U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2012, 02:19 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,816,736 times

Advertisements

So as not to go off topic in another thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
After 27 games of futility as an Angel, Albert Pujols was benched today in favor of Mark Trumbo playing first. Trumbo was 2 for 4 with a home run and is hitting
.297/.357/.547 overall.
This was posted at the beginning of May.

Through April Albert hit .265/.304 (OBP/SLG) with nary a home run.

In May Albert hit 8 home runs and .309/.491 (still well below his career average of .416/.610)
Thus far in June Albert has hit 3 home runs and .395/.594 (much closer to the Pujols of old)

The Angels have some other interesting players at first base.

The aforementioned Mark Trumbo has continued to blast the ball and has 16 home runs and a .380/.629 line on the season.

There's also Kendry Morales who in 2009 hit 34 home runs and .355/.569 and was off to a decent start in 2010 when he did this. Morales has 7 home runs and a .317/.413 line.

In this thread, I projected Trumbo to hit .330/.500 on the rest of the season. That might end up being low. I also projected Pujols to hit .340/.500 for the rest of the season. He looks likely to beat that as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 09:50 AM

1,635 posts, read 2,200,842 times
Even if Pujols maintains or steps up his pace, he will be hard pressed to match his production of last year. Last year was, of course, the worst production of his career and the first season he batted under .300 and had fewer than 100 RBIs. I know that he missed a few games, but it's hard to not draw the conclusion that his best years are well behind him. If he's struggling, relatively to his own standards, this early in his 10 year contract, I can only imagine how he'll be in the latter years.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:35 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,470,470 times
How much of Pujols struggles this year can be attributed to seeing different pitchers this season on a more regular basis than he has the previous years in the National League? Yes I know that trades are made every year and that National League pitchers go to the American League and vice versa. Sports Illustrated reported in an in depth article on Pujols that he has a video recording of every bat that he has made in the majors. I don't know how common that is to have that, but Pujols is definitely a student of batting and always looking to improve himself. He has a little over 2 months to raise his stats but it looks like he will fall pretty short of lifetime averages this year. Maybe his best years are behind him but then again, maybe next year he really ramps it up having faced the Amercan League pitchers for a full season and getting to know what works for him against those pitchers. He has had a very good July though and did some damage over the weekend to the Texas Rangers.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:06 AM

41,238 posts, read 18,629,386 times
There may be some significance to the fact that Pujols started terribly last year as well. Perhaps slow starts will be regular features of all post prime Pujol seasons. If he now requires a couple of months before he is capable 1.000 OPS offense, then he will no longer have 1.000 OPS seasons.

I say "may" and "perhaps" because none of us really know. We have information on the impact of aging on the average player, or the typical player, but Pujols is not one of those. He was a 1.000 OPS hitter in his first year at age 21, there isn't a large enough database of those types of players from which we may reliably project futures. And we must also take it on faith that Pujols really was 21 years old as a rookie and is 32 years old now. Albert is from the Dominican Republic where, as we have discovered, lots of folks are not fanatics about honest representations of age.

Old 07-23-2012, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan2008 View Post
How much of Pujols struggles this year can be attributed to seeing different pitchers this season on a more regular basis than he has the previous years in the National League? Yes I know that trades are made every year and that National League pitchers go to the American League and vice versa. Sports Illustrated reported in an in depth article on Pujols that he has a video recording of every bat that he has made in the majors. I don't know how common that is to have that, but Pujols is definitely a student of batting and always looking to improve himself. He has a little over 2 months to raise his stats but it looks like he will fall pretty short of lifetime averages this year. Maybe his best years are behind him but then again, maybe next year he really ramps it up having faced the Amercan League pitchers for a full season and getting to know what works for him against those pitchers. He has had a very good July though and did some damage over the weekend to the Texas Rangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
There may be some significance to the fact that Pujols started terribly last year as well. Perhaps slow starts will be regular features of all post prime Pujol seasons. If he now requires a couple of months before he is capable 1.000 OPS offense, then he will no longer have 1.000 OPS seasons.

I say "may" and "perhaps" because none of us really know. We have information on the impact of aging on the average player, or the typical player, but Pujols is not one of those. He was a 1.000 OPS hitter in his first year at age 21, there isn't a large enough database of those types of players from which we may reliably project futures. And we must also take it on faith that Pujols really was 21 years old as a rookie and is 32 years old now. Albert is from the Dominican Republic where, as we have discovered, lots of folks are not fanatics about honest representations of age.
Pujols has certainly seemed to right whatever was wrong with him at the beginning of the season.

Since June 1st Pujols has hit: .327 with 10 HR, 24 walks, and 16 strikeouts. That's a .412 OBP and .603 slg which is a .422 Weighted On Base Percentage which is 71% better than the league average hitter.

In other words, he's been Albert Pujols. For his career he has a .426 OBP which is 65% better than an average hitter.

The slow starts are worrisome, as are the age concerns. But, when people look back at this season and see Albert's final numbers, they won't realize that (for June and July at least - it remains to be seen if Albert will continue at this pace), Pujols was as good as ever.

Old 07-24-2012, 08:27 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,148,519 times
If Pujols doesn't get injured and get placed on the DL I think its safe to say that he'll finish the regular season with a batting average of .280+, 25 to 30 homeruns and have 90-100 RBI. Not too shabby after having a bad April and early May. Go HALOS!

Tanana and Ryan... and two days of cryin.'

-Cheers.

Old 07-27-2012, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainBiking View Post
If Pujols doesn't get injured and get placed on the DL I think its safe to say that he'll finish the regular season with a batting average of .280+, 25 to 30 homeruns and have 90-100 RBI. Not too shabby after having a bad April and early May. Go HALOS!

Tanana and Ryan... and two days of cryin.'

-Cheers.
ZiPS likes him to finish at .283 30 100.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:08 AM

9,071 posts, read 15,074,862 times
Buyers remorse has been averted this year, but I am sure the Angels will be having second thoughts in a couple years if Albert's numbers continue to show decline (BA, and OPS has declined for 5 straight years, HR and RBI in 4 straight). It is starting to look like the errosion of an aging ballplayer to me... and with 9 years left I would be worried what he will be producing in 3-5 years! (His salary number escalates a lot as the contract ages too, per baseball reference)

Old 07-28-2012, 01:47 PM

2,423 posts, read 3,148,519 times
Very true but Arte got his billion dollars for television so money wise Arte is way ahead of the game if Albert is a bust. The only ones that lose are the fans.

-Cheers.

Old 07-30-2012, 08:25 PM

Angels' first base types went 5 for 9 with 2 doubles, 2 home runs, 1 walk, 4 runs and 8 RBI today.

Kendrys Morales was responsible for both home runs and he hit both in the 6th inning. One from each side of the plate

http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23472855
http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=23472173
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball