U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2019, 02:17 PM

47,508 posts, read 37,518,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Verlander vs. Morton is must-see TV!
I concur. Should be very interesting. When you can, check out what Bregman said about Morton. There's no hate at all. It's halfway through the following link. Good stuff. https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/fram...s-sweep-angels
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2019, 09:18 PM

12,746 posts, read 3,445,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by case44 View Post
I concur. Should be very interesting. When you can, check out what Bregman said about Morton. There's no hate at all. It's halfway through the following link. Good stuff. https://www.mlb.com/astros/news/fram...s-sweep-angels
I'm at the game. A chance to see Verlander pitch twice in the same home stand.

I got here before the players were announced, and when Morton was announced, he got a very healthy ovation .

Morton got shellacked. He lasted 4 full, and gave up 6 runs.

In that same 4, Verlander gave up zero runs, had a hit batsman, gave up a single and a double, and struck out 4.

Verlander gave up a single in the 5th.

Kittredge relieved Morton......he gave up a single to Brantley, then a single to Bregman, and then a home run to Alvarez to make it a 9-0 Astro lead. The Kittredge went strikeout, single, groundout, groundout to end the inning. Kittredge only lasted one inning.

Verlander came out to to start the 6th.

He got Meadows to pop out to 3rd.

Then he had a 2-2 count on Pham.

He thought pitch 5 was strike 3, but no.

Pham hit the full count 6th pitch for a double.

Verlander then gave the ump some flack, and the ump threw Verlander out of the game.

Peacock came in and retired the next two.

Roe came ou to pitch the 6th for Tampa Bay. They kept him in the whole inning, but he gave up 3 singles, a double, a walk, comitted an error, and the catcher also committed an error. The Astros scored 5 to make it 14-0.

Peacock pitched the 7th. He gave up a leadoff home run to make it 14-1, but then got an out, gave up two walks, and then retired two to complete the inning.

Brousseau came out and pitched the full bottom of the 7th. He faced four, giving up a solo home run to Alvarez (2nd of the game for Alvarez) to make it 15-1.

McHugh pitched the full 8th for the Astros. He gave up a leadoff walk to Pham, and then retired three in a row.

Brousseau came out an pitched another full inning in the 8th. He gave up a sigle to Reddick, and hit Springer with a pitch, but that was it.

Biagini has retired the first two in the 9th.

It's one of those games where almost every bounce, just about everything is going the Astros way.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:20 PM

Biagini gave up two singles after retiring the first two, so the 5th batter of the inning is up.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:22 PM

Meadows makes the third out.....and the Astros win 15-1 .

Old 08-28-2019, 12:43 AM

I got back, turned on ESPN, and the little ticker at the bottom stated that Alvarez is the first player in 100 years to have 20 home runs and 60 RBIs in his first 60 Major League games.

Old 08-28-2019, 07:08 AM

16,563 posts, read 9,051,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I got back, turned on ESPN, and the little ticker at the bottom stated that Alvarez is the first player in 100 years to have 20 home runs and 60 RBIs in his first 60 Major League games.
I keep waiting for the league to figure this guy out but it ain’t happening. Alvarez is a beast! At this point, he’s got AL Rookie of the Year locked up.

Old 08-28-2019, 10:48 AM

42,128 posts, read 18,848,627 times
Alvarez's chief competition for Rookie of the Year is the Ray's Brandon Lowe. Alvarez and Lowe both have compiled 2.9 WAR, but while Lowe has required 301 plate appearances, Alvarez has done it with just 254 trips to the plate. Vlad Jr. has been improving as the season has unfolded and is now up to 2.2 WAR, but he has needed 417 plate appearances to get there.

And oh, nice hurt you guys put on Tampa Bay yesterday. You gave the A's sole possession of the second wild card slot. Please indulge yourselves in the same manner the next two games.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:34 PM

6,633 posts, read 4,585,041 times
I think he's cooled off a bit but had Bichette come up in say June or even end May instead of the last few days of July, I think he would've been in contention. Cavan Biggio of the Jays will be in contention as well. Of course a lot can change in the final month, but I'm going Alvarez, Brandown Lowe and Biggio as my top 3.

Old 08-28-2019, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
Alvarez's chief competition for Rookie of the Year is the Ray's Brandon Lowe. Alvarez and Lowe both have compiled 2.9 WAR, but while Lowe has required 301 plate appearances, Alvarez has done it with just 254 trips to the plate. Vlad Jr. has been improving as the season has unfolded and is now up to 2.2 WAR, but he has needed 417 plate appearances to get there.

And oh, nice hurt you guys put on Tampa Bay yesterday. You gave the A's sole possession of the second wild card slot. Please indulge yourselves in the same manner the next two games.
As I am a 50 year+ A's and Giants fan as well as a 10 year+ Astros fan.

I hope that either the A's or the Astros represent the American League in the World Series.

I'd like to see Verlander win the Cy Young. I'm hoping the Astros win the game today, but that the Rays get at least three runs off of Cole, and that he strikes out 5 or fewer.

Old 08-28-2019, 05:10 PM

42,128 posts, read 18,848,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I'm hoping the Astros win the game today, but that the Rays get at least three runs off of Cole, and that he strikes out 5 or fewer.
That sounds like the sort of thing you find yourself saying if you are in a Fantasy League.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball