Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 02:34 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,296,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Their last winning record after the All Star break was 2005. So that's why I still need to see more
How many players from the 2005 team are on the 2012 team?
What does 2005 have to do with anything?

Does winning 2 of 3 from the Yankees make them a lock for the division or do you need to watch another month of games to decide that? Because you've said both...in the span of consecutive posts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2012, 02:47 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,992,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
How many players from the 2005 team are on the 2012 team?
What does 2005 have to do with anything?

Does winning 2 of 3 from the Yankees make them a lock for the division or do you need to watch another month of games to decide that? Because you've said both...in the span of consecutive posts.

Let me explain it to you one more time. Baseball fans are not used to seeing the Nats with a winning record this late in the season so of course no one is ready to take them seriously. I mentioned 2005 because that was the last time the team was winning which confirms that it's smart not to get too high on the team just yet. So if they are still winning in Mid-July then we can say this team is for real this year.

And i mentioned the Yankees because they are a good AL team especially at home so if the Nats were able to win the series this weekend then that would be a huge indicator that this team is not a JOKE and should be taken seriously. By the way, the Nats are tied 3-3 in the 11th inning right now with the Yankees which means I;m getting closer and closer to being sold on the team.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Let me explain it to you one more time. Baseball fans are not used to seeing the Nats with a winning record this late in the season so of course no one is ready to take them seriously. I mentioned 2005 because that was the last time the team was winning which confirms that it's smart not to get too high on the team just yet. So if they are still winning in Mid-July then we can say this team is for real this year.
You're gonna need to explain it to me again, because I still don't get it.
The Pittsburgh Pirates similarly have been poor as of late and had a 48-43 record last July 15th and were in first place. They weren't a good team. A W-L record in mid July can still be deceiving.

Quote:
And i mentioned the Yankees because they are a good AL team especially at home so if the Nats were able to win the series this weekend then that would be a huge indicator that this team is not a JOKE and should be taken seriously. By the way, the Nats are tied 3-3 in the 11th inning right now with the Yankees which means I;m getting closer and closer to being sold on the team.
Who cares what happens in 3 games. If the 80 games played in mid-July can't tell you who a good team is, how can 3 games?

The Nats are a good team, but beating the Yankees has nothing to do with it.

So again, you recently said
1) if the Nats beat the Yanks they are a lock for the division
2) you need to wait until mid-July to make a prediction.

It appears to me that these two statements contradict themselves. Explain to me how they don't.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
You're gonna need to explain it to me again, because I still don't get it.
The Pittsburgh Pirates similarly have been poor as of late and had a 48-43 record last July 15th and were in first place. They weren't a good team. A W-L record in mid July can still be deceiving.

Who cares what happens in 3 games. If the 80 games played in mid-July can't tell you who a good team is, how can 3 games?

The Nats are a good team, but beating the Yankees has nothing to do with it.

So again, you recently said
1) if the Nats beat the Yanks they are a lock for the division
2) you need to wait until mid-July to make a prediction.

It appears to me that these two statements contradict themselves. Explain to me how they don't.

You right I did contradict myself and shouldn't have said they are a lock for the division if the beat the yanks. I should have said I will be sold on the team if they win the series this weekend because I'm not used to see the Nats play good baseball like this. And are you seriously bringing the pirates into this conversation and they haven't had a winning season since 1992????????

Old 06-16-2012, 03:22 PM

Quote:
You right I did contradict myself and shouldn't have said they are a lock for the division if the beat the yanks. I should have said I will be sold on the team if they win the series this weekend because I'm not used to see the Nats play good baseball like this. And are you seriously bringing the pirates into this conversation and they haven't had a winning season since 1992????????
I am bringing the Pirates into this because, similar to the Nats, last season they were a team with a recent record of losing who were playing well for over half the season.

Unlike the Nats the Pirates were a bad team.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:09 PM

Quote:
I am bringing the Pirates into this because, similar to the Nats, last season they were a team with a recent record of losing who were playing well for over half the season.

Unlike the Nats the Pirates were a bad team.

The Pirates have not showed any signs of improvement in the past 5 years so using that team as an example as a comparison to the Nats is not a good one.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:16 PM

Quote:
The Pirates have not showed any signs of improvement in the past 5 years so using that team as an example as a comparison to the Nats is not a good one.
Mid-way through July last year they were over .500 and leading their division

What, specifically, have the Nats done to convince you that they have improved?

What can they do between now and July 15th to either further convince you or convince you otherwise?

Old 06-16-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Mid-way through July last year they were over .500 and leading their division

What, specifically, have the Nats done to convince you that they have improved?

What can they do between now and July 15th to either further convince you or convince you otherwise?

Well for the starters the way they finished last season which was a game under .500 And the only thing they can do to further convince me that they are really for real is to maintain their 1st place division lead. Right now they are 3 and a half games ahead of the Braves and 4 games ahead of the Mets and if they maintain or increase their lead by July 15th I;m sold.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:17 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
They have been doing the right thing. They are a nice mix of drafted players, free agent role players and veterans. The team is willing to spend if need be but are building a solid core from within.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Well for the starters the way they finished last season which was a game under .500 And the only thing they can do to further convince me that they are really for real is to maintain their 1st place division lead. Right now they are 3 and a half games ahead of the Braves and 4 games ahead of the Mets and if they maintain or increase their lead by July 15th I;m sold.
So, if the Nationals win 16 of their next 27 games (the pace they've been winning games this far this season) and the Braves win 20 of their next 25 games after 90 games the Braves will have 55 wins and the Nationals 54.

That means the Nationals aren't for real?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball