U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2019, 11:13 PM

525 posts, read 211,317 times

Advertisements

Abundant Red Sox and Yankee fans are the problem, not the solution. And they're all around Tampa Bay as well. Plus, nobody associated with baseball has any interest in this idea. It's hard enough to accomplish goals that owners and players actually want to achieve.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2019, 06:12 AM

1,223 posts, read 579,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Someone (I forgot who) mentioned it either here or on an article: I think this a precursor to something bigger:
Tampa moves, but they stay in state and move to Miami. Marlins make the move to Montreal. I think for a couple reasons.

1) Tampa, I think would do OK in the Miami market with all the Red Sox & Yankee fans. In that stadium, assuming they keep it, games vs. the Yankees & Red Sox would sell out, and don't forget about Jays fans, there are a TON in Florida as well. Better fan bases (and traveling fan bases), better city, better stadium. The only times the Marlins draw relatively well, for their standards anyways, are when the Mets, Cubs & Cardinals come in, and unfortunately for them the Mets can't hold a candle to what the Yanks, Sox, or even Jays can potentially bring in, and they only get 3 or 4 home dates a season for the Cubs & Cards.
2) Since Montreal was an NL team, I think they would remain an NL city if they got another team, though Milwaukee lost the Braves to Atlanta but then got the Pilots from Seattle (than an AL team) so who really knows?? Of course at that time there really was no "difference" between AL & NL anyways.
I threw out an armchair proposal of having the Miami Marlins become AL East to help their attendance and have the Rays become NL East and be a closer rival to the Braves. Having Montreal be an NL team won't do it. Charlotte, Nashville, or maybe Raleigh could work better (I prefer a NC city though between DC and ATL... Mets and Philly fans have a good presence in NC metros and a good team will convert some Braves' fans in NC until they become majority eventually).

Last edited by 80s_kid; 07-03-2019 at 06:23 AM..

Old 07-04-2019, 12:46 AM

Guys, the options are: split city with Montreal or full move to Montreal.

Period.

Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM

3,960 posts, read 2,510,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumby88 View Post
Guys, the options are: split city with Montreal or full move to Montreal.

Period.
Since the area seems so resistant to simply moving across the Bay to Tampa, that might be the only options.

I was going to mention that the Rays split with the Yankees over the weekend, but that still leaves them 7.5 back at the break...

Old Today, 04:19 AM

They needed to win one of those two extra inning games to gain some ground. Just couldn't pull it off.

Whether or not the Rays pursue an extra bullpen arm will come down to the next two series. Four games against the lowly Orioles and four more games against the Yankees. Gain three games on NY during these series and the Rays are buyers. If the standings havent budged then the current roster will have to prevail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball