U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 04:15 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,579,175 times

Advertisements

Ken Rosenthal from MLB Insider has the A's in trade rumors with the Marlins for Miami 3rd Baseman Hanley Ramirez... A former batting champion should certainly help Oakland's pathetic offence... But how much pitching do we give up???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2012, 04:46 PM

41,217 posts, read 18,624,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Where did I ever state they were "very good" or a "strong team"? All I said is that they are an exciting team to watch and also doing much better than expected. Some of you are acting like I said or indicated things I never did.
I don't know that you have ever said it, nor would I know where to look to try and find out if you had.

I used your reference to the walkups by way of introduction to my comments, it was not my intention to suggest that you were championing walkoffs as indictative of greatness, although I can see why you might have concluded so.

So, simply place my response in a vacuum, pretend it has nothing to do with your post.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:38 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,894,352 times
Quote:
Too much of the Bay Area is still stuck on the Giants nuts for now and the A's never get any national attention.
i wonder why...
2010 world series champs
first place in their division
4 all stars including the all star game MVP
one of the best stadiums in the league.

i aint mad at the A's tho they got some sick deals for tix. that friday 4 pack, the 2$ weds deals and this deal i saw at costco where you get 2 lower box tickets + voucher for food for 49$.

i've been to a few a's games this year, they've all been fun.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:11 PM

15,470 posts, read 25,462,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expect View Post
i wonder why...
2010 world series champs
first place in their division
I already knew why, yes a fluke championship that only took a half century to win. Oh yes and being first place in the weakest division in baseball. It's amazing how many panda and giraffe hats they can sell, they go great with the texting gloves.

Old 07-25-2012, 09:12 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,120 posts, read 7,579,175 times
I'm an A's fan always have been, but I've been to a few Giant's games as well.....Great Crowd, Great Stadium, lots of fun... I hope both teams do well....
Oh and Ramirez signed with the Dodgers this morning

Old 07-25-2012, 11:00 AM

12,205 posts, read 10,443,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali BassMan View Post
I'm an A's fan always have been, but I've been to a few Giant's games as well.....Great Crowd, Great Stadium, lots of fun... I hope both teams do well....
Oh and Ramirez signed with the Dodgers this morning
It's unfortunate the mean-spirited Giants ownership doesn't feel the same way.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It's unfortunate the mean-spirited Giants ownership doesn't feel the same way.
Part of the reason I can't stand that team, if it partly wasn't for the A's the Giants would be playing in Florida right now.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:09 PM

52,095 posts, read 41,903,893 times
Quote:
Where did I say anything that indicated the Yankees are not a dominate team this season and just overall? When you always have highest payroll in the league one would kind of expect that as it's usually the case. Honestly, what went through your head when you read my post? Seems some bitterness from the series over the weekend caused you just to state the obvious like a typical obnoxious Yankees fan.

I was just happy the A's proved themselves against a team like the Yankees, that's all. With the A's I take it pretty much one series at a time and never come to expect much.
1. I've never been a Yankee's fan. I gave up on MLB entirely in fact, once was a white sox fan long ago.

2. I'm challenging the people that "settle" for the current state of the league and are content to beg for crumbs that fall from the plates of the Yankees and a few others....clinging to the moneyball bible that if you wish upon a star you might just might have a good year once in a while.

3. I am in the KC area now. The level of delusion when I moved here was hillarious. Most fans around here now realize that they are a farm team.

4. I don't see the A's making the playoffs this year, I explained why. Most likely you won't be seeing the World Series in your lifetime (and I don't know how old you are). But hey, you are happy with your lowered expectations so who am I to argue but don't get all uptight because I'm bluntly telling you the truth. It hurts but denial is a powerful shield at times. Keep in mind that the A's are a very well run organization like the Twins and a few others and it's still a struggle. Go take a long hard look at the Twins, probably one of the best run teams in all of pro-sports over the last decade or so....

5. You'll never get the league to make payroll reforms by continuing to feed the beast.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Most likely you won't be seeing the World Series in your lifetime (and I don't know how old you are). But hey, you are happy with your lowered expectations so who am I to argue but don't get all uptight because I'm bluntly telling you the truth. It hurts but denial is a powerful shield at times.
Aside from just going off on a tangent based on my post you're doing nothing but stating the OBVIOUS. But I suppose you actually felt you were telling me or others something that we already didn't know, well you weren't.

The A's have already been in the WS 3 times in my lifetime, I was young but still remember that era. Hopefully with a new ballpark and a bigger payroll I don't see why it's so far fetched for them to make it back in the future, not anytime soon clearly.

Old 07-25-2012, 06:29 PM

12,205 posts, read 10,443,694 times
lol...the A's have 9 World Championships, 4 in Oakland (placing them third all-time). I'm pretty sure they'll win at least another pennant in our lifetimes, barring nuclear war.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball