U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 AM

13,293 posts, read 12,797,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
He's on a professional team and there is a dress code off the field.
Are you aware of what the team dress code is? Is he in violation of it?

Quote:
The team cares about what you wear on the plane or bus heading to the ballpark, but you can wear your hat on the field any way you want? It's not about caring "how another grown man wears his hat" so stop trying to deflect the question. How about answering my question....

At what point/angle does wearing the hat become inappropriate for play in MLB?
If he wore it backwards or as a rally cap, would that be OK?
These guys are wearing theirs backwards and as rally cap, but you aren't calling them thugs.

I answered your question as best I could
Quote:
81.7 degrees.
You raise a fair point though. While I don't think I'd care about a pro player wearing his hat backwards, catchers used to do it afterall, I can't imagine the league would stand for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 10:41 AM

40,997 posts, read 18,573,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I didn't know anything about Sean Doolittle.

I now know that he pitches funny and he was a first baseman/outfielder up until 2010 when injuries forced him into become a reliever.

The results so far have been outstanding
I think it is the pose, he's putting the zap on hitter's minds by getting them to focus on his strange sign taking posture and they aren't mentally prepared when the pitch is thrown.

If Doolittle continues to be successful with this approach, it will of course spawn imitation and soon pitchers across the leagues will be adopting individual distration poses. Naturally it will get out of hand when someone like Brian Wilson decides to take the sign by turning his back to the plate, leaning his head down between his legs, and getting the signal while semi mooning the batter.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:49 AM

My curiosity was pricked to the degree that I sniffed around until I found the explanation for Doolittle's sign taking posture...turns out it isn't very dramatic...

Quote:
If you’ve seen Doolittle pitch, you’ve noticed his unusual setup when he’s in the stretch. The lefty reliever tucks his glove under his chin with his right elbow jutting out toward home plate. The reason? Doolittle says he likes the glove under his chin because it helps him focus in on the catcher as he’s getting the signals. As for the elbow, he has no idea why that happens and he said he wasn’t even aware of it until some friends started pointing it out recently. “Since then, several people have been like, ‘You gotta keep it, that’s your thing. That’s your little lefty quirk,’”
Sean Doolittle and his ‘lefty quirk’ - Inside the Oakland Athletics -

Old 07-17-2012, 11:40 AM

8,341 posts, read 14,102,864 times
Quote:
He's on a professional team and there is a dress code off the field. The team cares about what you wear on the plane or bus heading to the ballpark, but you can wear your hat on the field any way you want? It's not about caring "how another grown man wears his hat" so stop trying to deflect the question. How about answering my question....

At what point/angle does wearing the hat become inappropriate for play in MLB?
If he wore it backwards or as a rally cap, would that be OK?
As long as Joe Maddon is a fan, it is a moot point:

Rays' Joe Maddon a fan of Fernando Rodney's crooked hat

Excerpt from the article:

"I know some baseball purists don't like it or dig it," said manager Joe Maddon. "I love it, and you could put a capital L-O-V-E in there. He's just expressing himself and for those that have a hard time with that, too bad."

Old 07-17-2012, 11:51 AM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
of course Maddon would say that...he wears a friggin' hoodie instead of a jersey....he doesn't give a rats azz about any dress code....

Old 07-17-2012, 12:25 PM

21,323 posts, read 21,895,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
of course Maddon would say that...he wears a friggin' hoodie instead of a jersey....he doesn't give a rats azz about any dress code....
a hoodie!

Old 07-17-2012, 12:41 PM

7,846 posts, read 14,884,328 times
Quote:
These guys are wearing theirs backwards and as rally cap, but you aren't calling them thugs.
Guess I must be a racist then. Problem solved.

Quote:
I answered your question as best I could
No you never did. Do you think wearing your hat backwards is acceptable. It's a yes or no answer.

Your user name ought to be "filibuster" since you don't seem to want to respond directly. Can I get a Yes or No?

Old 07-17-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Guess I must be a racist then. Problem solved.

No you never did. Do you think wearing your hat backwards is acceptable. It's a yes or no answer.

Your user name ought to be "filibuster" since you don't seem to want to respond directly. Can I get a Yes or No?
Before you begin issuing titles for your board opponents, it might do to actually read what they have written. In post # 14 filihok wrote:
Quote:
While I don't think I'd care about a pro player wearing his hat backwards, catchers used to do it afterall, I can't imagine the league would stand for it.
Did you not comprehend this? Seems clear to me. filihok has stated that he would not mind if players wore their hats backwards. He also offered his opinion that MLB would care.

I think you owe him an apology.

Old 07-17-2012, 05:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 26,217,684 times
There's a big difference between having a hat slightly skewed and completely on backwards. Maybe he started doing it in the Dominican Republic to keep the sun out of his eyes or maybe to give the batters some sort of cockeyed look....anything to get an advantage over the batter and doesn't upset the umpires deserves a try.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:56 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,759,593 times
Rodney now has what-----27 saves??? As long as he keeps closing out games, he can wear his hat any way he wants to-----seriously, why make this a big issue? He is a true competetor, appears to be a solid guy, and has turned into a good closer. Baseball needs to be a little less tied to conformity---we should be able to accept players making small adjustments to uniforms for their own comfort level----this is not going to harm the game.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or