U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 AM

15,740 posts, read 6,186,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Well Duda and Davis hasn't been great so far this season. Still have time to turn it around.

So the Mets aren't more talented this season? 28-23 isn't anything to be proud about? They are playing much better baseball this season. They were under 500 this time last season. BTW, what team do you root for?

Davis will no doubt be fine (although I'd like our pitchers to carry tasers and sting Wright the next time he crosses into Davis' turf for a popup-LOL!), and I expect Duda to be good power guy, lots of homers, doubles, good RBIs, but a below average BA.

I am a longtime Met fan. Like the kids this year, and with Wheeler and Harvey Flushing bound inside 12 months, I adore the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I feel I should respond to this but I can't find anything of substance to reply to.

As pointed out above, 70% of Utley is one of the best 2B men in the league. 70% of Howard is much better than what they are running out right now.

The Nats certainly haven't peaked. Most of their players are just beginning their careers.

Any team can win or lose 9 straight. I just posted that the Twins won 15 of 17 last year and they were horrible.

I'm not talking 70% peak Utley or Howard. I'm betting each is no more than 70% 2012 performance levels, with Utley just a mediocre 2nd baseman now for the rest of his career.

The Braves losing 8 or 9 is a shock, as their pitching alone should prevent that from happening. The Twins could lose 15 straight; I fully expect them and the Cubbies to be awful for a long time.

Old 06-01-2012, 12:18 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

32,732 posts, read 21,038,597 times
Quote:
Bandwagon fan if this is true

Other than the Nats and maybe the Marlins, who is more talented? The Mets have a good record against the nl east. No one is giving credit to the Mets. How sad.
The Mets played 51 games and won more than half of them and gets no credit for being a improved team. Now I know that maybe hard for some people going by how the Mets played the since collapsing and losing the Division in 2007 but sometimes you have to give credit when credit is due. But the main reason why there are a lot of empty seats at the Mets stadium is because of this below

2007-(88-74)...no playoffs due to collapse late in the season
2008-(89-73)-no playoffs
2009-(70-92)
2010-(79-83)
2011-(77-85)

So basically the Mets have been a JOKE for the past 5 years so I can understand why most are not ready to take them seriously and want to wait to atleast July but I still see that there is something different about this team along with the rest of the NL East.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
The Mets played 51 games and won more than half of them and gets no credit for being a improved team. Now I know that maybe hard for some people going by how the Mets played the since collapsing and losing the Division in 2007 but sometimes you have to give credit when credit is due. But the main reason why there are a lot of empty seats at the Mets stadium is because of this below

2007-(88-74)...no playoffs due to collapse late in the season
2008-(89-73)-no playoffs
2009-(70-92)
2010-(79-83)
2011-(77-85)

So basically the Mets have been a JOKE for the past 5 years so I can understand why most are not ready to take them seriously and want to wait to atleast July but I still see that there is something different about this team along with the rest of the NL East.
True, fans are waiting a bt longer, plus their prices are still amongst leagues highest, despite reducing payroll. Add in that while they are playing well, without Reyes, their style is not a ton of flair, but rather substance, and none of those bode well for increasing attendence tremendously short-term.

Once the coveted Wheeler arrives, plus Harvey, I'd expect ticket sales to go up tremendously.

Old 06-01-2012, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtn View Post
True, fans are waiting a bt longer, plus their prices are still amongst leagues highest, despite reducing payroll. Add in that while they are playing well, without Reyes, their style is not a ton of flair, but rather substance, and none of those bode well for increasing attendence tremendously short-term.

Once the coveted Wheeler arrives, plus Harvey, I'd expect ticket sales to go up tremendously.
Wow, they have the highest prices and haven't done anything? Well I guess that explain why they are so many empty seats for a winning team while teams like the Padres and Cubs are in last place and have no missing seats.

Old 06-01-2012, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Wow, they have the highest prices and haven't done anything? Well I guess that explain why they are so many empty seats for a winning team while teams like the Padres and Cubs are in last place and have no missing seats.
2 years ago, this Met fan opted to go to Philly and get field level box seats for all 3 games, because while I paid around $230 with Stub Hub fees for 3 games in Philly, Citi Field was going to cost me at least $500 for the same quality seats. Plus, the NYC hotels would have been a few hundred more for 4 days , too. I came on a Thursday and flew out Monday afternoon.

I'm likely going to see the Mets again in 2013 (can't this year due to eye surgery messing up my schedule), but again I will most likely see them in either Atlanta, Milwaukee, Chicago, or San Diego. I'd like to see more parks, and all have far more reasonably priced field level seats, and better hotel prices. I got a awesome Name Your Price deal in Philly at the Hilton Garden Inn, and will use the same method in 2013 in a different city, I hope. Did like the park, by the way.

Citi Field prices on Stub Hub are down a smidge, but still outlandish.

Old 06-02-2012, 12:57 AM

1,961 posts, read 1,991,051 times
Quote:
Davis will no doubt be fine (although I'd like our pitchers to carry tasers and sting Wright the next time he crosses into Davis' turf for a popup-LOL!), and I expect Duda to be good power guy, lots of homers, doubles, good RBIs, but a below average BA.

I am a longtime Met fan. Like the kids this year, and with Wheeler and Harvey Flushing bound inside 12 months, I adore the future.
The future looks bright for this organization

Old 06-02-2012, 01:03 AM

Quote:
The future looks bright for this organization
Santana with a no-hitter tonight against the Cards

Old 06-02-2012, 05:56 AM

13,302 posts, read 6,026,523 times
Quote:
Bandwagon fan if this is true
It's not. [Pre-emptive mod cut]

Quote:
Other than the Nats and maybe the Marlins, who is more talented?
The Braves and Phillies

Old 06-02-2012, 06:03 AM

13,302 posts, read 6,026,523 times
Quote:
the Braves losing 8 or 9 is a shock, as their pitching alone should prevent that from happening. The Twins could lose 15 straight; I fully expect them and the Cubbies to be awful for a long time.
The Twins WON 15 of 17 last season. That would also be considered 'shocking'. That's what's so great about baseball. Shocking things happen all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball