U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 03:59 PM

7,529 posts, read 6,149,589 times

Advertisements

162 games made sense when only 2 playoff seeds per league were handed out. cream always rises to the top
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 04:02 PM

7,529 posts, read 6,149,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post
I think the NFL is popular for several reasons,

A. No work stoppage. Can you imagine if a Superbowl or two had been lost in the last 10-15 years due to a lockout? It would have been a disaster.

B. They've kept standards high. No changes to the game that are really impactful...i.e. like the NBA and how they've changed the defensive rules since the 90's.

C. Great marketing. Like NFL Films. Big fan base, includes women. The NFL doesn't seem to be scared of change (the same can't be said for every other league). Other leagues are more confused. Is the NBA really international?

D. They've been smart not to water down the league with expansion. I'd argue baseball might the most overexpanded sport. The Marlins are drawing 20 some thousand? That's worst than a 162 game season.

I think the NFL has benefited the most from the internet, HD, and the media options of the last 10 years. They have a more compact product. The superbowl still generates insane publicity.

I think the baseball schedule seems bigger now because we have more entertainment options, more things are happening. Look at all the UFC fights. They are up to 140? There use to be just a few big boxing matches a year. I dont think baseball will change their schedule.

Mostly good points here but I disagree with B. I recently watched a classic game from 1985 and it was like watching a different sport.

Old 07-27-2012, 05:21 PM

40,976 posts, read 18,573,926 times
I'm at a loss to understand those here advocating fewer ML games.

You are baseball fans who want less baseball?

And if you feel that there are too many games, isn't there an awfully easy remedy available.....not watching?

Your position leaves you not only demanding that you not have to watch as many games, but those who would like to watch should also be deprived.

Old 07-27-2012, 09:50 PM

11,084 posts, read 17,559,406 times
I don't want more baseball, I want better baseball. The talent is too diluted. A 100 game season would make each game more impactful/exciting and it would bring us a 4 (?) pitcher rotation instead of 5; therefore increasing the quality of the games while decreasing the quantity.

Old 07-27-2012, 11:03 PM

42,663 posts, read 74,269,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John23 View Post

B. They've kept standards high. No changes to the game that are really impactful...i.e. like the NBA and how they've changed the defensive rules since the 90's.

On the contrary, football rules have been watered down about half-way to touch football, in the interest of player safety, and we are only now beginning to understand the safety risk of football, so it has a lot further to go in that respect. Because baseball is a non-contact sport, that fact alone might be the main factor in the survival of baseball after football is dead and gone. Football fans are not going to keep on paying that kind of money to see ballet tackling.

Within the next couple of decades, there is a very good chance that high school football will be banned, except maybe touch or flag football, and where will the NFL be then?

When I played HS football, there was very little protection provided by equipment, no face guards at all, flexible helmets, leather shoulderpads. In the NFL, a ball carrier wasn't whistled down until there were enough defenders on top of him he couldn't crawl anymore.

Old 07-28-2012, 04:21 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,180,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
On the contrary, football rules have been watered down about half-way to touch football, in the interest of player safety, and we are only now beginning to understand the safety risk of football, so it has a lot further to go in that respect. Because baseball is a non-contact sport, that fact alone might be the main factor in the survival of baseball after football is dead and gone. Football fans are not going to keep on paying that kind of money to see ballet tackling.

Within the next couple of decades, there is a very good chance that high school football will be banned, except maybe touch or flag football, and where will the NFL be then?

When I played HS football, there was very little protection provided by equipment, no face guards at all, flexible helmets, leather shoulderpads. In the NFL, a ball carrier wasn't whistled down until there were enough defenders on top of him he couldn't crawl anymore.
I think football has become more modern...i.e., the technology, shoulder pads, training, etc. The rule changes haven't really impacted ratings or franchise values.

I think the rules would have been changed in the 50's-70's, if they had the medical technology to understand head injuries, concussions, like they do now, etc. The money and visability of football changed the game (TV contracts and Superbowl).

Fining guys that celebrate in the endzone is crazy. And there are other rules that are questionable. But in some areas, like handling instant replay, I think they've done well.

-I agree, baseball is probably in much better shape long term. Schools have gotten so politically correct and safety oriented, who knows what will happen to HS football.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:22 PM

14,260 posts, read 23,995,588 times
I think that there are a lot of issues that need to be addressed for baseball to be more popular. For the record, I USED to attend 10-15 games each year.

First, the season is way too long. I really DO NOT want to sit in the stands in early April at night in Cleveland, Chicago, Minnesota, and the like.

Even more than that, the game itself in so long. When do you need to have ten pitching changes every game? Do you really need 20+ seconds between every pitch.

Old 07-29-2012, 02:35 PM

13,293 posts, read 12,797,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I really DO NOT want to sit in the stands in early April at night in Cleveland, Chicago, Minnesota, and the like.
DO NOT go to a game in Cleveland, Chicago, or Minnesota in early April. One problem solved.

Old 07-30-2012, 12:16 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,737,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I really DO NOT want to sit in the stands in early April at night in Cleveland, Chicago, Minnesota, and the like.
Why not? Football fans watch games in much worse conditions.

Old 07-30-2012, 01:04 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,420,399 times
I think it's fine the way it is...a long season evens out hot & cold stretches, and even though the playoffs themselves are a crap-shoot, getting there is not (unlike those other sports mentioned). I also think the ability to win one's division will mean even more with the new wild-card configuration, making the 162-game season more imperative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Baseball
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or