuses to hire his useless family members.
I know you're a fan and all...but let's not say "never." The Steinbrenners will sell the team when they judge the time is right. And they probably won't give out much advance notice when they make that determination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-29-2012, 09:28 PM
 
10,334 posts, read 12,345,773 times
Reputation: 14314
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I know you're a fan and all...but let's not say "never." The Steinbrenners will sell the team when they judge the time is right. And they probably won't give out much advance notice when they make that determination.
A. 3B is crazy money but the Dodgers just sold for 2.2..... So 3B isn't that far off
B. Another round of Obama may change the tax code, a sellout now could result in big savings(remember Huizenga sold the Dolphins for the same reason)
C. This was George's team, maybe the kids want to sell and just go spend the money!

Either way I don't care!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-31-2012, 09:55 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn
40,056 posts, read 30,592,904 times
Reputation: 10491
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
A. 3B is crazy money but the Dodgers just sold for 2.2..... So 3B isn't that far off
B. Another round of Obama may change the tax code, a sellout now could result in big savings(remember Huizenga sold the Dolphins for the same reason)
C. This was George's team, maybe the kids want to sell and just go spend the money!

Either way I don't care!
I'm going with choice "C," because that might be the most accurate!

I don't care either, although I must say it would create some interesting scenarios...

When the Dodgers and Giants moved out of NYC, the Yankees defaulted to the title of "New York City Major League Baseball Franchise." Their permission actually had to be sought in order to permit the Mets to play ball here. Let's say the Yankees are sold, and moved elsewhere. That would leave the Mets as the only team in town, and THEY would be the ones whose permission is necessary to put another team in [abandoned] Yankee Stadium.

Imagine a second NL team figuring to capitalize on the huge market we have here and wanting to move to The Bronx!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top