U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:04 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,075,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
A few wins? Their bench players have really been contributing.
True, and their young players have also, IMO, mostly been a bust.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 05:11 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,800,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
IMO, the Phils are not playoff bound in 2012.
In my opinion the sun will turn into a fish at 3:17. Opinions are not always valuable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn
The Phils have been weaker each of the last few years,

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok
The Phillies have increased their regular season win total for 5 consecutive seasons.
2006...85 wins
2007...89 wins
2008...92 wins
2009...93 wins
2010...97 wins
2011...102 wins
Quote:
50 games in is not early. It means by the time the weekend is done, MLB will have entered its second third of the season. 15 games is early.

Quote:
Detroit was 27-26 on May 30th last season and won 95 games.

Pittsburgh was 51-44 on July 19th and lost 90 games.

People read way too much into early season records.
Quote:
A few wins?
Yes.

Quote:
Did you check the standings?
Yes.

Quote:
The Mets are much younger
Yes.

Quote:
and more talented this season
No.

Quote:
The Phillies aren't really a good team withouth Utley, Halladay and Howard. Their pitchers are also struggling.
I think you went a bit dyslexic. The Philles aren't a really good team without Utley Halladay and Howard.

I had the Phillies about 8 games up on the rest of the division without Howard and Utley. Halladay is about an 8 win pitcher. He's contributed about 2 wins so far. Minus Halladay the Phills are about even with the Nats, Marlins and Braves. If they get Utley, Howard and Halladay back and they perform anything like we are accumstomed to, I'll take the Phillies. These injures have certainly tightened things up though.

Old 05-31-2012, 12:07 PM

18,677 posts, read 17,075,025 times
filhok "I had the Phillies about 8 games up on the rest of the division without Howard and Utley. Halladay is about an 8 win pitcher. He's contributed about 2 wins so far. Minus Halladay the Phills are about even with the Nats, Marlins and Braves. If they get Utley, Howard and Halladay back and they perform anything like we are accumstomed to, I'll take the Phillies. These injures have certainly tightened things up though.[/quote]"

I wouldn't take the Phils even if Howard and Utley are 70%-and I expect them to be far less. Utley has had too many serious injuries, and Howards is most likely going to hinder his ability to drive balls as he used to.

I do not think the Nats have peaked; they have also had key injuries, when they are complete, offense will be at least NL avg, with the NL's best pitching, by far. Braves are the hardest read-can win or lose 9 straight.

Last edited by bobtn; 05-31-2012 at 12:21 PM..

Old 05-31-2012, 12:16 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
In my opinion the sun will turn into a fish at 3:17. Opinions are not always valuable.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

No.

I think you went a bit dyslexic. The Philles aren't a really good team without Utley Halladay and Howard.

I had the Phillies about 8 games up on the rest of the division without Howard and Utley. Halladay is about an 8 win pitcher. He's contributed about 2 wins so far. Minus Halladay the Phills are about even with the Nats, Marlins and Braves. If they get Utley, Howard and Halladay back and they perform anything like we are accumstomed to, I'll take the Phillies. These injures have certainly tightened things up though.

Is Halladay being out actually a bad thing? I mean the man has lost his last 5 or 7 starts so he is far from being a threat this season. And I also find it funny everytime Halladay gets rocked there must be some sort of injury that is the reason the other team is getting hits.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:06 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,304,068 times
Quote:
True, and their young players have also, IMO, mostly been a bust.
Well Duda and Davis hasn't been great so far this season. Still have time to turn it around.

Quote:
In my opinion the sun will turn into a fish at 3:17.

No
So the Mets aren't more talented this season? 28-23 isn't anything to be proud about? They are playing much better baseball this season. They were under 500 this time last season. BTW, what team do you root for?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,329,545 times
Quote:
Well Duda and Davis hasn't been great so far this season. Still have time to turn it around.

So the Mets aren't more talented this season? 28-23 isn't anything to be proud about? They are playing much better baseball this season. They were under 500 this time last season. BTW, what team do you root for?
You can't tell he is a Phillies Fan? He started liking the Phillies in 2008

Old 06-01-2012, 05:08 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't take the Phils even if Howard and Utley are 70%-and I expect them to be far less. Utley has had too many serious injuries, and Howards is most likely going to hinder his ability to drive balls as he used to.

I do not think the Nats have peaked; they have also had key injuries, when they are complete, offense will be at least NL avg, with the NL's best pitching, by far. Braves are the hardest read-can win or lose 9 straight.
I feel I should respond to this but I can't find anything of substance to reply to.

As pointed out above, 70% of Utley is one of the best 2B men in the league. 70% of Howard is much better than what they are running out right now.

The Nats certainly haven't peaked. Most of their players are just beginning their careers.

Any team can win or lose 9 straight. I just posted that the Twins won 15 of 17 last year and they were horrible.

Old 06-01-2012, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Is Halladay being out actually a bad thing?
The best pitcher in baseball? Yes. It is a bad thing.

Quote:
I mean the man has lost his last 5 or 7 starts so he is far from being a threat this season. And I also find it funny everytime Halladay gets rocked there must be some sort of injury that is the reason the other team is getting hits.
Well. He is injured. [preemptive mod cut]

Old 06-01-2012, 05:16 AM

Quote:
So the Mets aren't more talented this season?
More talented than what?
The other teams in the division? No.
The 2011 Mets? Maybe

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony22
BTW, what team do you root for?
Quote:
Not sure how this is relevant but
Quote:
Jon Heyman (SI_JonHeyman) on Twitter

Quote:
jamie mccourt wins case and gets half #dodgers. 2 lawyers tell me ruling is right. A mess now, tho
This does not bode well for the future of my favorite franchise. [Insert another word here that starts with an 'F']!!!
Looks like TVandSportsGuy is wrong yet again.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 AM

1,961 posts, read 4,304,068 times
Quote:
Bandwagon fan if this is true

Quote:
More talented than what?
The other teams in the division? No.
The 2011 Mets? Maybe
Other than the Nats and maybe the Marlins, who is more talented? The Mets have a good record against the nl east. No one is giving credit to the Mets. How sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball