Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2012, 04:25 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times

Advertisements

Some improbable off-field injuries, some of them deserving of a Darwin Award:

Jonathan Lucroy will miss the All star game, because his wife knocked a suitcase off the bed and crushed his hand.

Jeremy Affeldt sliced his hand open, trying to separate frozen hamburgers.

The cardinals lost two World Series starters in recent years. Mike Matheny cut his hand open with a hunting knife he just got for his birthday, and Vince Coleman got run over by the tarp while trying to retrieve his glove. They nearly lost Bob Gibson for a series, when his leg was broken by a line drive into the dugout, but he was back in time for the post season.

I just heard about someone (I forgot who) who wrenched something when his son jumped up to welcome him home.

I think it was Dick Allen who nearly ended his career when he put his hand though the headlight of a car he was pushing. Somebody cut his toe off with a lawn mower, it might have been Curt Simmons.

You could make a whole all-star team of player who went on the DL after punching the water cooler or other immovable objects.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM

48,564 posts, read 24,115,388 times
In 1981, the split season mandated by the strike had added an extra round of playoffs to the post season. The A's beat the Royals to advance to the championship round against the Yankees. I attended Game Three which was played at the Coliseum.

In centerfielder Dwayne Murphy's second at bat, he pulled a chest muscle so badly while checking his swing that he had to leave the game, his at bat finished by Rick Bosetti who stayed in the game to play CF....and make a crucial ninth inning failure to reach a ball that Murphy would have handled, allowing three runs to score.

In that same game, in the seventh inning, Rickey Henderson checked his swing at the plate, and also hurt himself so badly that he had to leave the game.

Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 AM

9,755 posts, read 7,466,855 times
My 2 favorites:

Sammy Sosa landed on the DL because he blew out his back....sneezing
Randy Choate got bit by his pet snake I think it was a few years back when he was pitching for Tampa Bay

Old 08-03-2012, 12:35 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
The ever-injured Rich Harden once hurt his shoulder turning off an alarm clock.

Old 08-04-2012, 07:21 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,932,444 times
Jeremy Guthrie fell off his bike.

Colorado Rockies pitcher Jeremy Guthrie injured in fall from bicycle - ESPN

Old 08-04-2012, 08:27 PM

5,793 posts, read 13,933,932 times
I can relate to Sammy's sneezing back injury. I woke up one morning in my high school days, sneezed, and popped something in my neck. I couldn't get out of bed for the rest of the day. So I guess it can happen.

Old 08-21-2012, 02:28 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,300,979 times
Not an injury, but I didn't know where else to put this odd reason for missing a game

Ryan Dempster Missed Saturday Start in Toronto Reportedly Because He Lost His Passport - NESN Nation - NESN.com
Quote:
Dempster missed his originally scheduled Saturday start against the Blue Jays due to "personal reasons," according to Texas, but the fine print in this one is what's fun. Dempster reportedly doesn't have his passport
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball