U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 04:07 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,615 posts, read 50,604,199 times

Advertisements

Wasn't expecting the Nats to get swept this weekend but I guess the Yanks are that good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 08:01 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,649,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Wasn't expecting the Nats to get swept this weekend but I guess the Yanks are that good.
You just proved my point from Post #38.

And just for the record, I am not a "miserable Mets fan," as you attempted to characterize me. I am a very happy Mets fan, since nobody was willing to grant them playing as well as they have. It remains to be seen how much of a Nats supporter you are, however. I suspect that one or two series losses will have you singing the praises of some other team.

Old 06-19-2012, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
You just proved my point from Post #38.

And just for the record, I am not a "miserable Mets fan," as you attempted to characterize me. I am a very happy Mets fan, since nobody was willing to grant them playing as well as they have. It remains to be seen how much of a Nats supporter you are, however. I suspect that one or two series losses will have you singing the praises of some other team.
I said I am a Miserable Mets Fan

Old 06-20-2012, 08:16 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,649,616 times
But why are you miserable? 37-32 in the third week of June, when the so-called "experts" didn't think they were any better than fifth place is nothing to sneeze at!

As of this morning's stats, the Mets are three games back of Washington. As hot as the Nats have been, all they've got is a three game lead.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:45 AM

2,240 posts, read 3,116,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
The Nats definitely have talent. They had been putting pieces together last year; I just wasn't sure that the young turks like Strasbourg and Harper were going to be effective, but the team has gelled well. It's a good mix of veterans and home-grown players. I think they're for real if they can get through the season without significant injuries. The Braves will challenge them for the division, but they've got a solid manager in Davey Johnson who's been there before.

I like the Reds this year, too. If they can stay healthy, they might be able to make a surprisingly deep run into the playoffs, too. If the Reds rotation can cut their ERA and get some ground outs more often, they've got some pretty good power pitching to complement their lineup. Statistically speaking, the team doesn't look that impressive now, but I think they will get better as the season continues. I think they'll be even more confident as they pull away from the Pirates and Cardinals.

The National League West also has two very good teams to watch out for and I think it may end up producing the NL winner this year. The Giants pitching is solid and if Timmy can get his stuff straight, they will be a very intimidating pitching rotation to face, although they still need better production offensively. The Dodgers are *the* team at the moment, though. Very tough pitching stuff, and they've been surprisingly good without Kemp.

I think the AL will ultimately come down to the Yankees vs. Rangers. The Angels may creep back into this thing, but they have yet to really put it altogether.
I'm a big Dodgers fan. If Timmy was pitching half way decent this year the Giants would probably be in 1st. Dodgers pitching has done well but I think some guys are pitching better than they really are. Capuano and Harang and Lilly all 3 have given the Dodgers some good innings this year. I can't see all 3 keeping up with there current productivity level.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:54 AM

Quote:
But why are you miserable? 37-32 in the third week of June, when the so-called "experts" didn't think they were any better than fifth place is nothing to sneeze at!

As of this morning's stats, the Mets are three games back of Washington. As hot as the Nats have been, all they've got is a three game lead.

I been miserable ever since that collapse that allowed the Phillies to get in the playoffs in 2007. Since that collapse the Mets have not been anything to brag about and maybe this can be the year?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:44 PM

1,961 posts, read 4,322,239 times
Quote:

Bingo. I am really impressed with this years team so far.

Old 06-20-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony22 View Post
Bingo. I am really impressed with this years team so far.
Yes because I'm so used to the Mets playing like CRAP so it's defintely a surprise

Old 08-03-2012, 12:01 AM

6,589 posts, read 4,548,591 times
The Nats got lucky in some regard. The 2 years they drafted #1 (09 & 10) they got 2 players who were shoo-ins for the #1 pick. Those 2 (Harper & Strasburg) were so obvious going to be #1 picks, once it was decided who was picking #1, you didn't even need to discuss who you were going to take. Also if I remember those 08 Nats (who picked first in 09) they finished a half game worse then the Mariners did that year because they had a postponed game that wasn't made up. Imagine the fortunes of the 2 franchises if the M's pick first and get Strasburg to line up behind Felix Hernandez and the Nats picked second and got Dustin Ackley??

Old 08-03-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
The Nats got lucky in some regard. The 2 years they drafted #1 (09 & 10) they got 2 players who were shoo-ins for the #1 pick. Those 2 (Harper & Strasburg) were so obvious going to be #1 picks, once it was decided who was picking #1, you didn't even need to discuss who you were going to take. Also if I remember those 08 Nats (who picked first in 09) they finished a half game worse then the Mariners did that year because they had a postponed game that wasn't made up. Imagine the fortunes of the 2 franchises if the M's pick first and get Strasburg to line up behind Felix Hernandez and the Nats picked second and got Dustin Ackley??
I want to know why the Nats Stadium is EMPTY and they are in first place in the month of August
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball