U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 09:39 PM

20,917 posts, read 39,213,491 times

Advertisements

I'm looking at the Inter-League (IL) play this weekend and observe that:

There were 14 IL games played each day this past weekend, Fri-Sat-Sun, June 15-16-17, 2012.

On Friday, the AL teams won 7 of the 14 games.

On Saturday, AL teams won 10 of the 14 games.

On Sunday, the AL teams won 12 of the 14 games.

In total, the AL teams won 29 of 42 games, playing .690 baseball.

Should we draw a conclusion that the AL is the stronger league?

In the prior weekend, 8-9-10 June, the AL won 22 of 42, playing .524 baseball, a more normal outcome.

Any thoughts?
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2012, 11:17 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,804,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
I'm looking at the Inter-League (IL) play this weekend and observe that:

There were 14 IL games played each day this past weekend, Fri-Sat-Sun, June 15-16-17, 2012.

On Friday, the AL teams won 7 of the 14 games.

On Saturday, AL teams won 10 of the 14 games.

On Sunday, the AL teams won 12 of the 14 games.

In total, the AL teams won 29 of 42 games, playing .690 baseball.

Should we draw a conclusion that the AL is the stronger league?

In the prior weekend, 8-9-10 June, the AL won 22 of 42, playing .524 baseball, a more normal outcome.

Any thoughts?
The AL is better, but also small sample size.

Old 06-18-2012, 05:53 AM

40,056 posts, read 30,547,756 times
I preferred the old, "unbalanced" schedule that promoted divisional rivalries. I'd much rather see that than some of the interleague matchups we get. Aside from the logical ones (Mets-Yankees, Cubs-White Sox, Reds-Indians, Cardinals-Royals, Giants-A's, etc.), I wouldn't mind if the whole idea was scrapped.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
I preferred the old, "unbalanced" schedule that promoted divisional rivalries. I'd much rather see that than some of the interleague matchups we get. Aside from the logical ones (Mets-Yankees, Cubs-White Sox, Reds-Indians, Cardinals-Royals, Giants-A's, etc.), I wouldn't mind if the whole idea was scrapped.
I disagree vehemently. As I've mostly lived in NL cities, I enjoy the opportunity to see AL teams I wouldn't otherwise see.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:55 AM

8,163 posts, read 13,193,381 times
I also would like to see some type of rotation which brings teams together that normally don't play each other. What happens if the Yankees and Mets met in the World Series? It would be a little less special considering they already played some interleague games.

Old 06-18-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I also would like to see some type of rotation which brings teams together that normally don't play each other. What happens if the Yankees and Mets met in the World Series? It would be a little less special considering they already played some interleague games.
Probably no one would watch. Can you say 'ratings nightmare!"?

Old 06-18-2012, 10:59 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,884,166 times
I don't get why people hate interleague play. Baseball is the only sport where teams from each conference or league don't play on a regular rotation in their schedule. It's "special" when the Red Sox play the Rockies. Do the Red Sox really need to play the Yankees even more than they already do?

Also, a marquee player like Albert Pujols should be seen by fans in all cities, not just the AL ones. Imagine if Michael Jordan only played against eastern conference teams outside of the finals?

Old 06-18-2012, 12:47 PM

20,917 posts, read 39,213,491 times
TAM, agree. I keep hoping to see my O's come to Denver....

Also agree that I would've loved to see Hank Aaron when I lived in/around Baltimore....imagine seeing Hank Aaron and Frank Robinson in the same game.....

It would've been great for fans all over the nation to see the greats of the "other" league play in their town, can you imagine the chance to have seen Ruth, Gehrig, Dimaggio, Mantle, Yaz, Berra, Jackie Robinson, Ted Williams, and so many other of the greats play in NL parks around the country, and vice versa. Being brought up and living in an AL city, the names of the NL greats are a mystery to me, but I'd love to have seen Clemente, Pete Rose, Aaron, and many of the other NL greats. TV just doesn't do justice to watching Brooks Robinson or Cal Ripken spear a ball that would've gone for a double with most other Third Basemen.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:19 PM

5,517 posts, read 9,020,330 times
Im ok with interleague, but they need to do a better job with the scheduling.

Atlanta just played 6 games against the Yankees in 10 games, and all of their games were against the AL East (techincally, they wont be done until the 20th).

How hard would it to be to play 3 games against 5 different AL teams, and not all in the same division?

Old 06-18-2012, 03:30 PM

17,032 posts, read 26,891,477 times
I like interleague play. Its nice to see teams you don't get to see often.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball