U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 05:48 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,882,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomdude View Post
Im ok with interleague, but they need to do a better job with the scheduling.

Atlanta just played 6 games against the Yankees in 10 games, and all of their games were against the AL East (techincally, they wont be done until the 20th).

How hard would it to be to play 3 games against 5 different AL teams, and not all in the same division?
That's because the AL East is playing the NL East this season. Next year it will be better with Houston moving to the AL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 06:15 PM

198 posts, read 434,705 times
Currently AL rules prevail in AL parks, while NL rules prevail in NL parks. I think an interesting twist would be if they did a series or two of interleague play where NL rules were played at AL parks and vice versa. I live in an AL city, but I think it would be fun to watch a game played by NL rules at my local park. It would cut into home field advantage, but for me the novelty would be worth it.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:56 AM

5,517 posts, read 9,018,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
That's because the AL East is playing the NL East this season. Next year it will be better with Houston moving to the AL.

I dont understand why this needs to happen? I find it ridiculous the Braves are playing the Yankees twice.

Old 06-19-2012, 05:45 PM

20,915 posts, read 39,201,627 times
I was able to find a site that has interleague play stats for all games played so far in 2012.

Excerpt:

The AL and NL have squared off in 168 of 252 scheduled games so far, and the ... AL has pounded the senior circuit: 96 wins for the AL, 72 for the NL, good for a .571 winning percentage. It isnít just a few close games going the ALís way either, as theyíve outscored the NL 776 to 659.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:48 AM

2,218 posts, read 3,089,045 times
I like the concept of interleague but not the schedules. I get tired of seeing the Dodgers play the Angles 6 times EVERY year. Not only is it not fair to the Dodgers (Angels were good for a lot of years). But I'd like to know that the Dodgers will face every team in the AL East once every 3 years. It would be great to have an idea on where your team might be playing so you can try and see them play.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:17 PM

706 posts, read 1,809,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I like the concept of interleague but not the schedules. I get tired of seeing the Dodgers play the Angles 6 times EVERY year. Not only is it not fair to the Dodgers (Angels were good for a lot of years). But I'd like to know that the Dodgers will face every team in the AL East once every 3 years. It would be great to have an idea on where your team might be playing so you can try and see them play.
And, in 16 years of interleague play, the Dodgers haven't played one game yet against the Yankees in New York. I guess there would be no fan interest in such a game, and so-called "fan interest" is the whole raison-d'etre for interleague play.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:54 PM

20,915 posts, read 39,201,627 times
Now that all 252 Interleague games have been played for 2012, the AL won 142 and the NL 110. Stat per this website.

That gives the AL a record of .563 and the NL a record of .437 for this season. Probably not very meaningful.

The AL has been the overall season winner now for 9 seasons.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 07-09-2012, 05:04 PM

3,939 posts, read 7,527,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Now that all 252 Interleague games have been played for 2012, . . .
It's over? Good.

AL teams are put together differently than NL teams because of the DH. So they have the advantage of one extra batter. I know NL teams stick someone in there, but AL teams are built to take advantage of this rule.

Then they go to the NL park and play by NL rules, and the NL should have the advantage because their pitchers hit more than AL pitchers. Unfortunately, pitchers can't hit. They can't even bunt. Why should they spend time learning to hit when they might end up in the AL anyway? So the NL misses what should be their advantage, and they have made the NL the "weaker" league.

Interleague play - Grrrrrrrr.
Designated hitter - Grrrrrrrr.

Old 07-09-2012, 09:34 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,292,936 times
I have a stupid question, appropriate for All Star Week.

Instead of awarding WS home field to the ASG winner, why not award it to the team with the best record in Inter-league play? So the team that gets the advantage actually earns it themselves.

I think interleague games are actually slightly less important than games within your own league. Within your league, if you lose, another team in your league also gains a game on you. But if you lose an interleague game, there is not necessarily the consequence of another team gaining on you in the standings. In an interleague game, you do not gain or lose a full game in the standings against your competitor.

Old 07-09-2012, 10:03 PM

3,451 posts, read 8,156,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
TAM, agree. I keep hoping to see my O's come to Denver....

Also agree that I would've loved to see Hank Aaron when I lived in/around Baltimore....imagine seeing Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson in the same game.....

It would've been great for fans all over the nation to see the greats of the "other" league play in their town, can you imagine the chance to have seen Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle, Yaz, Berra, Jackie Robinson, Ted Williams, and so many other of the greats play in NL parks around the country, and vice versa. Being brought up and living in an AL city, the names of the NL greats are a mystery to me, but I'd love to have seen Clemente, Pete Rose, Aaron, and many of the other NL greats. TV just doesn't do justice to watching Brooks Robinson or Cal Ripken spear a ball that would've gone for a double with most other Third Basemen.
Ironically, many of the players listed above DID play in an opposite league ballpark; it just so happens those ballparks (namely the Polo Grounds in New York from 1913 to 1922, Sportsman's Park in St. Louis from mid-1920 to 1953, Shibe Park/Connie Mack Stadium from mid-1938 to 1954, Dodger Stadium/Chavez Ravine from 1962 to 1965, and Shea Stadium in 1974-1975) hosted both American League and National League teams at the same time. Actually, during the 1903 to 1952 period, half the cities in the major leagues hosted both AL and NL teams at the same time, so many fans were able to see the great players in both leagues. Even today, there are some metro areas (New York, Los Angeles, Chicago, San Francisco Bay) or metro areas near one another (most of the Northeast Corridor, especially Baltimore and Washington, Chicago-Milwaukee, Los Angeles-San Diego, Cleveland-Pittsburgh to a lesser degree) where it isn't hard for fans to see players in both leagues. I've been fortunate that I've lived most of my life near or relatively near Philadelphia and New York, Baltimore and Philadelphia (and then Baltimore, Philadelphia, and Washington), and now Washington and Baltimore (and Philadelphia) that I could easily see either National League or American League games if I so chose (which I have for last dozen years).

I'm personally not a fan of interleague play, and I'm especially not a fan of interleague play occurring throughout the season (though that still beats the second wild-card), but the reality is interleague play is here to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball