U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-30-2014, 03:15 AM
Status: "Dow hits new high - over 27,000!" (set 2 days ago)

46,860 posts, read 37,027,875 times

Advertisements

Jose Altuve is enjoying a standout year, and he's currently got a .347 batting average. If he doesn't win the fan vote for the All-Star Game, then he should certainly nab the manager's choice when spots need to be filled.

Meanwhile, Altuve is also in some distinct company. Take a look.

Astros' Jose Altuve is first in 97 years with four straight multi-steal games | astros.com: News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2014, 12:37 AM

17,032 posts, read 26,876,260 times
Starting pitching is becoming respectable. That's the hard part. I can see in the next couple years getting some relievers and free agent fielders that can hit .280.

Old 07-01-2014, 03:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Starting pitching is becoming respectable. That's the hard part. I can see in the next couple years getting some relievers and free agent fielders that can hit .280.
Well, except for McHugh's off-night on Monday, he's been pretty good all year. Oberholtzer, I think, will eventually be back with us full-time. Keuchel, for the moment, is not healthy, but he's had an All-Star year. Cosart is doing pretty well. So the rotation will come around as the season progresses.

My beef about the bullpen is Jerome Williams. He's finally been designated for assignment, and it's about time. I don't know what the club saw in him, but he never impressed me one iota.

Regarding infielders, they just called up Domingo Santana. He's supposed to be a pretty good hitter, so we'll see how he'll fit in.

Old 07-09-2014, 06:06 PM

Two-game winning streak now in progress after a seven game skid.

We'll see if we get win number three in this current streak tonight in Arlington.

Old 07-18-2014, 04:20 PM

OK, so the Astros and Brady Aiken can't come to a deal. The issue is his elbow. Oh, well; now he'll just have to go the JUCO circuit and hope to be eligible again next year.

Houston's season rolls on tonight in Chicago. The Astros are in fourth place and hope to get any kind of momentum going, and they hope to do it with a new winning streak.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:48 PM

5,655 posts, read 5,701,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
OK, so the Astros and Brady Aiken can't come to a deal. The issue is his elbow. Oh, well; now he'll just have to go the JUCO circuit and hope to be eligible again next year.

Houston's season rolls on tonight in Chicago. The Astros are in fourth place and hope to get any kind of momentum going, and they hope to do it with a new winning streak.
Given not signing Aiken also means they don't sign Nix or Marshall and this looks like Luhnow made one heck of a screwup.

Old 07-22-2014, 07:36 PM

Bad news for the past 3, number 1 picks. Correa has broken foot/leg and out for season, Appel getting lit up in A ball (college pitchers were supposed to be AA ready I thought), and not signing Aiken. This is bad, very bad.

On another note...on top of not being able to watch the games at home due to the a$$clownery of the Comcast TV deal, being in the AL West make a bunch of the games start at 9pm local time. Who can stay up for that???

Astros better make some progress soon otherwise baseball interest is getting killed locally.

Old 07-23-2014, 02:46 PM

Here's some positive news: The Astros pulled off an extra-inning win, 3-2, in 12 innings against a good Oakland team.

They should start putting some distance now between them and the Rangers. Should be real interesting despite injuries to important people. We need Springer back.

Old 08-01-2014, 12:50 AM

Damn. We traded Cosart, one of the young semi-reliable starters for a 3rd baseman and a draft pick??? While two of our last three #1 picks are pitchers that aren't panning out so far...???

The new regime is making me think they lack competence.

Old 08-02-2014, 05:32 AM

Astros squeezed out a nice 3-1 win to tie up the series with the Jays. They're still hanging on to fourth place, but they need to begin a long winning streak and start building distance between themselves and the Rangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oildog View Post
Damn. We traded Cosart, one of the young semi-reliable starters for a 3rd baseman and a draft pick??? While two of our last three #1 picks are pitchers that aren't panning out so far...???

The new regime is making me think they lack competence.
It did surprise me when it happened, but they say Cosart was expendable. We do have Foltynewicz coming up, but he'll start out as a reliever.

Regarding Appel, he may have had a bad start this season, but I still think he'll eventually get it together and pan out. It's not a foregone conclusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball