U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 11:43 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,364,404 times

Advertisements

I was in the Bay Area when the sweep happened and couldn't help but celebrate, even as a Dodger fan. Gotta love the A's and their scrappy style of play, even as it goes relatively unmentioned in the rest of sports media. I honestly think it's one of the best sportslines all year: nearly EVERYONE had them dead in the water and losing 100 games this season. The A's and stories like those is a huge reason I love sports so much. Definitely the underdog in a division that includes the 2 time AL champion Rangers and the huge spending Angels.

Even though things will eventually cool down, I honestly think the A's are for real this year. I hope the team stays together long enough to at least make a deep playoff run. Something about this team feels magical.

That is more Disney than the Angels itself :P
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 12:19 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,761,229 times
The great story unfolding in Oakland is more fascinating than the movie-----congratulations to the organization----they did have a solid plan and its time for everybody to realize that the Oakland Athletics may indeed be a serious threat.

Last edited by jefffla01; 07-24-2012 at 12:31 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 12:44 PM

52,032 posts, read 41,851,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Too much of the Bay Area is still stuck on the Giants nuts for now and the A's never get any national attention. It's fine though, we're used to being ignored and it's their loss, they are missing one of the most exciting teams to watch. 11 walk-off's so far! I went to 2 of the 4 games over the series and have been going all season long, never gave up hope like some after their 9-game losing streak.

Moneyball 2012! Feels great to beat a team with nearly 4X our payroll.
Whoooooo hoooooo! Yeah! Right on!

Oh wait....the Yanks still have the best record in baseball and the A's are still 6 games back in their division after a 6 game homestand and have played 5 more home than away games where they are <.500. They are by no means certain to have a wildcard spot.

The Yankees meanwhile have missed the playoffs once since 1995.
THe A's last made the playoffs in 2006, they haven't been to the world series since 1990 after which baseballs lopsided payrolls started to kick in ensuring Yankee dominance.

So seriously, you can slap as much "moneyball lipstick" on the pig that is MLB but the Yankees are still going to come out on top the vast majority of times unless you get very lucky and don't make any salary mistakes....something they don't have to worry about.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:57 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,761,229 times
I agree that the Yankees and the big market money teams are going to come out on top the vast majority-----yet indeed it is fun to see a well run franchise without the massive resources mounting a serious challenge to the elite.

Milwaukee is my hometown-----it was fun watching the Brewers make the playoffs twice in the last five years. They had to sacrifice a lot of their fine minor league talent to do it-----but with the way baseball is constructed now, if small market teams feel they have the opportunity to go for it, they may have to make substantial sacrifices to achieve success.

Yes the Brews are sliding back this year----their minor league talent is down-----but making the playoffs was a great experience for the community. They have a good organization and a solid owner---so they will be back.

Enjoy this experience Oakland fans-----the cream generally rises to the top-----but every once in awhile the cream can be drowned out by creative substitutes.

Old 07-24-2012, 12:59 PM

41,130 posts, read 18,599,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
. 11 walk-off's so far! .
I'm an A's fan, so this isn't sour grapes from a rival.

The 11 walkoff wins have made for very exciting games, but walkoffs are not a sign of a good team, merely a sign of a team enjoying great good fortune.

The sign of a strong team is how frequently it buries the opposition, how frequently it enters the 9th inning with a large enough lead so that no 11th hour heroics are needed.

Old 07-24-2012, 01:27 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,574,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Do you think a new stadium would help?
Well, that's what they are looking for in San Jose, and quite frankly, the fans in San Jose have supported the Sharks win or lose. Sacramento has supported the Rivercats (AAA Team for the A's) and has a nice river front stadium that could be expanded....
The Oakland Coliseum has to be one of the worst facilities in baseball, back in the late 80's when the Haas family owned the club, they put alot of lipstick on the pig and made it seem nice, they tried to keep thier star players, and played to win. Thier result was people in the stands, drawning 3 million a season, of course the Giants were terrible then, played in Candelstick park and were talking about moving to Florida. After the Giants were sold to locals and built a new stadium, and the Haas Family sold the A's, it was game over in Oakland.....Zero Local Media support.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:40 PM

52,032 posts, read 41,851,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefffla01 View Post
I agree that the Yankees and the big market money teams are going to come out on top the vast majority-----yet indeed it is fun to see a well run franchise without the massive resources mounting a serious challenge to the elite.

Milwaukee is my hometown-----it was fun watching the Brewers make the playoffs twice in the last five years. They had to sacrifice a lot of their fine minor league talent to do it-----but with the way baseball is constructed now, if small market teams feel they have the opportunity to go for it, they may have to make substantial sacrifices to achieve success.

Yes the Brews are sliding back this year----their minor league talent is down-----but making the playoffs was a great experience for the community. They have a good organization and a solid owner---so they will be back.

Enjoy this experience Oakland fans-----the cream generally rises to the top-----but every once in awhile the cream can be drowned out by creative substitutes.
Good post.

I just refuse to accept the current structure of MLB. It's like playing draw poker against someone that get's 7 cards to your 5. Sure, once in a while you will win. Moneyball works to some extent but often is just used as some sort of denial of how things really are and the fact that your team just got a little lucky too.

I don't think the A's will make the playoffs. Yankees will.

20 years from now the way the structure is, I predict 6+ AL penants and a 3-4 more world series wins for NY while the A's might win 1 penant, but I doubt it.

Old 07-24-2012, 02:41 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,431,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Oh wait....the Yanks still have the best record in baseball and the A's are still 6 games back in their division after a 6 game homestand and have played 5 more home than away games where they are <.500. They are by no means certain to have a wildcard spot.

THe A's last made the playoffs in 2006, they haven't been to the world series since 1990 after which baseballs lopsided payrolls started to kick in ensuring Yankee dominance.

So seriously, you can slap as much "moneyball lipstick" on the pig that is MLB but the Yankees are still going to come out on top the vast majority of times unless you get very lucky and don't make any salary mistakes....something they don't have to worry about.
All the guy said was it made him feel good to beat a team with a payroll which dwarfs his own; in this lopsided league, it's the most a small-market fan can hope for.

Old 07-24-2012, 03:59 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,441,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

Where did I say anything that indicated the Yankees are not a dominate team this season and just overall? When you always have highest payroll in the league one would kind of expect that as it's usually the case. Honestly, what went through your head when you read my post? Seems some bitterness from the series over the weekend caused you just to state the obvious like a typical obnoxious Yankees fan.

I was just happy the A's proved themselves against a team like the Yankees, that's all. With the A's I take it pretty much one series at a time and never come to expect much.

Last edited by sav858; 07-24-2012 at 04:08 PM..

Old 07-24-2012, 04:07 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,441,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandstander View Post
I'm an A's fan, so this isn't sour grapes from a rival.

The 11 walkoff wins have made for very exciting games, but walkoffs are not a sign of a good team, merely a sign of a team enjoying great good fortune.

The sign of a strong team is how frequently it buries the opposition, how frequently it enters the 9th inning with a large enough lead so that no 11th hour heroics are needed.
Where did I ever state they were "very good" or a "strong team"? All I said is that they are an exciting team to watch and also doing much better than expected. Some of you are acting like I said or indicated things I never did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball