U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM
 
Location: Mequon, WI
7,835 posts, read 19,562,238 times
Reputation: 4430

Advertisements

Hahaha what are we watching here? they look like the bad news bears, I feel for ya Case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-06-2012, 08:29 PM
Status: "Enjoying the extended daylight." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
46,815 posts, read 36,996,604 times
Reputation: 28328
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Just sitting here drinking an Old Milwaukee tall boy watching the Brewers game and remembering how sweet those Astros uniforms were, man I love those things!

I got my broom ready!
We'll see.


Maybe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 03:25 PM
 
Location: A Land Not So Far Away
3,956 posts, read 2,815,309 times
Reputation: 5515
^ Hey, Case, looks like your 'Stros keep growing that minor league system.

Take a look at this. Astros ship Myers to White Sox for prospects | MLB.com: News

You've probably seen that one coming anyway. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2012, 04:02 PM
Status: "Enjoying the extended daylight." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
46,815 posts, read 36,996,604 times
Reputation: 28328
Finally, the 'Stros end their longest skid (for now) and brought their bats with them. 9-5 win today over the Pirates. Best game in a bad July. Now, they can begin a new winning streak in earnest once again. Well, except for the fact that they go back on the road........

Former Houston sportswriter Richard Justice puts in his two cents on the Astros' rebuilding.

Richard Justice: Astros have blueprint to build contender | astros.com: News

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
You've probably seen that one coming anyway. Thoughts?
Sure, but then, a lot of people did. Myers was going to be traded anyway, no question. If even one person out of all the people we bring in pans out and does very well, then it's a good trade.

I'll tell you this about Myers: When he was on, he was on! In the weeks leading up to the trade, he was losing his touch.

Last edited by case44; 07-29-2012 at 04:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Status: "Enjoying the extended daylight." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
46,815 posts, read 36,996,604 times
Reputation: 28328
Default Walk Off Wins

These guys hadn't even done it all year. That is, until two nights ago. Now, they've done it back to back.

MLB.com Gameday | astros.com: Gameday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Status: "Enjoying the extended daylight." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
46,815 posts, read 36,996,604 times
Reputation: 28328
Can't believe that they let go of Bobby Heck, who had done an incredible job in the Astros' last five drafts. They've already brought in Mike Elias as an assistant, and now he moves up to scouting director.

Here's more for you below, plus more on the 'Stros' new acquisitions.

Elias gets right to work in new position with Astros | astros.com: News

Last edited by case44; 08-12-2012 at 03:32 PM.. Reason: Spelling = Special Ed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 PM
 
Location: A Land Not So Far Away
3,956 posts, read 2,815,309 times
Reputation: 5515
Brett Wallace looks like the real deal here. And, from what I've heard, he's hit all of his home runs this season on the road.

MLB.com Gameday | MLB.com: Gameday
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 09:02 AM
Status: "Texas State of mind" (set 27 days ago)
 
Location: I-35
1,804 posts, read 3,694,997 times
Reputation: 715
Love those 90's astro uniforms, At least there Sugar Land they taken all the attention of the Stros.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-06-2012, 09:37 AM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,789,297 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Brett Wallace looks like the real deal here. And, from what I've heard, he's hit all of his home runs this season on the road.

MLB.com Gameday | MLB.com: Gameday
He has 7 HR's on the road and 0 at home, yes.

The real deal?

Not so sure about that

Currently Wallace is hitting .353/.487 (On Base Percentage and Slugging). That's 28% better than the average major league hitter. Which is good.

However, Wallace is a first baseman. That 28% better than the league average hitting ranks 15th over qualified 1Bmen over the last 3 years. So, in Wallace's best season he's produced at the level of an average 1Bman.

There's also reason to think that he's playing over his head.

The first point is that he's hitting line drives 30% of the time. That's excellent. So excellent, in fact, that there's no way he'll be able to sustain that rate. 2 qualified hitters have been able to hit over 25% line drives over the last 3 seasons (Joey Votto (26.6) and Ruben Tejada (25.4)). It's doubtful that Wallace is better than the best line drive hitters in baseball.

Also, Wallace hit line drives about 21% of the time over his last 2 seasons in the minors. Obviously line drives go for hits a lot more often than any other type of batted ball (about 75% of the time). When those line drives turn into groundballs or flyballs he's going to be making a lot more outs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2012, 09:12 AM
Status: "Enjoying the extended daylight." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: Suburban Dallas
46,815 posts, read 36,996,604 times
Reputation: 28328
Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
Brett Wallace looks like the real deal here. And, from what I've heard, he's hit all of his home runs this season on the road.
Well, I'm sure he'll improve over time, mal. He hasn't arrived yet, but it's pretty close. I still think first base next season will be either Wallace or prospect Jonathan Singleton, who is projected to become a really good hitter (possibly with power) and, maybe, better than what Wallace is now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
He has 7 HR's on the road and 0 at home, yes.

The real deal?

Not so sure about that

Currently Wallace is hitting .353/.487 (On Base Percentage and Slugging). That's 28% better than the average major league hitter. Which is good.

However, Wallace is a first baseman. That 28% better than the league average hitting ranks 15th over qualified 1Bmen over the last 3 years. So, in Wallace's best season he's produced at the level of an average 1Bman.

There's also reason to think that he's playing over his head.

The first point is that he's hitting line drives 30% of the time. That's excellent. So excellent, in fact, that there's no way he'll be able to sustain that rate. 2 qualified hitters have been able to hit over 25% line drives over the last 3 seasons (Joey Votto (26.6) and Ruben Tejada (25.4)). It's doubtful that Wallace is better than the best line drive hitters in baseball.
If you say so. Young players develop over a period of time. If he makes the cut after Spring Training next season, then there's a chance he could become better than what recent stats have shown. That's why Jeff Luhnow and company are hoping for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txstate View Post
Love those 90's astro uniforms, At least there Sugar Land they taken all the attention of the Stros.
They're doing a special emphasis on Fridays during their 50th anniversary season. That's in case you don't already know. Next year, they're planning to have new uniforms altogether.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top