U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2015, 10:27 AM

28,499 posts, read 15,458,018 times

Advertisements

Dexter Fowler traded to the Cubs... disappointing.

I definitely liked the Altuve, Fowler, Springer hitting combo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2015, 02:20 PM

41,002 posts, read 18,578,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

In that the return for Fowler (Luis Valbuena and Dan Straly) does not seem equal to his worth, I'm guessing that this was entirely a $ decision.

Fowler was eligible for arbitration this year and asked for 10.8 million. The Astros had offered 8.5 million. It may seem like Houston is being awfully cheap, hurting the team in order to save two million, but it is more than that. Fowler will be a free agent at the end of the 2015 season and the Astros must be thinking that they would not be able to afford what he would command. Accordingly, they decided to get what they could for him while they still could get something. Unfortunately I don't see those somethings as helping the team very much.

Old 01-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Status: "Dow hits new high - over 27,000!" (set 3 days ago)

46,879 posts, read 37,047,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post

I definitely liked the Altuve, Fowler, Springer hitting combo.
I'll miss Dexter, too. Had he stayed, he certainly would have produced. Luhnow would have definitely kept him for one more year had a better idea not come up. And now they got Colby Rasmus signed for one year. As Peter Marshall used to say on Hollywood Squares, "This maaaaay work out...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In that the return for Fowler (Luis Valbuena and Dan Straly) does not seem equal to his worth, I'm guessing that this was entirely a $ decision.

Fowler was eligible for arbitration this year and asked for 10.8 million. The Astros had offered 8.5 million. It may seem like Houston is being awfully cheap, hurting the team in order to save two million, but it is more than that. Fowler will be a free agent at the end of the 2015 season and the Astros must be thinking that they would not be able to afford what he would command. Accordingly, they decided to get what they could for him while they still could get something. Unfortunately I don't see those somethings as helping the team very much.
Brad Peacock is hurting now, so it opens up a door for Straily. There are also talks going on with former Giant Ryan Vogelsong, who has pitched his best baseball this decade. Nothing wrong with the 'Stros keeping costs down as much as possible, but on paper, this has been a good offseason with all the moves they've made.

Regarding Valbuena, that will turn out to be a good deal. He's projected to possibly platoon at third with incumbent Matt Dominguez. They both defend well and will offer a good lefty/righty strategy.

Old 02-14-2015, 06:05 AM

Spring Training is almost here, folks!

Astros' truck loaded, hits the road for Spring Training | astros.com

Old 02-17-2015, 01:28 AM

123 posts, read 119,114 times
I see Houston and the Cubs as two young teams soon to be on the rise. Very happy for both organizations. This is coming from a Braves fan. Gattis Is a folk hero in Georgia. Get him 500 at bats and see what he can do.

Old 02-18-2015, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpike2 View Post
I see Houston and the Cubs as two young teams soon to be on the rise. Very happy for both organizations. This is coming from a Braves fan. Gattis Is a folk hero in Georgia. Get him 500 at bats and see what he can do.
If Evan gets to play every day, then certainly, especially when you consider him switching over to the American League. He's played catcher, first base, and left field, so A J Hinch has a lot of possibilities on where to put him in certain games. He'll likely split time between left field and designated hitter.

Old 03-18-2015, 06:53 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,818,143 times
7-4 so far this spring. You guys are looking good!

Old 03-27-2015, 02:43 PM

^^^ Now, they're 10-8, but then again, it's spring training. Right now, we're just looking at individuals to see what would best fit the lineup and the rotation. The bullpen's pretty much set.

And A.J. Hinch seems to be doing real well with player and club camaraderie.

Hinch's approach perfect fit for young Astros | astros.com

Old 04-03-2015, 11:41 AM
Status: "Living rent-free in Mr. Wade’s head" (set 20 hours ago)

16,362 posts, read 8,903,254 times
I'm excited for the 2015 season. I'm predicting 80 wins. Anyone going to the first homestand?

Old 04-04-2015, 07:40 AM

^^ Wish I could, but I'll be working that day.

Astros came home last night and had a disappointing loss to the Royals in exhibition. They'll get another opportunity tonight against same.

Hinch's roster is pretty well set going in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball