U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-21-2012, 11:59 AM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,953 posts, read 18,569,815 times
Reputation: 18673

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The Rockies and Royals swapped disappointing left-handers. Jonathan Sanchez goes to Colorado and Brian Guthrie goes to KC. I was not a fan of Guthrie with Colorado, his skill set (fly balls) isn't a match for Coors field. I expect he'll have better results in KC.

Sanchez has been a mess, and as a Dodger fan I won't be rooting for Colorado to straighten him out.
In Sanchez's first full year, 2008, he was roughed up at Coors Field. In three starts he pitched 18.1 innings, gave up 20 hits and nine walks...5.88 ERA while striking out 16.

But in the following three years he was pretty good at Coors....29.1 innings, 17 hits, 16 walks, 31 strikeouts, 3.07 ERA.

Colorado may think that Sanchez is still that '09 through '11 guy who is successful at Coors. Or perhaps since Colorado is currently last among 30 teams with a 5.31 ERA, they have to do something, even if it is just exchanging one problem leftie for another.

Or maybe the Rockies just wanted to get younger and cheaper. Sanchez is 29 to Guthrie's 33. Guthrie is making 8 million a season, Sanchez can fail at the bargain rate of 5.6 million a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-21-2012, 12:32 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,795,417 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
In Sanchez's first full year, 2008, he was roughed up at Coors Field. In three starts he pitched 18.1 innings, gave up 20 hits and nine walks...5.88 ERA while striking out 16.

But in the following three years he was pretty good at Coors....29.1 innings, 17 hits, 16 walks, 31 strikeouts, 3.07 ERA.

Colorado may think that Sanchez is still that '09 through '11 guy who is successful at Coors. Or perhaps since Colorado is currently last among 30 teams with a 5.31 ERA, they have to do something, even if it is just exchanging one problem leftie for another.

Or maybe the Rockies just wanted to get younger and cheaper. Sanchez is 29 to Guthrie's 33. Guthrie is making 8 million a season, Sanchez can fail at the bargain rate of 5.6 million a year.
The advantage that Sanchez has over Guthrie is that Sanchez can get more strike outs. That's especially important in Coors where batted balls are more likely to end up has home runs or other types of hits.

Likewise, Guthrie's flyballing ways will fare better in Kaufman which supresses home runs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,953 posts, read 18,569,815 times
Reputation: 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The advantage that Sanchez has over Guthrie is that Sanchez can get more strike outs. That's especially important in Coors where batted balls are more likely to end up has home runs or other types of hits.

Likewise, Guthrie's flyballing ways will fare better in Kaufman which supresses home runs
I doubt it in this case. I think it is mere desperation on the part of both clubs, a cosmetic change to try and make the fans think that the clubs are at least trying to improve.

Whatever gain the Rockies would receive from the increased strikeouts by Sanchez, is likely to be lost by his inferior control. Guthrie (btw...he is Jeremy, not Brian) has walked 2.7 batters per nine innings over his career, Sanchez issues five free passes per nine innings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,795,417 times
Reputation: 6636
White Sox acquire reliever Brett Myers from the Astros.

unknown what player is going the other way
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,795,417 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I doubt it in this case. I think it is mere desperation on the part of both clubs, a cosmetic change to try and make the fans think that the clubs are at least trying to improve.

Whatever gain the Rockies would receive from the increased strikeouts by Sanchez, is likely to be lost by his inferior control. Guthrie (btw...he is Jeremy, not Brian) has walked 2.7 batters per nine innings over his career, Sanchez issues five free passes per nine innings.
I don't see it that way.

The Royals need some sort of dependability in their rotation. Guthrie is more likely to give them that than Sanchez.

Guthrie was a failed experiment in Colorado. He wasn't going to provide value for them this year. Sanchez has a small chance of being a useful pitcher for them.

It's a pretty good trade for the Royals and a lottery ticket for Colorado
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 02:40 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,953 posts, read 18,569,815 times
Reputation: 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
I don't see it that way.

The Royals need some sort of dependability in their rotation.
What the Royals need is a time machine which will take them back to the day before they decided that they needed Sanchez more than they needed The Melkman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 03:03 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,795,417 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
What the Royals need is a time machine which will take them back to the day before they decided that they needed Sanchez more than they needed The Melkman.
Well, they need pitching more than outfielders. Gordon and Will Myers should be formidable corners for the forseeable future.

Ideally, they'd have
kept Melky through his hot start this season and traded him for someone better than Sanchez.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-21-2012, 05:14 PM
 
Location: Parts Unknown, Northern California
40,953 posts, read 18,569,815 times
Reputation: 18673
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post

Ideally, they'd have
kept Melky through his hot start this season and traded him for someone better than Sanchez.
Or Guthrie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 03:04 PM
 
14,260 posts, read 23,991,339 times
Reputation: 20072
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Remember Buddy Biancalana?
Or Paul Zuvella?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2012, 07:47 PM
 
Location: Albuquerque, NM
13,293 posts, read 12,795,417 times
Reputation: 6636
Quote:
Originally Posted by filihok View Post
The Rockies and Royals swapped disappointing left-handers. Jonathan Sanchez goes to Colorado and Brian Guthrie goes to KC. I was not a fan of Guthrie with Colorado, his skill set (fly balls) isn't a match for Coors field. I expect he'll have better results in KC.
What prescience I showed.

In Guthrie's first game with KC:
5 innings, 4 hits, 5 earned runs, 1 HR, 3 walks and 4 K's.

In my defense, his batted ball profile according to Batted Ball FIP suggests that he should have given up 3.81 runs per 9 innings instead of the 9 runs per 9 he actually gave up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top