U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-16-2012, 06:07 AM

13,302 posts, read 6,839,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Sure. Here you go from the MLB rulebook:

Quote:
[i]1.11
(a) (1) All players on a team shall wear uniforms identical in color, trim and style,
and all players uniforms shall include minimal six-inch numbers on their
backs.
(2) Any part of an undershirt exposed to view shall be of a uniform solid color for
all players on a team. Any player other than the pitcher may have numbers,
letters, insignia attached to the sleeve of the undershirt.
(3) No player whose uniform does not conform to that of his teammates shall be
permitted to participate in a game.
Rodney's hat is identical in color, trim and style to those of his teammates and does not appear to be in violation of MLB rule 1.11

As Bucfan pointed out, players who wear different type of pants/socks are more in violation of MLB rule 1.11, but I don't see you creating threads calling them thugs.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2012, 02:53 PM

7,738 posts, read 10,014,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
He's actually a really good person and not a thug (or whatever racist term ghetto is supposed to mean).
Has nothing to do with his personality, and now you want to make it about race. I said "act like a thug" not that he is a thug, and I guess all thugs are black?

Here's a fat, white guy looking like a thug. Does that suit you better?

Last edited by neil0311; 07-16-2012 at 03:05 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
As Bucfan pointed out, players who wear different type of pants/socks are more in violation of MLB rule 1.11, but I don't see you creating threads calling them thugs.
And I have wondered why there isn't more uniformity with regard to socks. My point, which apparently is lost on this crowd, is that wearing your hat sideways looks ridiculous, serves no legitimate purpose, and doesn't look professional.

In the real world at large, the people who wear their hats in that manner are typically those who are or who act like thugs and those who we would not want to emulate, and it does not contribute to the image that MLB is trying to project. I guess I'm just an old guy who doesn't take much to stupid crap like wearing your hat backwards or sideways for no good reason.

I still have not gotten a response to my earlier question....if he wore his hat backwards, would that be OK? At what angle does the hat become inappropriate?

Last edited by neil0311; 07-16-2012 at 03:06 PM..

Old 07-16-2012, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
And I have wondered why there isn't more uniformity with regard to socks. My point, which apparently is lost on this crowd, is that wearing your hat sideways looks ridiculous, serves no legitimate purpose, and doesn't look professional.

In the real world at large, the people who wear their hats in that manner are typically those who are or who act like thugs and those who we would not want to emulate, and it does not contribute to the image that MLB is trying to project. I guess I'm just an old guy who doesn't take much to stupid crap like wearing your hat backwards or sideways for no good reason.
Don't know if I'm old or young, but I'm a guy who doesn't care how another grown man wears his hat.

Quote:
I still have not gotten a response to my earlier question....if he wore his hat backwards, would that be OK? At what angle does the hat become inappropriate?
81.7 degrees.
You raise a fair point though. While I don't think I'd care about a pro player wearing his hat backwards, catchers used to do it afterall, I can't imagine the league would stand for it.

Old 07-16-2012, 07:16 PM

11,213 posts, read 7,283,682 times
As long as we are on the topic of the superficial but annoying....

The A's have a lefthanded rookie pitcher named Sean Dolittle. So far he has been pretty good, 26 k's and 4 walks in 16 innings, 2.20 ERA.

For reasons yet to be explained by the A's announcers, when Doolittle leans in to take the sign from the catcher, he mounts his glove hand (right) on his right shoulder so that it is tucked in under his chin. It looks like some sort of military drill. I of course have no objections if this stance helps him get ready to pitch or enhances his concentration when taking the sign, it is just that I have never seen anyone do this before. It looks a bit dorky.

Looks even dumber from this angle....

Old 07-17-2012, 04:03 AM

10,008 posts, read 9,855,396 times
Players are superstitious. They can also be mechanical. As for Rodney's hat, it could be a reason for wearing slightly tilted. When he was brought up through the minors, maybe he needed to tilt it to shade his eyes from the sun, and with success, he didn't want to change the way he wears his hat. The reason for the bill of the cap is to block the sun. There's nothing wrong w/ a little tilt unless you're an absolute conformist who thinks anyone that doesn't conform is a thug.

I don't see anything wrong w/ Doolittle's pose before pitching. He's probably got a few reasons - mechanical - that he does it. Since he's a major league pitcher, he's doing something right. Would be stupid to change his routine to satisfy a spectator in the stands who probably couldn't get the ball over homeplate if given the opportunity.

Baseball needs these kinds of players, imo. 162 games of boredom otherwise.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 AM

11,213 posts, read 7,283,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post

I don't see anything wrong w/ Doolittle's pose before pitching. He's probably got a few reasons - mechanical - that he does it.
That would be my guess, something along the lines of Joe Morgan's elbow flap. Doolittle's "Thinker" pose is probably some device to remind him to do or not do some particular motion associated with his delivery. Maybe he was having trouble with balks, perhaps he was rushing his delivery.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:58 AM

6,855 posts, read 7,991,618 times
I think it is obvious that Rodney should be banned from baseball for wearing his hat at an angle, it is also obvious that he has probably committed several crimes based on the hat alone.

Those players with socks that don't match, they should also be banned from baseball. This is baseball, not some flamoyant fashion parade like ice hockey.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
The A's have a lefthanded rookie pitcher named Sean Dolittle.
I didn't know anything about Sean Doolittle.

I now know that he pitches funny and he was a first baseman/outfielder up until 2010 when injuries forced him into become a reliever.

The results so far have been outstanding

Old 07-17-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
Don't know if I'm old or young, but I'm a guy who doesn't care how another grown man wears his hat.
He's on a professional team and there is a dress code off the field. The team cares about what you wear on the plane or bus heading to the ballpark, but you can wear your hat on the field any way you want? It's not about caring "how another grown man wears his hat" so stop trying to deflect the question. How about answering my question....

At what point/angle does wearing the hat become inappropriate for play in MLB?
If he wore it backwards or as a rally cap, would that be OK?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball