U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2015, 03:27 PM
Status: "Moon landing 50th anniversary July 20." (set 4 days ago)

46,943 posts, read 37,087,196 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Can't seem to get past being 14 games over .500. They have had about six or seven chances this year with no success.
Good observation. Perhaps some of these latest callups can help these guys get through September. We've got mostly games within our division this month, so each game is critical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 08:25 PM

The Astros' seven minor league affiliates are all going to the postseason. All seven of them.

Totally unheard of, but that's what's happening now. That will bode well for Houston's future.

Astros have 7 Minor League teams in playoffs | astros.com

Old 09-09-2015, 04:08 PM

3,956 posts, read 2,820,274 times
^ Great stuff there, case. Give Luhnow a lot of credit for getting that thing turned around. I think he's created a monster.

You look and see that my Cards are still way up there in wins, and I believe that Luhnow will pull off the same result eventually in Houston. He's the chief reason St Louis is where it is now. He's used analytics to find the best players, so you'll see that that what he's done in Houston, too. The results speak for themselves on the field. Remember the old Cards-Astros rivalry from yesteryear? Well, you could see something like that again in a future World Series.

Old 09-12-2015, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malfunction View Post
^ Great stuff there, case. Give Luhnow a lot of credit for getting that thing turned around. I think he's created a monster.

You look and see that my Cards are still way up there in wins, and I believe that Luhnow will pull off the same result eventually in Houston. He's the chief reason St Louis is where it is now. He's used analytics to find the best players, so you'll see that that what he's done in Houston, too. The results speak for themselves on the field. Remember the old Cards-Astros rivalry from yesteryear? Well, you could see something like that again in a future World Series.
That'd be nice to see, mal. Now, if the Astros can win some divisional games first.....

Old 09-16-2015, 11:48 AM

28,537 posts, read 15,479,779 times
Case44 - I know you are at the games... do something to shake things up for the next two games vs. the Rangers.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:28 PM

41,143 posts, read 18,604,845 times
The Rangers are over achieving while the Astros are doing the opposite.

Houston is at + 102 runs which translates into a Pythag record of 85-60. The Rangers are at -24, translating into a Pythag record of 69-75.

Texas has been 26-20 in one run games, while Houston has been 19-26. That only accounts for five of the 15.5 games which should represent Houston's lead.

The rest I suspect is accounted for by the inefficiency of the type of offense Houston has. If you assemble an extreme form of offense, you are likely to get extreme results. The Astros are a home run offense with a .310 on base average, that latter ranking 11th among the 15 NL teams. There is no balance to their ability to score, they either hit the ball out of the park or they do not. This results in games where they frequently have more runs than they need, and in games where they are unable to score much at all because they aren't hitting home runs.

That means that Houston's average runs per game is composed of too many games where they had too many runs and too few runs. A club which scored the same number of runs as Houston, but strayed from the average less frequently, would be more efficient and would win more games.

Texas is 6th in runs scored, 7th in OBA and 8th in the NL in slugging. They have a more balanced offense and consequently, a more efficient one.

I further suspect that what I am presenting to you will be the next big thing that comes from the Sabermetric community and spreads to the front offices. ....offensive and defensive efficiency. What has yet to be nailed down are the details of what constitutes the sort of team which will stray from the average less frequently. It is obvious that the more extreme you are (heavily dependent upon one aspect over others) the less efficient you will be. You hit a lot of home runs but don't have many people on base when it happens....no good. You get on base a lot, but don't have sluggers to drive them home...also no good. Teams with such compositions will be inefficient.

Old 09-16-2015, 03:56 PM

6,551 posts, read 4,502,743 times
Could be the biggest start for Kuechel in his short career to stop the bleeding. I know Astros are going home for a long home stand after Thursday's game, but if they lose tonight they may not see first again until 2016. Kuechel is most likely going to win the AL Cy Young winner, and aces stop losing streaks.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:14 PM

The Astros had better get busy, and with urgency. The problem is, they're not capitalizing on opportunities to score runs when they've gotten men on base, and the Rangers have been burning the 'Stros every time they can't. What Houston must do is get to the opposition early. McHugh didn't have all his best stuff last night. Hopefully, Keuchel can stop the Rangers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Case44 - I know you are at the games... do something to shake things up for the next two games vs. the Rangers.
Unfortunately, I couldn't make it. Have to settle for TV.

Old 09-16-2015, 05:42 PM

41,143 posts, read 18,604,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
The problem is, they're not capitalizing on opportunities to score runs when they've gotten men on base,
Houston has left 910 base runners stranded so far in 2015, the 4th fewest among the 15 AL teams.

The problem has not been failure to capitalize on opportunities, it has been the failure to create enough opportunities. The AL OBA is .317, the Astros are at .310.

Last edited by Grandstander; 09-16-2015 at 06:03 PM..

Old 09-16-2015, 08:40 PM

28,537 posts, read 15,479,779 times
Grandstander - you have plenty of stats... here is THE fact...

Astros started out 27-14. Since then, they have been who they are - which is 50-55 by the end of tonight. They have been riding the hot start all season because the others have been mediocre as well.

It is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball