U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2018, 03:33 PM

491 posts, read 192,280 times

Advertisements

HUGE Astros fan here! I only lived in Houston for 3 years back in my teens, during the Biggio/Bagwell days. I was there for the last 2 years in the Astrodome and the first year at Enron Field...then my parents moved us to Seattle. Now I'm married and living in San Diego. I wish the Astros came to Petco Park more ~ I sure miss watching them play. Padres aren't that exciting, lol.

Last year was an amazing year for them, I was so happy for the players, the fans and the city. Even though they weren't champs this year, they still had a good season. I will always root for them.

I'm curious what will happen during the off season ~ I'd like for them to stay as close to the roster they had last year but I know changes are inevitable in that business. Any hope they have at keeping Keuchel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2018, 04:51 PM
Status: "Dow hits new high - over 27,000!" (set 2 days ago)

46,862 posts, read 37,036,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious.In.California View Post
HUGE Astros fan here! I only lived in Houston for 3 years back in my teens, during the Biggio/Bagwell days. I was there for the last 2 years in the Astrodome and the first year at Enron Field...then my parents moved us to Seattle. Now I'm married and living in San Diego. I wish the Astros came to Petco Park more ~ I sure miss watching them play. Padres aren't that exciting, lol.

Last year was an amazing year for them, I was so happy for the players, the fans and the city. Even though they weren't champs this year, they still had a good season. I will always root for them.

I'm curious what will happen during the off season ~ I'd like for them to stay as close to the roster they had last year but I know changes are inevitable in that business. Any hope they have at keeping Keuchel?
First, I'll answer your last question: Keuchel's becoming a free agent and will feel his way around the market. I do not expect him back in an Astros uniform. Coming back next year will be Verlander and Cole, plus most of the bullpen except Sipp. Morton wants to come back, and I think he'll work out a deal with the team, though I do not believe that it will be long-term. Much of the lineup will return, but Marwin Gonzalez and Evan Gattis will become free agents. The team declined Brian McCann's 2019 return.

I'm speculating that, since the Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw might opt out of his deal with the team, and I think Houston could be his next stop. Kershaw's from Texas, and although his hometown team is the Rangers (who are going nowhere right now), a deal with Houston could make sense for a contending team. He does have back problems, however. Nevertheless, he'd make a nice addition. Now, that's far from a done deal, and it may not even happen, but the Astros would be a great choice for Kershaw if Luhnow and Crane can make it work. Houston will need lefthanded pitching, both from the rotation and the bullpen. They also will need catching depth.

As far as the Astros visiting San Diego, it won't happen next year. AL West teams will be playing the NL Central teams and the Astros also get the Colorado Rockies in another interleague balance/leftover matchup. I don't know which year it'll be for the 'Stros and the NL West. Stay tuned.

Hopefully, you've adjusted to Houston being a member of the American League.

Old 10-31-2018, 05:25 PM

2,217 posts, read 3,087,610 times
I thought of Kershaw possibly going to Houston as well. Not sure if they'd want to pay that much money though. They seem to be pretty analytic and paying that much for an aging player could put a strain financially in the next 2-3 years while this team is still very competitive.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:31 AM

11,701 posts, read 3,203,729 times
Quote:

Petco is a great park , but I hear ya re the team.

You could always do a road trip to Anaheim to watch the Astros when they play the Angels...but that can be harder when you're married.

I enjoyed watching games at Anaheim Stadium....but I was only driving over from Newport Beach.

Old 11-01-2018, 07:34 AM

11,701 posts, read 3,203,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I thought of Kershaw possibly going to Houston as well. Not sure if they'd want to pay that much money though. They seem to be pretty analytic and paying that much for an aging player could put a strain financially in the next 2-3 years while this team is still very competitive.

I'm sure glad they decided to add Verlander late last year though.

I don't know if they would have hoisted the trophy at the end of the year without him.

Old 11-01-2018, 10:28 AM

491 posts, read 192,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
As far as the Astros visiting San Diego, it won't happen next year. AL West teams will be playing the NL Central teams and the Astros also get the Colorado Rockies in another interleague balance/leftover matchup. I don't know which year it'll be for the 'Stros and the NL West. Stay tuned.
Bummer ~ I guess my only option would be to drive up to Anaheim and watch them if they play the Angels. The traffic getting up there though, ugh. We'd have to make it a weekend trip or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I'm speculating that, since the Dodgers' Clayton Kershaw might opt out of his deal with the team, and I think Houston could be his next stop. Kershaw's from Texas, and although his hometown team is the Rangers (who are going nowhere right now), a deal with Houston could make sense for a contending team. He does have back problems, however. Nevertheless, he'd make a nice addition. Now, that's far from a done deal, and it may not even happen, but the Astros would be a great choice for Kershaw if Luhnow and Crane can make it work. Houston will need lefthanded pitching, both from the rotation and the bullpen. They also will need catching depth
My husband is a SoCal native and HUGE Dodgers fan ... he will root for the Astros with me except when they play his Dodgers -- so during the 2017 World Series, ugh, that was tough. My team vs. his team. We're still married so all is good, ha!

But he and his Dodger buddies are always at our place watching the games and they think Kershaw will stay a Dodger but they said if he left, they wouldn't be heartbroken over it - they say they'd rather have Keuchel than Kershaw. But I really don't want Kershaw, I'd rather keep Keuchel as an Astro, personally.

Is there a good Astros Podcast, app, website or talk radio that Houstonians listen to? What is the best way to stay up-to-date with the very latest regarding changes during the off season?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
Petco is a great park , but I hear ya re the team.
Yeah, Petco is great! Games are so fun here but not enough fan support, its weird. Especially when the Dodgers come to town, it looks like a Dodgers home game. I kinda feel bad for the Padres.

Old 11-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Status: "Trump 2020-Making America Great Again" (set 12 hours ago)

16,353 posts, read 8,900,570 times
Quote:
Bummer ~ I guess my only option would be to drive up to Anaheim and watch them if they play the Angels. The traffic getting up there though, ugh. We'd have to make it a weekend trip or something.

My husband is a SoCal native and HUGE Dodgers fan ... he will root for the Astros with me except when they play his Dodgers -- so during the 2017 World Series, ugh, that was tough. My team vs. his team. We're still married so all is good, ha!

But he and his Dodger buddies are always at our place watching the games and they think Kershaw will stay a Dodger but they said if he left, they wouldn't be heartbroken over it - they say they'd rather have Keuchel than Kershaw. But I really don't want Kershaw, I'd rather keep Keuchel as an Astro, personally.

Is there a good Astros Podcast, app, website or talk radio that Houstonians listen to? What is the best way to stay up-to-date with the very latest regarding changes during the off season?

Yeah, Petco is great! Games are so fun here but not enough fan support, its weird. Especially when the Dodgers come to town, it looks like a Dodgers home game. I kinda feel bad for the Padres.
Dowload the MLB app on your phone and select the Astros as your favorite team. You can also listen to their radio broadcast of the games via the app. Follow them on social media.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:18 PM

Quote:

I'm a Dodgers fan & the reason many Dodgers fan will not be heartbroken now is because he has continued to struggle when it mattered most. Last year in game 5 had not 1 but 2 decent leads only to give the game back to the Astros. I think we were up 4-0 or 5-0 and he blew it. If we win that game we probably win the series.

I hope Kershaw stays but only if it's a smart business decision. He continues to decline & get injured every year so giving him a 4 year deal could really put a strain financially on a team the last couple years.

Old 11-01-2018, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I'm sure glad they decided to add Verlander late last year though.

I don't know if they would have hoisted the trophy at the end of the year without him.
I'm not sure you guys make it past the Yankees if it wasn't for Verlander.

I think Verlander is a different situation though. Kershaw is down in velocity. I'm not sure if that was Verlanders problem. I think he just had a case of being on a losing team & it's hard to compete sometimes when you're in a situation like that.

Verlander is also a FA after 2019. Kershaw would probably be given a 4 year deal.

Old 11-01-2018, 01:18 PM

40,975 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post

I think Verlander is a different situation though. Kershaw is down in velocity. I'm not sure if that was Verlanders problem.
Verlander has regained his velocity after a three year period ('13, '14 & '15) where it dropped from the 95.5-96.5 mph range each season, to the 93-94 mph range. Starting in 2016 he pushed back to the 95.5 range and has remained there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball